Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 10, 2012, 02:57:37 PM
Wonderful tales, Ilaria! Could it have been me that you were buying that Mahler cycle for? I hope it's the Michael Tilson Thomas set!  ;D  ;D

Hahaha, I'm afraid not, Daniel ;) I only had to buy a Mahler Cycle as a present for someone; but I admit I had that dream after our discussion about the Bernstein Mahler cycle. :) I didn't dream the MTT set either, the interpreters weren't pointed out in the boxes.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Henk on June 10, 2012, 11:16:32 AM
It's obvious that I have insulted you in your greatest life-fullfilment. That wasn't the purpose.
:P ;D  ;)

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 10, 2012, 12:31:02 PM
1. About the first one, I clearly remember a fragment: I was in a music shop and I had to choose a box-set of Mahler's symphonies as a present for a friend of mine; after I had looked at some recordings, I laid my eyes on a completely blank box. When I took it in my hands to see it better, I heard a voice calling me: it was Leonard Bernstein who said: "Don't buy that one, this one is much more powerful, believe me". He gave me a box-set with beautiful pictures (but the interpreters weren't specified), and after thanking him very much, I bought that version and I left the shop.
Hmmm... I think Ubloobideega was the conductor of the blank box. His intention was to shatter the universe with perfect Mahler interpretations that transcend time, space, and existence (the blankness was supposed to represent eternal nothingness), but the resulting interpretations turned out to be a bunch of duds. Same could be said for his very existence...  ::)

As for musical dreams, here's one from 3 years ago that I still remember:

Quote from: Greg on April 01, 2009, 07:09:05 PM
A few nights ago, a very entertaining dream. It's under the category of an "epic" dream because of clarity and length, yet the scenario is completely different from a normal epic dream. I was lucky because I only had this dream because I forgot to set my alarm clock and was supposed to wake up an hour earlier. It was worth being late for this one.  8)

I was at a concert where a string quartet was playing through the complete cycle of Shostakovich string quartets. They get up to 7 (which was really 11, but I subconsciously get those numbers mixed up because of the 7/11 gas station), when the one of the violinists, who leads from the beginning of the string quartet- you know, that opening- sees, or more like, I see, the tip of her bow at the bottom of my metal chair leg, and it's stuck. Somehow, she's able to bow, although slightly agitated.

At the end of one of the movements (in my dream I considered it the finale, but I'd have to go back and check, because I don't think it is), there's this passage where the cello and one of the other instruments plays a two-note repeating motif that gets louder, faster, more intense, and the violinist whose bow is stuck under my chair is supposed to finish it off. She can't because now the whole string is broken, so we laugh about it.

Then, some old guy sitting in the middle of the audience gets up and protests the music (i was sitting on the far right). He says, "This music is not sexually aesthetic!" Then some guy walks in from behind all of us and we all turn our heads to look. I can't remember now what he says, but I think he explains the music or something.
Now that I think about it, this had to be the result of a combination of listening to the Shosty SQs and reading the posts of Sydney Grew around that time.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Greg on June 10, 2012, 05:27:46 PM
Hmmm... I think Ubloobideega was the conductor of the blank box. His intention was to shatter the universe with perfect Mahler interpretations that transcend time, space, and existence (the blankness was supposed to represent eternal nothingness), but the resulting interpretations turned out to be a bunch of duds. Same could be said for his very existence...  ::)

Vielen Dank, Herr Doktor ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ibanezmonster

10 hours of sleep... so many dreams that I can't remember them all (only fragments of about 5 separate dreams).

I got lucid twice. One time, I woke up as soon as I did. The other time, I flew around for about 10 seconds.  ::) I really wonder why this stuff happens...

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on June 12, 2012, 07:19:32 AM
I really wonder why this stuff happens...
Probably because, for a week now, my mind has been all over the place (and extremely noticeable today). This often carries over to sleep.

Snyprrr, get out of my mind!  :P

Karl Henning

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaahhh!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

An entertaining thread on another forum about fever dreams:

http://www.lucidipedia.com/forum.php?section=viewtopic&t=3675

Quotei remember all my life, whenever i am sick my dreams are messed up. they usually consist of needing do do something important, and never being able to accomplish the goal. then they repeat. and they usually lack any sort of visuals, just concepts and frusterating ideas. during these dreams i seem to be 1/4 awake/ 1/4 discomfort and 1/2 asleep. i feel like my blankets are wrapped up aound my,constricting me.

for example: "i am currently sick and this is the dream i had last night " : i needed to obtain 4 bullet proof vests in order to get somewhere or do something. i knew where the vests were and how to get them. but paradoxically the location had absolutely no value... i mean the location was a concept/an idea, not a dimensional existence... im just not articulate enough to describe...

then some body else got 2 of the vests and i failed, again the person really wasnt there, i just new it... then the dream started over with even less detail then i described befor. the entire time i felt suffocated by my sheets that were wrapped up in my legs...

Anyone read this and recall vividly a fever dream experience that felt the EXACT SAME WAY?

or this?

QuoteI had possibly the worst nightmare I've ever had while sick and your "not a dimensional existence" fits it perfectly. I'd had a fever and was in and out of sleep all day and it was becoming hard to distinguish which was which.

In the dream everything was black, or rather there was no visual content. Actually, there was no sensory information telling me that I was anywhere at all. I couldn't see, hear, touch, smell anything and had no sense of balance telling me which way was up - as if I was just a lone consciousness in the void.

Imagine you close your eyes and the world just goes away. Then you only have what is going on in your head and a sense of inside and outside.

Suddenly, from somewhere 'outside' numbers and equations start flooding in. It's just a random mess of meaningless information being uploaded to my mind from 'somewhere' - a little bit like being trapped in a small dark room with water flooding in and nowhere for it to go. I started to feel my own thoughts being crowded out of my mind, replaced by the numeric nonsense. I felt pure terror. Was I going crazy? Was this some kind of spiritual DDOS?

I woke up at 3am, heart pounding, in a cold sweat trying to get my head around what had happened, but even to think about it was to relive it. I couldn't even close my eyes again without seeing the equations.

Mine was gray Tetris blocks falling in a 3D cube which contained bolts of electricity all around it, and I had to solve it all, but there was no solution. It was just me fitting in the blocks, trying to accomplish something which didn't even make sense- a very stressful experience. This was many years ago.
I wonder what the scientific explanation for the overactivity of thinking during a fever dream is...?

ibanezmonster

My second "car dream" last night. My first was (idk, a year ago?) about owning an NSX. This time, it was a black convertible Corvette. Somehow, I bought it for either $3,500 or $35,000, with only a couple hundred miles on it. At the end of the dream, I'm in a parking lot, looking for my car and can't find it. I feared that by leaving the top down, someone was more easily able to steal it.

Waking up, I realize how I missed two really HUGE dream signs that could lead me to question reality and become lucid, but I never did.  ::)

ibanezmonster

This morning, dreamed I was driving down the highway when I saw a sign for "(name of a girl I used to know)'s Nail Salon." I pull up to see if it's really her's. It's not actually in a building, but in one of those outdoor business tent-things. I talk to these two Asians (probably typically Vietnamese lol) and they act like I don't know who I'm talking about, until I say that it is this blonde girl that is this tall who I'm looking for. Then she walks up and I get to talk to her; it's her place, after all. She says that it would be nice to hang out (this would only happen in a dream lol) and so, in the last scene, we were climbing fake rock walls. Random.

Last morning, I had a false awakening. I was actually hearing crunching sounds above my head, and I see about 5 roaches crawling around on a hook, right above me. I get out of bed and kill a couple that fall down on my bed with my wallet, but one of them is too big. Then I woke up. (The crunching sounds continued for about 10 minutes).

I've also had a couple of short lucid dreams... just trying to figure out how to be more consistent, as always.

ibanezmonster

For some reason, I ended up sleeping 12 hours last night, which is easily a record.

I had so many dreams that I couldn't even count them, but one curious one that I remember involved being in class with some Arab guy that said he isn't really interested in anything except for (computer) networking. "You connect one side to the other, and it's just... fascinating." Okay...  ::)

ibanezmonster

Dreamed that there was something really evil (forgot what it was, a squirrel or something?) that I had to obey in order to not be killed.

Then, as I was in bed, I saw a small, circle-shaped white light on the wall. I would not look at it for a second, and then it would change position. I did this several times until I decided to get up and confront whatever I suspected was right outside my window. I did so and woke up. Then I realized that in my dream, I was actually in my bed from my old house 6 years ago.

ibanezmonster

Awesome lucid dreams last night, I just have to say...

hehe GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRREEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT stuff  ;) 8)

Anyways, I think I get it now.
For becoming lucid in the first place, you have to feel like lucid dreaming. Wanting to exercise is different from genuinely feeling like exercising, for example. This would explain my inconsistency.

For dream control, in a sense, you have to realize that the subconscious really has most of the control. Every action should feel natural and not deliberate. Continuing through with intended actions that don't feel natural will lead to waking up.

ibanezmonster

Last night's dream isn't particularly interesting to read about, but...

it felt like two full days. It was so strongly my reality that during the morning, I had a few moments where I was surprised at my reality and how it works as if I had forgotten about my own life.

The first day, I ended up making friends with a girl by purposefully bumping into her, which forced us to talk (weird logic, huh?). I then ended up making friends with all of her girl friends, and we ate lunch together. The second day, I did the same to another girl because I couldn't remember what the first girl looked like. Same story with meeting her friends. However, I remember virtually nothing about this- just that it happened.

It was a profoundly calming dream. Even though these were all girls, and I targeted the first ones because they looked good, there was nothing dirty at all, and it was just a development of a friendship (I've had, what, 2 or 3 close-ish friends that were girls in my entire life?). I have these dreams sometimes before or during days of long, intense work. I don't use any types of chemicals to ease the pain, so at least my body is smart enough to something about it.

ibanezmonster

Variations on a theme...

I wonder why the mind makes up stories and then believes them so strongly sometimes...
on my lunch break, I couldn't let myself fall asleep, but I really almost did within 5 minutes of sitting in the car. I started thinking about a group of girls that used to come to the place I work a few years ago, and I was trying to remember them. However, after waking up from the 3 minute "nap," I realized they never existed and that my mind made it all up. (Note odd similarity to previous post's dream).

Last night, my dream was about being on a basketball court (either elementary school or middle school- they are close and on the same road) near where I used to live. I stopped to think that in the past, I had visited one of my old friends from years ago, since I was friends with them on Facebook, but I was struggling to remember who it was. When I woke up, I realized I never met any of my old friends ever and my mind was making stuff up.

Three dreams in a row about meeting people I really like that don't exist?...

...also became lucid last night but messed it up.  :P

Mirror Image

I once had a dream that I was asleep dreaming...

Szykneij

At this rate, Greg, you're going to start believing there really is a classical music forum called GMG. 
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

I dreamt your typing that, Tony.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 28, 2012, 08:48:55 PM
I once had a dream that I was asleep dreaming...
A few times this year I dreamed that I was sleeping, but not that I was dreaming. That's very Inception-y.

Quote from: Szykneij on October 29, 2012, 05:33:50 AM
At this rate, Greg, you're going to start believing there really is a classical music forum called GMG. 
Oh, yeah, like I'll ever believe that.  ::)
What is called, the Gray Music Group, because everyone who listens to classical music has gray (or white) hair?

Mirror Image

I once had a dream of a dream of another dream.