Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: EigenUser on May 07, 2014, 02:16:37 PM
Yeah, Shostakovich really dropped the ball there...

That's pretty funny. I love how dreams are often just a collage a bunch of unrelated things.

Maybe Shostakovich Debussy used his dreams as a foundation for his compositions....   :laugh:
I don't want to know anything about Stockhausen's dreams! Nope! No way!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

ibanezmonster

Quote from: EigenUser on May 07, 2014, 02:16:37 PM
Yeah, Shostakovich really dropped the ball there...

That's pretty funny. I love how dreams are often just a collage a bunch of unrelated things.
Yeah, though I believe that at the time I must have had in mind this guy who used to post here who was against this type of music (not specifically Shostakovich, but that type of stuff in general) who always used the word "aesthetics" when bashing that typing of music. The Pink Harp/Eric Anderson was the guy, and I think that's how the phrase appeared in mind.  ;D

EigenUser

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 02:18:36 PM
Maybe Shostakovich Debussy used his dreams as a foundation for his compositions....   :laugh:
Nah... that was Scriabin.

Are most of you familiar with Ligeti's childhood 'spider-web' dream? He says that it influenced his compositions (referring to it in interviews).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 02:18:36 PM
You don't want to know about the alien probes?  ???
James assures us that they were deep and profound ..

ibanezmonster

Quote from: EigenUser on May 07, 2014, 02:21:50 PM
Nah... that was Scriabin.

Are most of you familiar with Ligeti's childhood 'spider-web' dream? He says that it influenced his compositions (referring to it in interviews).
Ooh, never heard of it. What about it?

EigenUser

Quote from: Greg on May 07, 2014, 02:20:42 PM
Yeah, though I believe that at the time I must have had in mind this guy who used to post here who was against this type of music (not specifically Shostakovich, but that type of stuff in general) who always used the word "aesthetics" when bashing that typing of music. The Pink Harp/Eric Anderson was the guy, and I think that's how the phrase appeared in mind.  ;D
Man, I missed all of the eccentrics!  :(
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ibanezmonster

Quote from: EigenUser on May 07, 2014, 02:22:37 PM
Man, I missed all of the eccentrics!  :(
Yes you did. This place used to get crazy at times.

EigenUser

Quote from: Greg on May 07, 2014, 02:22:27 PM
Ooh, never heard of it. What about it?
Here is something I found Googling:
But there are also darker psychological reasons for Ligeti's affinity with polyphony. Ligeti himself related the strands at work in Apparitions to his severe arachnophobia, and specifically to a childhood dream in which, as he once recalled, 'the whole room was filled with a dense confused tangle of fine filaments... I was caught up in this immense web with both living things and objects of various kinds – huge moths and a variety of beetles – which tried to get to the flickering flame of the candle in the room.'

North Star

Quote from: Greg on May 07, 2014, 02:12:09 PM
One of my dreams from 2009:

QuoteThen, some old guy sitting in the middle of the audience gets up and protests the music (i was sitting on the far right). He says, "This music is not sexually aesthetic!" Then some guy walks in from behind all of us and we all turn our heads to look. I can't remember now what he says, but I think he explains the music or something.
:D I've seen enough of ye (pronounced 'the') olde (pron. 'old') posts to have thought that this must have been Pink Harp..
You, sitting on the far right, would have protestedfor political reasons, of course  0:) 0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on May 07, 2014, 04:08:15 PM
Wanna bet?
Hey, aside from my fascination with Bartok, Ravel, and Ligeti and my strange obsession with Debussy's "Jeux", I'm not THAT eccentric!

ibanezmonster

Last night had a dream where I was in the middle of a school shooting. I was with a group of students in some room when everyone starts running out the door outside. Then I find some small bathroom to hide in, but the door is a bit different: a rusty old door with no lock and it swung both ways. Two other people went inside after I did and we sat there, waiting for it to pass. However, through the door, there was an opening where you could see through, and I was the only one visible because the other two people I was with where taking up space, forcing me to sit in a visible area of the bathroom. At this point I realize it's a dream, so I play out the scenarios in my imagination. I think of the scenario where the shooter sees me through the opening and then I kick the door, which swings the other way and it knocks him down. Then I take his gun and shoot him.  ;D

mn dave

I dream about celebrities sometimes, but in all my dreams I am the star.  0:)

EigenUser

Last night I had a dream that I was guest-conducting my high school orchestra in "Rite". I have conducted once in my senior concert so it isn't a huge stretch (although it wasn't "Rite", rather something I composed :( ). The thing that was interesting is that Simon Rattle was there (with the orchestra teacher) and both were giving me friendly advice. I specifically remember that one of them (forgot which) said I was running through the part I intro too fast.

EigenUser

Another music-related dream: This morning I woke up in the midst of dreaming about Ligeti's "Chamber Concerto". I think I was explaining the piece to someone and I woke up while I was thinking/talking about the "clocks" of the third movement.

EigenUser

Ok, here's a good one. Last night I had a dream that I was at a live performance of Stockhausen's "Cosmic Pulses". There was another concert in the same building that was for kids (something like "Cinderella", I can't remember) and there were some parents who accidentally brought their kids to the Stockhausen performance.

Oddly, I just remembered as of this afternoon.

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on June 04, 2014, 10:12:20 AM
there were some parents who accidentally brought their kids to the Stockhausen performance.

And people call my avatar horrifying.

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on June 04, 2014, 10:12:20 AM
Ok, here's a good one. Last night I had a dream that I was at a live performance of Stockhausen
Oh, a nightmare, then.
QuoteThere was another concert in the same building that was for kids (something like "Cinderella", I can't remember)
The phrase 'oh, to be young again' comes to mind..
Quoteand there were some parents who accidentally brought their kids to the Stockhausen performance.
Now there's a clearcut case for child welfare social workers.
QuoteOddly, I just remembered as of this afternoon.
Hmm, that is odd. Perhaps it's a repressed memory from your own childhood - I'd suggest you let it be, and stop listening to Karlheinz's krazy musik.  0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on June 04, 2014, 12:26:05 PM
Now there's a clearcut case for child welfare social workers.
:laugh:

Actually, I think "Cosmic Pulses" would be very cool to see/hear in octophonic (or whatever the number is) sound. I still think of it as more "sound" than "music", but it's a cool sound.

TheGSMoeller

I dream of being an astronaut one day.

Did I do this wrong?  ???