Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Jo498 on October 21, 2014, 06:37:20 AM
So you already put the date of your demise on a virtual tombstone? I cannot read the exact number, but that seems rather morbid (and it is not 2045)...

Not my "date of expiration," I hope!  ;)  ZauberdrachenNr.7, my avatar, was mortally wounded (or was he?) by my GMG friend Ken B.'s avatar (St. George & the Dragon). I'm hoping Z7 will be resurrected but he really gets into the Hallowe'en spirit so morbidity, as you say, is the order of the day.  What if he comes back as a Zombie Zauberdrachen (if so, should he keep the same number?) munching on parts of other GMGers' avatars?  I sure hope not.

Forum members' varying approach to (and interpretation of) avatars is interesting - for some they carry or reflect meaning, maybe even some symbolic magic.  They are relatively meaningless to many. For others, they're a playground.  Some will shift between those factions depending...  I wonder to what extent a member's approach to avatars might reflect the nature of their interpretations of music, art, literature or even - as in this thread - dreams.  Personally, I envy the composer avatars but am uncomfortable with idolatry on the one hand and on the other feel inferior - musically - to my favorite composers' genius.   My moment of musical fame began and ended in the '60s in a local band called "The Happy Soup Group."  There has been no demand for a reunion!

Karl Henning

No demand for happy soup? 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: karlhenning on October 21, 2014, 08:35:17 AM
No demand for happy soup? 8)

Hard to fathom, eh?  Or stomach?   :)  But it was souper fun.

Jo498

Ok, I am glad that it was only an avatar and there will be a reincarnation as Zauberdrachen Nummer Acht.
What does the second line say "ich will es wären Deine"?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Jo498 on October 21, 2014, 08:50:42 AM
Ok, I am glad that it was only an avatar and there will be a reincarnation as Zauberdrachen Nummer Acht.
What does the second line say "ich will es wären Deine"?

Thank you, Jo498! The tombstone reads in toto:

Hier liegen meine Gebeine,
Ich wollt' es wären Deine.

But not yours, Jo498.  0:)

Karl Henning

Oh, my darling Clementeine . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on October 21, 2014, 09:18:21 AM
Thank you, Jo498! The tombstone reads in toto:

Hier liegen meine Gebeine,
Ich wollt' es wären Deine.

Great!
I actually read "Träume" instead "Gebeine" (priming by the thread title) and was wondering how to explain that it has to be "wollte" not "will". I am really puzzled about that. Why does the wishing verb have to be put in conjunctive/optative, not only the clause expressing the wish?
It is a crazy language; I am glad I never had to learn it consciously.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Jo498 on October 21, 2014, 09:49:31 AM
Great!
I actually read "Träume" instead "Gebeine" (priming by the thread title) and was wondering how to explain that it has to be "wollte" not "will". I am really puzzled about that. Why does the wishing verb have to be put in conjunctive/optative, not only the clause expressing the wish?
It is a crazy language; I am glad I never had to learn it consciously.

Subjunctive, I believe you mean - verb forms in that epitaph are high-falutin' 18th century German and much more formal than would be used nowadays. They're from Karl Julius Weber; he wanted them on his gravestone but his family would not allow it.  Bit of a Til Eulenspiegel himself, that one!

Jo498

Yes, subjunctive is probably the modern and correct term. (We called it "Konjunktiv I" in school. Wishing sentences would be in conjunctive mode in Latin and optative mode in Greek.)

It may be because one is familiar with such epitaphs, but it is still standard language. To me it does sound completely wrong to say "Ich will, es wären Deine". One could say "Ich wünsche (mir), es wären Deine". (This does not sound wrong, but subjunctive would also be possible and maybe even more idiomatic.)
There is a somewhat silly song (done by Comedian Harmonists among others) that begins: "Ich wollt' ich wär ein Huhn, ich hätt' nicht viel zu tun, ich legte jeden Tag ein Ei und sonntags auch mal zwei." Clearly not formal language, although I guess in everyday speech the subjunctive tends to die out. It seems as if the subjunctive mode from the claus expressing the wish forces alignment of the wishing verb to the same mode in some cases.
- Blaise Pascal

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Jo498 on October 21, 2014, 10:21:06 AM
Yes, subjunctive is probably the modern and correct term. (We called it "Konjunktiv I" in school. Wishing sentences would be in conjunctive mode in Latin and optative mode in Greek.)

It may be because one is familiar with such epitaphs, but it is still standard language. To me it does sound completely wrong to say "Ich will, es wären Deine". One could say "Ich wünsche (mir), es wären Deine". (This does not sound wrong, but subjunctive would also be possible and maybe even more idiomatic.)
There is a somewhat silly song (done by Comedian Harmonists among others) that begins: "Ich wollt' ich wär ein Huhn, ich hätt' nicht viel zu tun, ich legte jeden Tag ein Ei und sonntags auch mal zwei." Clearly not formal language, although I guess in everyday speech the subjunctive tends to die out. It seems as if the subjunctive mode from the claus expressing the wish forces alignment of the wishing verb to the same mode in some cases.

I think that is the case, er... subjunctive case. :)  Tell me, Jo, is it ok for me to use B (capital B) as the Eszett, to be understood?  And aren't you trying to eliminate the Eszett to ss, instead?  How's that going?  (sorry GMGers this prob. belongs in a PM but it's prob. of interest to a bunch of you). 

Karl Henning

If I were to use the subjunctive mood . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: karlhenning on October 21, 2014, 10:50:38 AM
If I were to use the subjunctive mood . . . .

Are you in a good mood?

Jo498

B for eszett looks odd, but it is recognizable. Officially it is much better to use ss, though. In former times even "sz" was used, but I find this confusing as well. After all, it is just two forms of the s (the one that looks almost like an f and the normal one) joined together. Switzerland got rid of "ß" quite a long time ago, so there you might have to pay a Busse if you drive in a lane reserved for Busse and you will improve your Masse (around the hips) if you reduce your Masse.
But in Germany (and Austria I guess) the letter survived the notorious "Rechtschreibreform" (orthography reform) of the 90s, although it is less frequent now because of some rule changes. It now follows only after short vowels, so Fluß became Fluss and the conjunction daß became dass (and ist still to be distinguished from the article and relative pronoun das). Note that the words above that are homographs in Swiss spelling are still distinguished in German reform spelling, because they are not homophones and one of each pairs has a long vowel.
As someone who left school before the Reform I still think it sucks (because I was pretty good at orthography and now a have to think more instead of doing stuff by habit and because I think it was a big waste of money, resources etc.).
- Blaise Pascal

ibanezmonster

It's been over a year since the last post on this thread.  ;D

Couple thoughts on lucid dreaming:

1) For lucid dream induction- The only thing consistent seems to be something like waking up after ~7 hours of sleep to noise, and then being stuck awake while trying to fall back asleep despite the noise for ~5-10 minutes. If the noise stops, then I'm in luck because then I can proceed to lucid dream. If not, like this morning, I'll continuously go into a dream for a few seconds and then wake up again repeatedly.

So my plan is to write an app that will make a noise every 30 seconds for 5-10 minutes and then stop. But it would be more useful when I live by myself, because I can't stop the noise in my house from preventing from lucid dreaming or even getting enough sleep.

2) For lucid dream control- It seems the word "confidence" is used to achieve certain things that may seem difficult to do in a lucid dream (for me, that would be summoning people). But I have observed that "assertiveness" is the better approach. Assertively tell you dream that someone is around the corner, but don't be aggressive about it.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Last night I dreamt that someone I spoke to once or twice from another forum filed a lawsuit against me for chatting to her.

ibanezmonster

This morning, woke up after 7 hours of sleep to noise yet again, tried to go back to sleep but after 20 minutes turned on a looped binaural recording to listen to on my phone. Either that drowned out the noise or it got quiet.

Had several lucid dreams.

-running across the roof of my work like a ninja. I've noticed this is the most common thing I do in lucid dreams. It seems to be the most stabilizing, as well. Possibly because it forces you to focus on "grounding" yourself in the dream?
-went with my dad to some restaurant, where the counters were about 10 feet tall and all they served was "draft beer." Oh well.
-tried to impress someone in my dream by making a basketball shot extremely far from the hoop. They paid no attention and I ended up overshooting and the ball fell in the grass. Then I used my telekenetic powers to lift the ball up from the grass into the hoop.

But I'm not so sure any more about my assertion from my last post that it's all about "assertiveness" rather than "confidence" when it comes to summoning people in my dream. Yesterday morning, I was dreaming that I was in the office that I had been going to regularly and while approaching the next cubicle, I had asserted than an anime character I liked would be there, and it worked! But this morning, on one of my dreams I tried to imagine a character materializing before my eyes. Didn't work, never has. I see a ghost-like image of them appear before I have to stop trying or else it would destabilize and end the dream.

Maybe... getting a specific person to appear in your dream relies on how much you can shed your sense of doubt? I noticed this is precisely the case when it comes to something like flying- if I doubt I can, I can't; but if I realize that I can since I've done it so many times, then I can. But getting a "living, breathing" person to appear in my dream right in front of me seems challenging before I even attempt it. And I had no sense of doubt while getting the character in the office to appear.

greg

Bumping this thread because there is some stuff to write here, maybe more so later.

Last night dreamed my dog from years ago was actually live and then he said his name.  :D

Night before that was completely confused about where i am currently living and thought about about the previous places i lived and just became jumbled up and couldn't figure it out.

Been analyzing my three most recurrent types of dreams, and came to the conclusion that they all point to one thing:
The feeling of wanting to escape.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

geralmar

I dreamt Otto Klemperer's real name was Barry O'Brian and that he once ran for president of the U.S.

Neither is even remotely correct.  I checked.

greg

Dreamed about going to the movies and there was a line where they let you throw tomatoes at TVs in the lobby. When it was finally my turn, people got in the way and I never got to throw them.  >:(

Watched The Evil Dead last night, maybe has something to do with it?...

greg

The quarantine got me dreaming of going outside and... skateboarding?  ???

Never learned how to skateboard but probably wouldn't dare to do it in public until spending at least a few hours practicing in a closed, empty garage which I don't have until I eventually move into a house. So will have to wait a few years...