Author Topic: Bug report  (Read 535898 times)

Ratliff

Re: Bug report
« Reply #1480 on: May 24, 2020, 04:58:58 PM »
I had to log in again. Did I miss something?

Site seems to work just fine.

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #1481 on: May 24, 2020, 05:07:09 PM »

Same here. I assumed another behind the scenes upgrade like the last time.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #1482 on: May 24, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »

Same here
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #1483 on: May 24, 2020, 06:07:21 PM »

Yep, I wonder what that was all about? System reboot?
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #1484 on: June 03, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »
Another crash has occurred.  :(

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #1485 on: June 03, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
Yes as major as the one before....same error, I wonder if all the postings are gone again $:)
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1486 on: June 03, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »
Looks like 2-3 days of posting have disappeared. Everything is transient... 0:)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • politically incorrect = pi = 3.141592654...
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1487 on: June 03, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »
How is disc space on server? Problems may occur when say 10 % of disc space is only free. All kinds of large temp files are created and if they are too big to fit things go easily south... what if the software upgrade made things worse in this sense?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Ecclesiastical Secularism"

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #1488 on: June 08, 2020, 02:01:12 PM »
Server disk space is fine - running at about 30%. The CPU load is the issue. Most of the time the server is running at a combined load of 2.5 for 48 CPU's. That means that my share of the server is using just 2.5/48 = 5% of my allocated capacity. But sometimes it spikes to a server load over 48, meaning I am using more than 100% of my allocated capacity. These are short bursts, but enough to throw the safety systems and cause a crash. I'm investigating what is causing these spikes in load. The new forum software doesn't seem to be the issue.
 Macs are better. They just are.

Ratliff

« Reply #1489 on: June 08, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »
I don't have direct experience, obviously, but that doesn't ring true to me. If the load limit is exceeded your process will just wait for the scheduler to give it more cpu cycles. It would just get slow.

Maybe you have cause and effect reversed. There is a bug, a race conditions or an infinite loop, and a symptom is that load goes to infinity before the ultimate crash.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1490 on: June 08, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »
All day today, « Show new replies to your posts » has given me a ‘server under high stress try later’ error message. I can still see all the threads, but have to use « Show unread posts since last visit » instead. Why would one option work and not the other if the server is under high stress ?

Ratliff

« Reply #1491 on: June 08, 2020, 02:49:08 PM »
All day today, « Show new replies to your posts » has given me a ‘server under high stress try later’ error message. I can still see all the threads, but have to use « Show unread posts since last visit » instead. Why would one option work and not the other if the server is under high stress ?

Historically one option has been more sensitive to stress than the other, for as long as I can remember. A quirk in the way the two routines define stress, I suppose.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #1492 on: June 08, 2020, 03:29:35 PM »
Historically one option has been more sensitive to stress than the other, for as long as I can remember. A quirk in the way the two routines define stress, I suppose.

Yes. Possibly also there's a little more 'personalisation' work involved in the routine that has to look for threads that have your messages in them, not just threads that have updated since the last time you were logged in.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #1493 on: June 08, 2020, 03:38:23 PM »
Server disk space is fine - running at about 30%. The CPU load is the issue. Most of the time the server is running at a combined load of 2.5 for 48 CPU's. That means that my share of the server is using just 2.5/48 = 5% of my allocated capacity. But sometimes it spikes to a server load over 48, meaning I am using more than 100% of my allocated capacity. These are short bursts, but enough to throw the safety systems and cause a crash. I'm investigating what is causing these spikes in load. The new forum software doesn't seem to be the issue.

Thanks for your continued work and dedication to this forum, Rob!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Ratliff

« Reply #1494 on: June 08, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »
Seems like the site has been alternating between doing fine and unavailable, minute to minute. Crashing and rebooting?

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #1495 on: June 09, 2020, 05:02:47 AM »
If the load limit is exceeded your process will just wait for the scheduler to give it more cpu cycles. It would just get slow.

It would be like that if the server was a real dedicated computer but things nowadays are more complicated.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten." - Marie Antoinette

Ratliff

« Reply #1496 on: June 09, 2020, 05:37:52 AM »
It would be like that if the server was a real dedicated computer but things nowadays are more complicated.

Well, yes, it is complicated. The implementation is complicated. But preemptive multitasking has been with us since the 70's. If the CPU is doing something else a task stops executing and becomes dormant until the scheduler allows it to resume. I find it hard to believe that the world runs on a system where, if your process asks for more cpu cycles than the quota allows, it blows your system away and you have to restore from backup.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #1497 on: June 09, 2020, 08:57:34 AM »
I haven’t had any issues since the last crash. [Knocks on wood --- i.e. my head.] :)
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1498 on: July 09, 2020, 08:51:00 AM »
A question for someone here:  After a heads-up from the DM, I bookmarked the good music guide website like this

https://good-music-guide.com

And I removed the bookmark that I previously had started off with just http (no s), so that I could sign in securely.

In the Safari browser bar, I start typing in good, pick the https one (even though the other still comes up) and click on it.  Then when I get to the main page, I click on the classical music forum, click on login and go to sign in.  This is where the problem comes in:  I have to attempt to login in twice before it will let me in.  Am I doing something incorrectly?  Does anyone else here have this problem?  i literally have to type my name and password in twice.

Best wishes,

PD

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #1499 on: July 09, 2020, 08:58:44 AM »
A question for someone here:  After a heads-up from the DM, I bookmarked the good music guide website like this

https://good-music-guide.com

And I removed the bookmark that I previously had started off with just http (no s), so that I could sign in securely.

In the Safari browser bar, I start typing in good, pick the https one (even though the other still comes up) and click on it.  Then when I get to the main page, I click on the classical music forum, click on login and go to sign in.  This is where the problem comes in:  I have to attempt to login in twice before it will let me in.  Am I doing something incorrectly?  Does anyone else here have this problem?  i literally have to type my name and password in twice.

Best wishes,

PD

I have never had this problem, nor do I have an Apple machine on which to attempt to simulate it, so I can't help you there. However, no matter what platform you are using, when the login box comes up, there is a checkbox available which says "Stay logged in forever". I checked it when we went to this software version in 2007 and I haven't logged in since. Obviously this isn't the sort of thing you would want to do with just any website, but for a classical music chat board, using your own device, IMO you are not giving up any security by checking the box. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106