Author Topic: Bug report  (Read 535674 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Bug report
« Reply #1220 on: September 24, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »
I agree with your conclusion.

I think the bots see a server that has (on the global internet scale of things) a small presence, and therefore try to make it a vector for attacking other sites.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #1221 on: September 24, 2019, 09:51:16 AM »
I think the bots see a server that has (on the global internet scale of things) a small presence, and therefore try to make it a vector for attacking other sites.

Your absolutely right. That is what is happening.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Ken B

« Reply #1222 on: September 24, 2019, 10:14:43 AM »
Huh? I don’t see the mechanism you mean. How do guests reading these pages attack other sites? It looks like bots overloading the server behind GMG by hitting GMG pages. Ie the classic denial of service attack.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #1223 on: September 24, 2019, 10:22:03 AM »
Huh? I don’t see the mechanism you mean. How do guests reading these pages attack other sites? It looks like bots overloading the server behind GMG by hitting GMG pages. Ie the classic denial of service attack.

Refer to Scarpia's post upthread for the explanation. 

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #1224 on: September 24, 2019, 10:51:20 AM »
438 guests and 8 users
I use also the Firefox and no messages

"guests" - Men from Porlock
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Ken B

« Reply #1225 on: September 24, 2019, 11:51:12 AM »
I made this comment earlier, but I think no one saw it because it was during the period when my posts had to be approved by a moderator, and it didn't appear until it has already been buried by pages of subsequent posts.

I think it is worth considering the possibility that this site is not being attacked by bots, as seems to be assumed. It is possible that this site is periodically attacking another site as part of a DDoS attack. Possibly someone has managed to install malicious software on the server that is periodically attacking some other site, consuming system resources and making this site unresponsive, as a side effect. I wonder if the Dungeon Master has checked for an unfamiliar process running on the server and generating a lot of network traffic. The main argument for this; how could it possibly be an anyone interest to deny access to this site?

The problem with this theory is that such activity wouldn’t obviously show up as guests here, and the slow down is strongly linked to the number of guests. Why should a virus running on the server show up as a guest Connecting via http to a site running on that server?

Heyst

« Reply #1226 on: September 24, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »
The problem with this theory is that such activity wouldn’t obviously show up as guests here, and the slow down is strongly linked to the number of guests. Why should a virus running on the server show up as a guest Connecting via http to a site running on that server?

Possibly the guests are a red herring. The number of guests has been high compared with the period before problems started, but I notice that the problem comes and goes at different times of day while the number of guests remains high (about 1,000).

Right now the guests are down to a low level, maybe the system has recently been rebooted, or some protective software that has been installed is working. That would be nice

Possibly the malicious code was placed in the forum software itself and the role of the guests is to trigger the malicious code which attacks the target.

I don't claim there is a strong argument, but given the profound insignificance of this site, it seems to me if this site is involved in a DDoS scenario, it is more likely to be one of the zombie attackers than the target.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1227 on: September 28, 2019, 01:59:38 PM »
I have not met serious problems during the last three days, whatever the reason.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1228 on: September 28, 2019, 03:01:14 PM »
And yet, 932 ‘guests’ are attending the party... :P

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #1229 on: September 28, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »
... but it is incredibly fast, with just a few of small failures. We all are enjoying the music feast!

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #1230 on: September 29, 2019, 05:36:34 AM »
2500 guests !, and some lagging is noticeable.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #1231 on: September 29, 2019, 07:49:08 AM »
I have not met serious problems during the last three days, whatever the reason.

Indeed,same here,happily to say.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1232 on: September 29, 2019, 08:07:59 AM »

Good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1233 on: September 29, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »
I just had one "server busy" hiccough while trying to post, but I was able to post seconds later.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #1234 on: October 02, 2019, 01:48:53 AM »
I'm consistently getting very fast response, but I'm on Australia time. Can I assume the slow forum problem is not an issue anymore?
 Macs are better. They just are.

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #1235 on: October 02, 2019, 01:53:48 AM »
I'm consistently getting very fast response, but I'm on Australia time. Can I assume the slow forum problem is not an issue anymore?

It is not no. The problem seems to be solved. Thanks Rob for all your efforts

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1236 on: October 02, 2019, 01:57:00 AM »
It is not no. The problem seems to be solved. Thanks Rob for all your efforts

+1  :)
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #1237 on: October 02, 2019, 05:57:19 AM »
Everything is running smoothly here in Europe (or in Spain at least) at all times. Many thanks for your efforts, Rob. They’re greatly appreciated!  :) :)
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„ Kein’ Musik ist ja nicht auf Erden, die unsrer verglichen kann werden“.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1238 on: October 02, 2019, 06:20:14 AM »
Works fine, I haven’t had access trouble for about a week, now. Thanks for the sterling work, Rob!

Ken B

« Reply #1239 on: October 02, 2019, 06:44:08 AM »
I have had a few glitches the past few days but nothing like what it was before.