Adolf Busch (1891-1952) - more than just a great violinist

Started by Scion7, June 16, 2017, 10:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Busch - who left Germany for Switzerland when the Nazis came to power due to his utter disgust with the regime - is mostly known as a performer and with the Busch Quartett as a group leader.  However, he was a prolific composer.  I swiped the following list in the aim of spreading the "good news," as it were.  There is a two-volume biography of the man published in 2010 by Toccata Press.
There are some decent radio recordings of a few of his works that aren't out on vinyl or CD on YouTube.
Another great artist who lived and was recorded before hi-fi - damn it all.

https://s22.postimg.org/z236q0sjl/A.Busch_Complete_Works.jpg

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Toccata and CPO have recent releases of some of his pieces:

[asin]B012901728[/asin]

[asin]B00YCAU5WM[/asin]

[asin]B00F0W9BRQ[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Scion7

the string sextet, paired with a Braunfels quintet:

[asin]B003FN5ZB8[/asin]