Uuno Klami (1900-1961)

Started by vandermolen, November 14, 2009, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I wanted to add something to the Klami thread and then noticed that there wasn't one - so here goes.

Klami was from Finland and like most Finnish composers of his generation lived rather in the shadow of Sibelius (in fact he only outlived Sibelius by four years although he was much younger). He studied in Paris and, for me, one of the attractions of Klami's music is the echoes of Ravel as well as Sibelius. Klami, it has been suggested, bought neoclassicism to Finnish music. If you want to sample his music I'd suggest the CD below.  This is a (less expensive) reissue of a full price Chandos disc and the performances by Petri Sakari and the Iceland SO are excellent, as is the Chandos recording.

I especially like Klami's Kalevala Suite which opens in a very brooding, darkly atmospheric way. I heard it used as effective background music to a documentary film on the Finnish architect Alvar Aalto. Also, the Sea Pictures are very enjoyable. The last movement 'Force 3' is clearly influenced by Ravel's 'Bolero' but, for me, that is part of its appeal; it is an inspiriting conclusion. I think that Klami's music would also appeal to those who like the music of his compatriot Madetoja, as well as to admirers of Sibelius and Ravel.

An interesting composer; any other admirers out there?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Yes, what I have of him is not much, but what's there is, is highly original, and made quite a impression on me when bought. Later I will dive into my collection and tell you what I have, but from my listening notes some 11 years ago I seem to have been eager to get more of his works. First I go to church....

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on November 14, 2009, 11:19:37 PM
Yes, what I have of him is not much, but what's there is, is highly original, and made quite a impression on me when bought. Later I will dive into my collection and tell you what I have, but from my listening notes some 11 years ago I seem to have been eager to get more of his works. First I go to church....

Thanks Harry.  That was a quick reply  :) Usually I have to wait for days until someone takes pity on me  ;D

I have quite a bit of Klami in my collection but the CD I posted above is my favourite as it contains both the fine Kalevala Suite and the Sea Pictures. I have his two symphonies in my collection, on the BIS label but, as yet, they have not made such an impression on me. However, I will try to listen to them later today and post about them. I hope that the church service was good.

Here is an even cheaper way into Klami's music - also very good performances:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 14, 2009, 11:13:15 PM
I wanted to add something to the Klami thread and then noticed that there wasn't one - so here goes.

Klami was from Finland and like most Finnish composers of his generation lived rather in the shadow of Sibelius (in fact he only outlived Sibelius by four years although he was much younger). He studied in Paris and, for me, one of the attractions of Klami's music is the echoes of Ravel as well as Sibelius. Klami, it has been suggested, bought neoclassicism to Finnish music. If you want to sample his music I'd suggest the CD below.  This is a (less expensive) reissue of a full price Chandos disc and the performances by Petri Sakari and the Iceland SO are excellent, as is the Chandos recording.

I especially like Klami's Kalevala Suite which opens in a very brooding, darkly atmospheric way. I heard it used as effective background music to a documentary film on the Finnish architect Alvar Aalto. Also, the Sea Pictures are very enjoyable. The last movement 'Force 3' is clearly influenced by Ravel's 'Bolero' but, for me, that is part of its appeal; it is an inspiriting conclusion. I think that Klami's music would also appeal to those who like the music of his compatriot Madetoja, as well as to admirers of Sibelius and Ravel.

surprised there were so few responses. I have several recordings of Klami's works.  He wrote two symphonies, I believe.  I love the "Kalevala," and particularly like "Psalmus," and the "Symphonie Enfantine."  Many Cd's available on this significant Finnish composer whose works are significantly influenced by Sibelius, and particularly by Stravinsky.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 14, 2009, 11:13:15 PM

Anyone familiar with this recording?
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Feb10/Klami_ODE11432.htm

vandermolen

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 11, 2010, 11:53:08 PM
Ordered it yesterday, so will post in due course - looks v good.

I received email from amazon and was informed the CD was shipped.  I kn ow most of Klami's recorded orchestral works.  Hope the "Northern Lights" meets the standards received in the Mulligen review.  This particular work is unfamiliar to me.

vandermolen

Quote from: schweitzeralan on February 12, 2010, 06:09:07 PM
I received email from amazon and was informed the CD was shipped.  I kn ow most of Klami's recorded orchestral works.  Hope the "Northern Lights" meets the standards received in the Mulligen review.  This particular work is unfamiliar to me.

Me too.

pjme

I wish a good, new recording of pianoconcerto nr 1 "Une nuit à Montmartre" was available! (I have a very old tape recording). It is a brillant & fun piece that will appeal to all lovers of "Les six" and (early) Stravinsky.
pianoconcerto nr 2 ( piano & strings) is very different and is a very direct hommage to Chostakovitch. Totaly crazy and wild cadenza in the first movement ( available on Finlandia). !!
Psalmus is a great and serious work .

P.

vandermolen

I have greatly enjoyed 'Northern Lights' on the new Ondine CD - Klami at his best.  In fact I have been playing it over and over again and have not yet got on to the other works on the CD. I think that the darkly atmospheric Northern Lights can easily stand up with Klami's Kalevala Suite and Sea Pictures as amongst his finest and most memorable works.

Added later:  The Cheremissian Fantasy, for Cello and Orchestra, is also most enjoyable. With the inclusion of Klami's best known work - the Kalevala Suite too, this is now my favourite Klami CD (although you need to hear the Sea Pictures too).

SymphonicAddict

My first listen to 'Kalevala Suite'

Utterly fantastic! My goodness, it was really atmospheric, magical, I love it because of its epic sound too! I heard his two symphonies but this composition I liked most.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 14, 2017, 01:47:48 PM
My first listen to 'Kalevala Suite'

Utterly fantastic! My goodness, it was really atmospheric, magical, I love it because of its epic sound too! I heard his two symphonies but this composition I liked most.

Yes, I prefer it to the symphonies too. You should like the 'Sea Pictures' as well. Glad you liked the 'Kalevala Suite'.
:)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2017, 02:24:47 PM
Yes, I prefer it to the symphonies too. You should like the 'Sea Pictures' as well. Glad you liked the 'Kalevala Suite'.

It's a deal! I'm gonna hear it. I have a hunch that I will like it a lot too  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 17, 2017, 01:46:26 PM

It's a deal! I'm gonna hear it. I have a hunch that I will like it a lot too  ;D
Well, we seem to have similar tastes. The last movement shows the influence of Ravel's 'Bolero'.