Author Topic: sir Malcolm Arnold  (Read 68600 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Sergei Prokofiev (1891 - 1953)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
Re: sir Malcolm Arnold
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2020, 09:58:47 PM »
Not a fan of Palmer’s films, but for those that want to see it, his Arnold documentary has been uploaded via YouTube in its entirety:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uZsuYbn8DaE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uZsuYbn8DaE</a>
"My chief virtue (or if you like, defect) has been a tireless lifelong search for an original, individual musical idiom. I detest imitation, I detest hackneyed devices.” - Sergei Prokofiev

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #481 on: December 30, 2020, 08:41:59 AM »
I’ve been seriously enjoying Arnold’s overtures as of late --- both the Arnold conducted recording on Reference Recordings and Gamba’s recording on Chandos. These are such fun works and sometimes it’s great to ‘let your hair down’ so to speak, which Walton’s Portsmouth Point Overture also has done for me when I listened to it several nights ago. What I like about Arnold and Walton especially is their ability to not take everything so seriously and I find that whole English ‘stiff upper lip’ attitude doesn’t apply to these composers, but I think it speaks of their particular generation. The lip started loosening with Elgar, Delius, Holst and then Vaughan Williams and the generations after these composers.
"My chief virtue (or if you like, defect) has been a tireless lifelong search for an original, individual musical idiom. I detest imitation, I detest hackneyed devices.” - Sergei Prokofiev

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #482 on: January 01, 2021, 04:03:28 AM »
Let's hope this centenary year brings Arnold to a bit more prominence, certainly for his serious works.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #483 on: January 01, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »
Let's hope this centenary year brings Arnold to a bit more prominence, certainly for his serious works.

I certainly hope so, but I doubt it. I think if anything what we’ll see is a rehashing of performances that any Arnold fan already owns. Let’s hope that Chandos and Naxos has something up their sleeves.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #484 on: January 02, 2021, 12:16:13 AM »
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).