Author Topic: Richard Strauss's house  (Read 94499 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Richard Strauss's house
« Reply #680 on: April 01, 2020, 10:54:29 AM »
Cool, thanks, everyone. I have been looking at that Kempe/Dresden box and it probably is the way to go. But I'll check out some of the other recordings suggested too. I have heard and really loved the Solti Elektra and should probably get it on CD so I can listen while reading along with the libretto. I've been looking at the Karajan Rosenkavalier too.

Another "modern" alternative set

Looking at Amazon MP, the used route is the one to go for price reasons.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #681 on: May 25, 2020, 07:14:10 AM »
The truth is so many of the classic Strauss recordings are now available in box sets where in effect you get all the major works for the equivalent price you paid for a single LP back in the day.  So

represent tremendous value without any artistic compromise (but sometimes with not much in terms of liner notes).  Of the older recordings I think anything with Szell in Cleveland on CBS/Sony is pretty stunning................

Opera-wise again many of the great recordings can now be bought for the equivalent of pence..................

Hi All!  Just starting in on my R. Strauss collection, about a dozen discs, split evenly between the first 5 shown below and the others being recordings of chamber, horn, and wind pieces.  As quoted above (a recent post in this thread), a number of 'boxes' have appeared - I added another one w/ Mehta - one of these collections could easily replace a number of the ones below, so will greatly appreciate any comments?

Also, wondering if there are other 'instrumental works' that might pique my interest (sorry, but not interested in lieder, whole operas, or choral works - I know many of these are masterpieces, but would not listen to them vs. what I already own) - looking over his list of compositions, Franz Trenner created a new chronological catalogue in 1985, revised by his son in 1999; this catalogue lists 298 works and its numbers are shown in the column "TrV" below - WOW!  I see a lot of piano music and other chamber/orchestral works - any recommendations in these genres?  Thanks!  Dave :)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:26:46 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #682 on: May 25, 2020, 07:33:28 AM »
Just to be complete and avoid duplicate recommendations, below are the other half dozen R. Strauss recordings owned. - Dave :)

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #683 on: May 25, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »
Just to be complete and avoid duplicate recommendations, below are the other half dozen R. Strauss recordings owned. - Dave :)

So much good music and great recordings there.  I know you say vocal music is off limits but you must have a 4 Last Songs somewhere!  The Netherlands Wind Ensemble version of the wind serenades etc were always well regarded but I find the too smoothed over and neat.  Immaculately played but too sanitised for me - I'd go for another version of those.  None of the chamber music is amazing - perfectly nice but not revolutionary in the way much of his other music was......  You've got most of the main bases covered here - is there a good oboe concerto in that lot?

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #684 on: May 25, 2020, 10:31:59 AM »
It is probably Holliger on the Philips twofer?
My other favorite concertante piece is the "Burleske" for Piano, Timpani and orchestra, a rather early piece with echoes of Brahms d minor concerto. My favorite chamber work I am not seeing on your discs is the violin sonata (many recordings with famous fiddlers). If you like neoclassical/neobaroque there is also Le bourgeois gentilhomme suite.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #685 on: May 25, 2020, 12:24:41 PM »
So much good music and great recordings there.  I know you say vocal music is off limits but you must have a 4 Last Songs somewhere!  The Netherlands Wind Ensemble version of the wind serenades etc were always well regarded but I find the too smoothed over and neat.  Immaculately played but too sanitised for me - I'd go for another version of those.  None of the chamber music is amazing - perfectly nice but not revolutionary in the way much of his other music was......  You've got most of the main bases covered here - is there a good oboe concerto in that lot?

It is probably Holliger on the Philips twofer?
My other favorite concertante piece is the "Burleske" for Piano, Timpani and orchestra, a rather early piece with echoes of Brahms d minor concerto. My favorite chamber work I am not seeing on your discs is the violin sonata (many recordings with famous fiddlers). If you like neoclassical/neobaroque there is also Le bourgeois gentilhomme suite.

Thanks Guys for the comments - correct on the Oboe Concerto, i.e. Holliger in the double-Philips wind music set.  I spent a half hour or so on Amazon today looking at those 'boxes' shown before and already own much of that music, and there just isn't much of the early or chamber compositions available.  I know that the last 4 songs are famous and I had several versions years back but culled the discs out due to my neglect; I do have a LOT of medieval/renaissance secular & religious vocal music, but when the 19th century comes around and the words are in German, my interest fades, sorry Schubert, Schumann, Wolf, et al - just me.  Dave :)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #686 on: May 26, 2020, 04:51:58 AM »
Hi, Dave. You already have some really good Strauss records there, Alpine Symphony with Blomstedt/SF is flawless; and the Rosenkavalier/Salome/Capriccio disc with Jarvi/Scottish, and the Nash Ensemble's Meta/Piano Quartet/Capriccio both offer a great variety of his compositions.

If you find yourself a fan of the Wind Sonatinas, and the Oboe Concerto, you should definitely give his Duet concertino for clarinet and bassoon a listen. It's pure magic. Here's my recommendation that I truly love...

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #687 on: May 26, 2020, 07:12:19 AM »
Hi, Dave. You already have some really good Strauss records there, Alpine Symphony with Blomstedt/SF is flawless; and the Rosenkavalier/Salome/Capriccio disc with Jarvi/Scottish, and the Nash Ensemble's Meta/Piano Quartet/Capriccio both offer a great variety of his compositions.

If you find yourself a fan of the Wind Sonatinas, and the Oboe Concerto, you should definitely give his Duet concertino for clarinet and bassoon a listen. It's pure magic. Here's my recommendation that I truly love...

Thanks Greg - only work that I already own is the Cappriccio Suite which starts w/ the Sextet - others not in my collection - read several excellent reviews - in a short search, have found only MP3 DLs (Amazon USA and PrestoMusic) but have not checked other sites.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Pentatone website states the physical CD is no longer available and not listed on BRO; the cheapest MP3 DL is on Presto for $7 - however, I'm currently streaming on Spotify to my Apple TV and den speakers -  8)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:22:38 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #688 on: May 26, 2020, 11:46:19 AM »
Thanks Greg - only work that I already own is the Cappriccio Suite which starts w/ the Sextet - others not in my collection - read several excellent reviews - in a short search, have found only MP3 DLs (Amazon USA and PrestoMusic) but have not checked other sites.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Pentatone website states the physical CD is no longer available and not listed on BRO; the cheapest MP3 DL is on Presto for $7 - however, I'm currently streaming on Spotify to my Apple TV and den speakers -  8)

If you like Strauss in heroic mode then you must check out the Festmusik der Stadt Wien

Not necessarily the greatest performances technically but they have real character