Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2007, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Just ordered the Alto complete symphony set. Looking forward to it.

Irons

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 20, 2020, 07:26:34 AM
Just ordered the Alto complete symphony set. Looking forward to it.

Enjoy!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

As mentioned in the Purchases thread, my box set arrived today, and I've started the lengthy task of diving into these 27 symphonies. I begun with No. 19, being one of the shorter works, and also its scoring for wind band intrigued me. Followed that with the two symphonies listed as being in B minor, No. 7 and No. 22. No. 7 opens with a real fascinating sense of mystery. It seems more like F major than B minor.

Update: I loved No. 22! Not what I expected from a "war symphony", especially one where the second movement was subtitled "Listening to the horrors of war". Still, quite intense and that finale is spectacular!

I've started the evening with the two shortest symphonies. No. 10 is a rollercoaster ride, the shortest symphony but scored for the largest orchestra. Currently on No. 21. I'm planning to listen to the longest symphony, No. 6, later.

Symphonic Addict

Thumbs up for the 22 Symphony-Ballad, one of my favorites.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 24, 2020, 05:42:50 AM
As mentioned in the Purchases thread, my box set arrived today, and I've started the lengthy task of diving into these 27 symphonies. I begun with No. 19, being one of the shorter works, and also its scoring for wind band intrigued me. Followed that with the two symphonies listed as being in B minor, No. 7 and No. 22. No. 7 opens with a real fascinating sense of mystery. It seems more like F major than B minor.

Update: I loved No. 22! Not what I expected from a "war symphony", especially one where the second movement was subtitled "Listening to the horrors of war". Still, quite intense and that finale is spectacular!

I've started the evening with the two shortest symphonies. No. 10 is a rollercoaster ride, the shortest symphony but scored for the largest orchestra. Currently on No. 21. I'm planning to listen to the longest symphony, No. 6, later.
Very interesting feedback. I totally agree with you that No.22 is not a typical 'war symphony' at all. I hope that you enjoy the epic No.6. Unfortunately Svetlanov's recording does not include the optional choir at the end which, IMO, does make a significant difference.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Personally I didn't find the finale lacking, even without the choir. It's a lot to digest in one listen. The ending did bring to mind one of my favourite symphonic conclusions, that of Elgar's 2nd Symphony. Peaceful, contented, E flat major. Also can add this to the pile of works that incorporate the Dies Irae chant.

I struggle to put thoughts into words, especially when it comes to music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 24, 2020, 11:18:45 AM
Personally I didn't find the finale lacking, even without the choir. It's a lot to digest in one listen. The ending did bring to mind one of my favourite symphonic conclusions, that of Elgar's 2nd Symphony. Peaceful, contented, E flat major. Also can add this to the pile of works that incorporate the Dies Irae chant.

I struggle to put thoughts into words, especially when it comes to music.
I agree that it's still a fine version and I find it interesting to hear it without the choir. Svetlanov's version, as far as I know, is the only recording not to include it.

Irons

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 24, 2020, 05:42:50 AM

The first time I heard the opening of the finale I was practically propelled from my listening position! Svetlanov comes into his own and I don't think anyone could do it better.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

J

Quote from: Irons on April 25, 2020, 12:08:47 AM
The first time I heard the opening of the finale I was practically propelled from my listening position! Svetlanov comes into his own and I don't think anyone could do it better.

I remember the Northern Flowers recording of Symphony No.22 as clearly superior to Svetlanov, and far better played, - though I can't elaborate more on that impression from this distance.   Have you heard it?

For a recently posted concert performance (2009) of the Cello Concerto see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbNpliOsA2E

It's idionsyncratic (very slow and somewhat distended to my ears), and the video is rather amateurishly edited, - but interesting to hear and watch nonetheless.
The 2nd movement especially sounds at times almost like a work I've not heard before, and very peculiar.

Maestro267

Listening to Symphony No. 20 in E major, and it's another instance where I feel like the composer credited the symphony with the wrong key. No. 7 "in B minor" to me has hardly any B minor in it at all, and it certainly never establishes that key as home. And in No. 20, I'm hearing E minor a lot more than the E major it's listed as being in.

To be clear, I still really enjoyed both works.

vandermolen

Must listen to the Northern Flowers version of No.22 which I have somewhere in my collection.

Irons

Quote from: J on April 25, 2020, 06:40:03 PM
I remember the Northern Flowers recording of Symphony No.22 as clearly superior to Svetlanov, and far better played, - though I can't elaborate more on that impression from this distance.   Have you heard it?

It's idionsyncratic (very slow and somewhat distended to my ears), - also idiosyncratically and rather amateurishly filmed, - but interesting to hear and watch nonetheless.
The 2nd movement especially sounds at times almost like a work I've not heard before, and very peculiar.

Thanks for posting YT link, I enjoyed the passion of it all. Sad to see that it has been viewed by a paltry 48 in a year without a single comment. 

J

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2020, 11:52:16 PM
Must listen to the Northern Flowers version of No.22 which I have somewhere in my collection.

You introduced me to the recording (probably) over a decade ago, Jeffrey.

Dig deep and you'll find it, hehe.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on April 26, 2020, 07:54:35 AM
You introduced me to the recording (probably) over a decade ago, Jeffrey.

Dig deep and you'll find it, hehe.

I've found it Greg! It was with the Northern Flowers CD of symphonies 24 and 25 - so you see there is some attempt at organisation in my collection  ;D
Will be listening to it later.
You introduced me to so much stuff yourself. Complete NYM string quartets for starters  :)
All good wishes to you

J

OT, I must send you the Moeran study we've corresponded about, - never entirely forgotten, but distractions have intervened.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on April 26, 2020, 11:27:24 AM
OT, I must send you the Moeran study we've corresponded about, - never entirely forgotten, but distractions have intervened.
OT
Many thanks Greg but in your own time.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on April 25, 2020, 06:40:03 PM

It's idionsyncratic (very slow and somewhat distended to my ears), - also idiosyncratically and rather amateurishly filmed, - but interesting to hear and watch nonetheless.
I agree with you Greg about the Northern Flowers recording of Symphony No.22 conducted by Alexander Titov. From the start it comes across as a more intense, lyrical and deeply felt performance than Svetlanov's recording, good as that one is.
PS the ending of the symphony is incomparably more moving IMO that the Svetlanov, especially due to the spacious and more lyrical treatment of the final minutes - I was moved, as never before by this symphony. There is an underlying sense of sadness and tragedy that I had not fully appreciated before. Thank you for alerting me to how good this performance is.

Maestro267

Listened to Nos. 16 & 17 so far today. After this, I have 12 remaining, including the two I'd already heard prior to getting this box. Plenty of these symphonies have properly weighty and profound slow movements. These two are no exception. And the conclusion of No. 16 is a real hammerblow!

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 27, 2020, 04:20:02 AM
Listened to Nos. 16 & 17 so far today. After this, I have 12 remaining, including the two I'd already heard prior to getting this box. Plenty of these symphonies have properly weighty and profound slow movements. These two are no exception. And the conclusion of No. 16 is a real hammerblow!

No.17 is one of the best I think and 16 has a wonderfully lugubrious slow movement.