Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2007, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 03, 2019, 11:54:18 AM
Something that I noticed, and idk if it's in line with the actual no. of movements in the symphony, but Nos. 2 & 3, in the Svetlanov recordings, are both cast in two movements. In No. 2, they are 20 and 25 minutes respectively, and in No. 3, 13 and 33 minutes. Making the "finale" (?) of No. 3 one of the longer movements in the symphonic repertoire.
No. 3 is in two movements of 20 and 25 minutes each. No. 2 is in three movements (Allegro, Molto sostenuto, Allegro con fuoco) with the middle movement being the longest; the movement break is pretty obvious when you listen to the recording. In any case the Symphony-Ballade (No. 22) is even longer, and a single unbroken movement, at about 36 minutes.

I honestly don't have a problem with listening to the Myaskovsky symphonies in order although my favourites tend to be in the first half of his output (3, 5, 10, 11, 13)

vandermolen

Quote from: amw on August 13, 2019, 01:09:49 AM
No. 3 is in two movements of 20 and 25 minutes each. No. 2 is in three movements (Allegro, Molto sostenuto, Allegro con fuoco) with the middle movement being the longest; the movement break is pretty obvious when you listen to the recording. In any case the Symphony-Ballade (No. 22) is even longer, and a single unbroken movement, at about 36 minutes.

I honestly don't have a problem with listening to the Myaskovsky symphonies in order although my favourites tend to be in the first half of his output (3, 5, 10, 11, 13)

Although I only included 3 (which I rate very highly) in my list above I also like 5 and 11 and am just getting to appreciate the more modernist (IMO) 13 which is included on the new Naxos release.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

amw

Quote from: vandermolen on August 13, 2019, 01:17:11 AM
Although I only included 3 (which I rate very highly) in my list above I also like 5 and 11 and am just getting to appreciate the more modernist (IMO) 13 which is included on the new Naxos release.
No. 3 is a symphony in the mold of Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy, although in my view Myaskovsky's craftsmanship exceeds Scriabin's even if his ideas may be less brilliant. The final funeral march is my favourite passage among his symphonies I think.

Nos. 5 and 11 are very "Russian school" a la the Mighty Kuchka, in an updated, more modern style, and both have beautiful slow movements. To be honest the slow movements are pretty consistently the best parts of Myaskovsky's symphonies, from No.1 to No.27 (the latter with Myaskovsky's favourite elevato marking). 10 and 13 are his other major attempts at the Scriabinesque style and probably his most individual works.

I will admit to also really enjoying the symphony for wind band (No. 19) and probably a few of the other later ones that aren't coming to mind right away, but they are certainly much more "neoclassical".

vandermolen

Quote from: amw on August 13, 2019, 01:38:20 AM
No. 3 is a symphony in the mold of Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy, although in my view Myaskovsky's craftsmanship exceeds Scriabin's even if his ideas may be less brilliant. The final funeral march is my favourite passage among his symphonies I think.

Nos. 5 and 11 are very "Russian school" a la the Mighty Kuchka, in an updated, more modern style, and both have beautiful slow movements. To be honest the slow movements are pretty consistently the best parts of Myaskovsky's symphonies, from No.1 to No.27 (the latter with Myaskovsky's favourite elevato marking). 10 and 13 are his other major attempts at the Scriabinesque style and probably his most individual works.

I will admit to also really enjoying the symphony for wind band (No. 19) and probably a few of the other later ones that aren't coming to mind right away, but they are certainly much more "neoclassical".

Yes, that last movement of Symphony No.3 is quite something, ending in the deepest gloom, something which always appeals to me. It's sometimes compared to the symphony by Cesar Frank.  I really like the version for string orchestra ('Two Pieces for Strings' I think) of the middle movements of Symphony 19. Do you know that version? I'm really getting to appreciate Symphony 13 at the moment although I haven't (yet) bought the new Naxos CD.

Here's the Two Pieces for Strings. I wish I'd bought that fine old EMI/Melodiya LP when it first came out:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E68o0xf0evA
I find the opening piece very moving and entirely characteristic of the composer.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I was very pleased to find this online: 'Kremlin by Night' (1947). Much as I love the music of this composer, apart from the choral end of Symphony No.6, I don't think that I have heard any of his choral music, which seems largely unknown. I can't find any CD or LP featuring it. It's quite a concise work (20 mins) but I found it enchanting, sections of it reminded me of Vaughan Williams and Rachmaninov's 'The Bells' as well as Boris Godonov:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5MMQpLaKJs

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 15, 2019, 02:31:56 AM
I was very pleased to find this online: 'Kremlin by Night' (1947). Much as I love the music of this composer, apart from the choral end of Symphony No.6, I don't think that I have heard any of his choral music, which seems largely unknown. I can't find any CD or LP featuring it. It's quite a concise work (20 mins) but I found it enchanting, sections of it reminded me of Vaughan Williams and Rachmaninov's 'The Bells' as well as Boris Godonov:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5MMQpLaKJs

This rarity has drawn my attention. I'm gonna check it later. Thanks for sharing it, Jeffrey! The sound quality is decent, fortunately! Checking the comments on the video, there is another rare piece by him: Kirov is with us.

http://www.youtube.com/v/cQSyQgvgYfM

vandermolen

New release of Complete Symphonies:
:)

Roy Bland

IMHO Symphony n 27 is a masterwork .Its triumphal ending isn't forced as DSCH but is the answer of composer towards illness and
death .I love Fifth of Shebalin for the same reason.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on September 01, 2019, 12:14:10 PM
IMHO Symphony n 27 is a masterwork .Its triumphal ending isn't forced as DSCH but is the answer of composer towards illness and
death .I love Fifth of Shebalin for the same reason.
I'm totally with you on both counts here. The slow movement of Symphony 27th is one of the most moving I know and I see the finale as a joyous celebration of life; as if Miaskovsky, after the winter, is welcoming the return of spring in full knowledge that he would not be there to see it. Shebalin's 5th Symphony has a sad eloquence which I also find very moving.

Maestro267

Bought the recent Naxos recording of Symphonies Nos. 1 & 13. Listening to No. 13 right now.

I just realized now that Marco Polo released a decent number of Myaskovsky symphony recordings back in the day. I'm curious whether this Naxos cycle (assuming it is to be a cycle and this isn't just a one-off release) will give us new recordings of all 27 symphonies or whether they'll just reissue/remaster the Marco Polo recordings, filling the gaps with new recordings.

BasilValentine

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 04, 2019, 03:00:18 AM
Bought the recent Naxos recording of Symphonies Nos. 1 & 13. Listening to No. 13 right now.

I just realized now that Marco Polo released a decent number of Myaskovsky symphony recordings back in the day. I'm curious whether this Naxos cycle (assuming it is to be a cycle and this isn't just a one-off release) will give us new recordings of all 27 symphonies or whether they'll just reissue/remaster the Marco Polo recordings, filling the gaps with new recordings.

The recording on Marco Polo of Symphonies 5 & 9 (BBC Phil, Edward Downes) is a must. The 9th in particular is a much better interpretation than Svetlanov's plodding, uninspired effort. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 04, 2019, 03:00:18 AM

I don't think that any of those Marco Polo releases have been transferred to Naxos. The releases of symphonies 1, 13, 24 and 25 are new recordings. I hope that the fine Ural Youth Orchestra go on to record more of the Miaskovsky symphonies. I'm sorry that Kondrashin only recorded symphonies 6 and 15 as far as I'm aware as those performances are in a class of their own IMO although I also rate Alexander Gauk's recordings of symphonies 17 (dedicated to Gauk I think), 19 and 27 (annoyingly never released on CD - it is the most moving of all).

vandermolen

Quote from: BasilValentine on October 04, 2019, 04:51:29 AM
The recording on Marco Polo of Symphonies 5 & 9 (BBC Phil, Edward Downes) is a must. The 9th in particular is a much better interpretation than Svetlanov's plodding, uninspired effort.
Yes, that's a fine CD.

Maestro267

Quote from: BasilValentine on October 04, 2019, 04:51:29 AM

Ooh, OK! I never expected a glowing recommendation here. Early Marco Polo/Naxos is very hit and miss, by most accounts. I'll keep this in mind.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 04, 2019, 05:11:42 AM
Ooh, OK! I never expected a glowing recommendation here. Early Marco Polo/Naxos is very hit and miss, by most accounts. I'll keep this in mind.

I enjoyed Stankovsky's version of Symphony 6 on Marco Polo - very underrated I think:

Irons

What an impressive symphony the 11th is! The arresting opening which grips immediately with a motif which reminded me of the music of "Jaws" with the great white circling. In three movements, all very Russian, the first two have serious things to say and in the finale Miaskovsky lets his guard down just a bit, as always he keeps his emotions in check but they are there all right!

A birthday on the horizon. The Alto set may give some compensation for being a year older. :(
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 13, 2020, 12:10:48 AM

What an impressive symphony the 11th is! The arresting opening which grips immediately with a motif which reminded me of the music of "Jaws" with the great white circling. In three movements, all very Russian, the first two have serious things to say and in the finale Miaskovsky lets his guard down just a bit, as always he keeps his emotions in check but they are there all right!

A birthday on the horizon. The Alto set may give some compensation for being a year older. :(

Oddly enough I recently bought that LP. It is one that I much regretted not buying when it first appeared. The Two Pieces for String Orchestra (adapted from the middle movements of Symphony No.19) are a marvellous bonus. I agree with your comments.
I'm glad that your getting the boxed set for your birthday Lol. Don't forget to read the notes for symphonies 17, 21 and 23.  8)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on January 13, 2020, 12:10:48 AM

Lol,
If you want to sample it cheaply, you can get the set as downloads for £6.00 here :

https://classicselectworlddigital.com/products/myaskovsky-the-complete-symphonies-russian-federation-symphony-orchestra-evgeny-svetlanov?variant=31095292330045

They sell the boxset at £36.00

https://classicselectworlddigital.com/products/copy-of-myaskovsky-the-complete-symphonies-russian-federation-symphony-orchestra-evgeny-svetlanov?_pos=2&_sid=b430acb8f&_ss=r
Olivier

Irons

Jeffrey: I have not come across Veronika Dudarova before. Has he only conducted the 11th?

Oliver: Stuck in the past I don't partake in downloads. For me CD is the new technology. :) That is an amazing price for a new set. Second-hand on eBay is more expensive. Thanks. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on January 14, 2020, 07:53:06 AM
Oliver: Stuck in the past I don't partake in downloads. For me CD is the new technology. :) That is an amazing price for a new set. Second-hand on eBay is more expensive. Thanks.

Fair enough. I used downloads some years back on e-music as a cheap discovery tool but always been keener on CD myself, although at that price, Myaskovsky, who i don't know the music of at all, is a cheap temptation. Which symphonies should I sample first to have a good idea of his sound ?

FYI, the set is only slightly dearer on AMZ UK at £39 - £40 New.
Olivier