Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2007, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 10, 2020, 03:10:46 AM
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,17734.0.html

Thanks and point taken but the Shchedrin Symphony No.1 was coupled with Miaskovsky's 23rd Symphony on that fine old EMI/Melodiya LP.
The Anosov version is available as a download.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2020, 07:47:54 AM
Thanks and point taken but the Shchedrin Symphony No.1 was coupled with Miaskovsky's 23rd Symphony on that fine old EMI/Melodiya LP.
The Anosov version is available as a download.

I think Shchedrin (I came from generation where dyslexia didn't exist but I think I may be afflicted - I find it extremely difficult to type his name even when copying!) and Miaskovsky make excellent bedfellows.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Christo

Quote from: Irons on April 11, 2020, 06:40:29 AM
I think Shchedrin (I came from generation where dyslexia didn't exist but I think I may be afflicted - I find it extremely difficult to type his name even when copying!) and Miaskovsky make excellent bedfellows.
And I came from a generation - back in the Summer of 1997, Lithuania, Trakai festival, where his Carmen Suite was being performed - who actually met the man. Though hardly noticed it, those were the days where East & West met everywhere, anytime. Only now I recall this particular meeting again.  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 11, 2020, 06:40:29 AM
I've only now learnt to spell his name having enjoyed his First Symphony for about forty years  ::).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Came across an article "Myaskovsky on Record" written by Gregor Tassie for the Summer 2012 edition of Classical Recordings Quarterly. All interesting but some snippets particularly so. The first recording was by Prokofiev in 1924 of Whimsies. The first recording of a symphony was that of No.23 by Nathan Rachlin in 1941. During the second world war Miaskovsky was able to hear recordings from America and Europe. Among those he listened to was Elgar's 2nd Symphony, Ireland's PC and Rachmaninov's 3rd Symphony. Richter recorded the 3rd Sonata several times but none of the others although both him and his wife were close friends of the composer.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 12, 2020, 02:10:21 AM
Came across an article "Myaskovsky on Record" written by Gregor Tassie for the Summer 2012 edition of Classical Recordings Quarterly. All interesting but some snippets particularly so. The first recording was by Prokofiev in 1924 of Whimsies. The first recording of a symphony was that of No.23 by Nathan Rachlin in 1941. During the second world war Miaskovsky was able to hear recordings from America and Europe. Among those he listened to was Elgar's 2nd Symphony, Ireland's PC and Rachmaninov's 3rd Symphony. Richter recorded the 3rd Sonata several times but none of the others although both him and his wife were close friends of the composer.
I have that interesting article too Lol. I think that the next issue corrected some print errors in the article and some of the symphonies listed were errors. I'll check later.

PS I found it now:
It was the Symphony 21 and not 23 that was the first ever made by Nathan Rachlin. It was also No.21 and not 24 that was commissioned by the Chicago SO. This can be found on page 8 of the Autumn 2012 issue of the magazine.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 12, 2020, 02:14:13 AM
I have that interesting article too Lol. I think that the next issue corrected some print errors in the article and some of the symphonies listed were errors. I'll check later.

PS I found it now:
It was the Symphony 21 and not 23 that was the first ever made by Nathan Rachlin. It was also No.21 and not 24 that was commissioned by the Chicago SO. This can be found on page 8 of the Autumn 2012 issue of the magazine.

Thanks Jeffrey. Due to editorial errors! I doubt that Gregor Tassie was too pleased with that.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 12, 2020, 11:45:14 PM
Thanks Jeffrey. Due to editorial errors! I doubt that Gregor Tassie was too pleased with that.

No,I expect that he wasn't! He wrote a recent biography of the composer.

relm1

Yesterday, I listened to Symphony No. 13 and 16 and enjoyed them both.  No. 16 seemed to have an unusually fast opening movement and I've come to think of Miaskovsky as a moderato tempo composer.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 13, 2020, 05:42:55 AM
Yesterday, I listened to Symphony No. 13 and 16 and enjoyed them both.  No. 16 seemed to have an unusually fast opening movement and I've come to think of Miaskovsky as a moderato tempo composer.

Both interesting works. No.13 is more modernistic and I like the new Naxos recording with the Ural youth orchestra. The slow movement of No. 16 is very moving.

Irons

Symphony No.19 (For Wind Band).

All change for Miaskovsky, a symphony for wind band and the biggest surprise for me how conventional - in a good way -it is. This music would not be out of place played on Eastbourne's famous bandstand, in fact I'm convinced big band aficionados would absolutely love it. This is not a symphony without strings but a symphony for a band, I think there is a difference. In style I was reminded of band music composed by Holst. One movement stands out from the other three, the slow one (not for the first time) which is as said on the tin Andante serioso, if you could squeeze it nostalgia would flow out in a torrent.

Symphony No.21.

I was initially puzzled by Jeffrey's comment "You could start here" but after getting to know this symphony I fully understand. It did take time, I listened far more then the others and the appreciation was not immediate - this is often the case for single movement symphonies - but as I acclimatised I became gripped by the work, I fell under its spell.

I used Svetlanov as a reference point and listened to David Measham on vinyl. You cannot go wrong with either and preference comes down to interpretation. The cool Sibelian waters of Measham or the Tchaikovsky heart on sleeve of Svetlanov. Or of course you could always have both!

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 16, 2020, 01:58:40 PM
Symphony No.19 (For Wind Band).

All change for Miaskovsky, a symphony for wind band and the biggest surprise for me how conventional - in a good way -it is. This music would not be out of place played on Eastbourne's famous bandstand, in fact I'm convinced big band aficionados would absolutely love it. This is not a symphony without strings but a symphony for a band, I think there is a difference. In style I was reminded of band music composed by Holst. One movement stands out from the other three, the slow one (not for the first time) which is as said on the tin Andante serioso, if you could squeeze it nostalgia would flow out in a torrent.

Symphony No.21.

I was initially puzzled by Jeffrey's comment "You could start here" but after getting to know this symphony I fully understand. It did take time, I listened far more then the others and the appreciation was not immediate - this is often the case for single movement symphonies - but as I acclimatised I became gripped by the work, I fell under its spell.

I used Svetlanov as a reference point and listened to David Measham on vinyl. You cannot go wrong with either and preference comes down to interpretation. The cool Sibelian waters of Measham or the Tchaikovsky heart on sleeve of Svetlanov. Or of course you could always have both!
Once again a very interesting review Lol. The other great performance of Symphony No.21 was from Morton Gould and the Chicago SO, who commissioned the work. It was reissued on CD in a boxed set of Morton Gould recordings on RCA, with its original coupling Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Antar' Symphony with which it shares some thematic similarities. The middle movements of Symphony No.19 were arranged for string orchestra and I especially like first one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DGxpkF1yq-w

Original Morton Gould LP:

There's also a very fine recording of Symphony No.21 conducted by Eugene Ormandy.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2020, 02:23:29 PM
Once again a very interesting review Lol. The other great performance of Symphony No.21 was from Morton Gould and the Chicago SO, who commissioned the work. It was reissued on CD in a boxed set of Morton Gould recordings on RCA, with its original coupling Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Antar' Symphony with which it shares some thematic similarities. The middle movements of Symphony No.19 were arranged for string orchestra and I especially like first one:

There's also a very fine recording of Symphony No.21 conducted by Eugene Ormandy.

I have seen Morton Gould's LP on my travels, Jeffrey. I had no idea Ormandy had recorded Miaskovsky.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 16, 2020, 11:44:37 PM
I have seen Morton Gould's LP on my travels, Jeffrey. I had no idea Ormandy had recorded Miaskovsky.
The Morton Gould is worth having as a supplement to your Svetlanov set Lol. It is a very special, poetic and eloquent performance (I notice that the LP is available for about £4.00 second hand).
Here is the Ormandy recording. The 2CD set was expensive. I tried to,order a copy from Harold Moore's Records in London but they told me that they couldn't send it to me as one of the discs was damaged. I asked which one and it turned out to be the CD which did not feature Miaskovsky's symphony, so they sold it to me quite cheaply! I'll post a review of it as well.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/dec00/ormandy.htm

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2020, 02:23:29 PM

As per normal Jeffrey I am so slow on the uptake - not even 2+2=5! I didn't make the connection between Two Pieces for String Orchestra and Symphony No.19 until you pointed it out although I have both versions and indeed I am aware that Op.46b is a transcription. The richness of the strings in the link has a yearning sadness which I missed in the version for band which to my ears is nostalgic.

Edit: Worth noting I think a difference in timings with with Op. 46 at 7.00 and Op.46b 10.42 (Bolshoi). Miaskovsky slowed the tempo for strings it seems.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 17, 2020, 07:50:19 AM
As per normal Jeffrey I am so slow on the uptake - not even 2+2=5! I didn't make the connection between Two Pieces for String Orchestra and Symphony No.19 until you pointed it out although I have both versions and indeed I am aware that Op.46b is a transcription. The richness of the strings in the link has a yearning sadness which I missed in the version for band which to my ears is nostalgic.

Edit: Worth noting I think a difference in timings with with Op. 46 at 7.00 and Op.46b 10.42 (Bolshoi). Miaskovsky slowed the tempo for strings it seems.

I don't see any reason why you should have made the connection Lol, I certainly didn't until I bought Dudarova's Soviet LP (in that famous Soviet record shop near to Foyle's in Charing X Road, London, which was probably a cover for spying activities) of Symphony 11 and found the two pieces for string orchestra as the fill-up and read that it was a transcription of the middle movements of Symphony 19. I have a very curious Russian CD 'Legendary conductors Alexander Gauk' which includes Gauk's very moving performance of Symphony 17. It also claims to feature Symphony No.18 but it doesn't! It actually features three movements (out of four) of Symphony 19!

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2020, 09:45:30 AM
I don't see any reason why you should have made the connection Lol, I certainly didn't until I bought Dudarova's Soviet LP (in that famous Soviet record shop near to Foyle's in Charing X Road, London, which was probably a cover for spying activities) of Symphony 11 and found the two pieces for string orchestra as the fill-up and read that it was a transcription of the middle movements of Symphony 19. I have a very curious Russian CD 'Legendary conductors Alexander Gauk' which includes Gauk's very moving performance of Symphony 17. It also claims to feature Symphony No.18 but it doesn't! It actually features three movements (out of four) of Symphony 19!

Blimey, that is sloppiness beyond words. I have noted mention on forum previously of the Soviet record shop, fascinating. At around that time I would have been buying imported soul records every Saturday morning from a dusty basement in Soho. For Classical I was a late starter, but have enjoyed a lifetime of recorded music. Many of my Melodiya LPs I have noticed have an imported by Collet's sticker on back cover.

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2020, 09:45:30 AM

Surely Gauk was a great conductor (i have brilliant cofffret) .But there is the trouble of harsh and nousy soviet recording perhaps with a better mastering...

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on April 17, 2020, 07:02:41 PM
Surely Gauk was a great conductor (i have brilliant cofffret) .But there is the trouble of harsh and nousy soviet recording perhaps with a better mastering...
Yes, I agree about Gauk. His NYM Symphony 17 is very great and there is a fine Khachaturian Symphony No.1 but, as you say, the sound remains problematical.

His NYM Symphony 27 is the most moving of all but never released on CD. I was very disappointed that Brilliant did not include it in either of their Gauk boxed sets.