Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2007, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2020, 06:10:45 AM
Very nice, Jeffrey. I'll get around to Myaskovsky's piano music at some point I'm sure. I'll probably end up going with the complete set since I'm 'complete' kind of guy. ;)
Well, this is the set you need then!

😀
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2020, 10:20:42 AM
It's a shame that the Taneyev Quartet on Northern Flowers is the only game in town (to my knowledge) for all the Miaskovsky quartets except the 13th. To my ears, they play with a lack of tonal variety and colors that makes the music sound rather dull and lifeless. The Pacifica Quartet's recording of the 13th quartet on Chandos is proof of a what a great group can do with this music!

True, but, as you mentioned, it's all we have. I think the performances are serviceable, but it's true that there could be more nuance and expressiveness in their performances. But, hey, at least we can listen them!

Irons

Enjoyed this live concert of the (concise) 21st Symphony with Vasiliev conducting the Siberian SO.

https://youtu.be/bHb6JMXJW8o

As an aside, I much prefer the static camera presentation used here. I find the BBC constant movement of camera angles and shots distracting.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on September 29, 2020, 01:06:45 AM
Enjoyed this live concert of the (concise) 21st Symphony with Vasiliev conducting the Siberian SO.

As an aside, I much prefer the static camera presentation used here. I find the BBC constant movement of camera angles and shots distracting.

Thanks for posting this Lol. I listened to it with much pleasure. It is a very eloquent and thoughtful performance of what is perhaps Miaskovsky's greatest symphony, although without quite the same level of urgency as in my favourite recorded performances (oddly by non-Russian forces) from Morton Gould with the Chicago SO (RCA) and David Measham with the New Philharmonia Orchestra (Unicorn). However, it's an equally valid lyrical interpretation.  Svetlanov's recording on Olympia/Alto is also excellent. I'm glad that the audience were appreciative of the fine performance and I totally agree with your point about the static camera angle. Symphony No. 21 is one of only two Miaskovsky symphonies that I have seen live (No.6 is the other one). My brother and much-missed sister-in-law took me to see a performance of it in London, as a birthday treat, many years ago. I remember how excited I was to finally hear a Miaskovsky symphony live in concert!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2020, 04:01:06 AM
Thanks for posting this Lol. I listened to it with much pleasure. It is a very eloquent and thoughtful performance of what is perhaps Miaskovsky's greatest symphony, although without quite the same level of urgency as in my favourite recorded performances (oddly by non-Russian forces) from Morton Gould with the Chicago SO (RCA) and David Measham with the New Philharmonia Orchestra (Unicorn). However, it's an equally valid lyrical interpretation.  Svetlanov's recording on Olympia/Alto is also excellent. I'm glad that the audience were appreciative of the fine performance and I totally agree with your point about the static camera angle. Symphony No. 21 is one of only two Miaskovsky symphonies that I have seen live (No.6 is the other one). My brother and much-missed sister-in-law took me to see a performance of it in London, as a birthday treat, many years ago. I remember how excited I was to finally hear a Miaskovsky symphony live in concert!

The Morton Gould recording is on my wish list, Jeffrey. I plan on giving Measham a spin this evening. I enjoyed the Vasiliev performance so much I played the video twice - it was raining! ;) "Eloquent" is spot on and I quite like that. The Siberian Symphony Orchestra are impressive IMO.

Sorry to read that this particular symphony has a sad connotation for you.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on September 29, 2020, 07:14:24 AM
The Morton Gould recording is on my wish list, Jeffrey. I plan on giving Measham a spin this evening. I enjoyed the Vasiliev performance so much I played the video twice - it was raining! ;) "Eloquent" is spot on and I quite like that. The Siberian Symphony Orchestra are impressive IMO.

Sorry to read that this particular symphony has a sad connotation for you.

Oh, thanks Lol - my sister-in-law was more like the sister that I never had. She died in 2013 and I still miss her a lot.
Yes, that was a lovely reflective performance of the 21st Symphony and I'm not surprised that you listened to it again. Hope you find the Morton Gould LP. Not that long ago it was released finally on CD as part of a Morton Gould boxed set, which I was only aware of through this forum. I'm glad that they reproduced the oriental/psychedelic cover art on the CD. You get a very nice performance of Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Antar' Symphony as well, which shares some thematic material with the Miaskovsky symphony:

Scion7

Quote from: Irons on September 29, 2020, 01:06:45 AM

That oblast is way out there! 
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

I also like the Ural Philharmonic's recording of the 6th Symphony - one of the best I think.

Papy Oli

Has anybody downloaded the Myaskovsky set from this site at all please ?

https://classicselectworlddigital.com/products/myaskovsky-the-complete-symphonies-russian-federation-symphony-orchestra-evgeny-svetlanov

If yes, what is the bit rate of their files please ? Their FAQ only mentions the file type as mp3. Thank you.
Olivier

relm1

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 30, 2020, 12:24:34 AM
Has anybody downloaded the Myaskovsky set from this site at all please ?

https://classicselectworlddigital.com/products/myaskovsky-the-complete-symphonies-russian-federation-symphony-orchestra-evgeny-svetlanov

If yes, what is the bit rate of their files please ? Their FAQ only mentions the file type as mp3. Thank you.

I don't think it's a legitimate outfit.  Not a real company, probably one person selling stuff they downloaded or procure after a sale.  Read through the comments in this thread:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/thoughts-on-classicselect.783711/

Also, how important is bit rate on old Soviet era analog recordings? 

Leo K.

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2019, 11:40:07 AM
New release of Complete Symphonies:
:)

Wow, I just bought the download on Amazon for $7.99 and so glad I did. Listened to Symphonies 13 and 3 so far, I'm loving this!

vandermolen

Quote from: Leo K. on October 07, 2020, 08:35:38 AM
Wow, I just bought the download on Amazon for $7.99 and so glad I did. Listened to Symphonies 13 and 3 so far, I'm loving this!
That's great value I must say. 13 is one of the best 'modernist' ones and the lugubrious No.3 is an early high-point IMO. It was one of the first that I got to know in the days of LP:

JBS

Reposting this, which I originally wrote last night in WAYLT2
Second listen

Myaskovsky String Quartets performed by the Taneyev Quartet.

Second listen to this set, but not in chronological order. At the moment SQs 1-3.

Perhaps the composer was responding to pressure from ideologues and censors, but his quartets are a sort of backwards journey through the genre's history.  The earlier quartets sound 20th century and in line with the era in which they were written; the middle quartets are 19th century Brahms/Schumann/middle period Beethoven, and the final quartets have a Haydnesque atmosphere (but neo-classical would not be a good label).

I do like everything I've heard
I'll only add that in saying 20th century I was thinking mostly of Bartok and Shostakovich, and that I didn't notice any flaws in the performances or sonics.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Only a passing reference to Miaskovsky but Rob Cowen's video-talk on the great Russian conductor Nikolai Golovanov is of interest.

https://youtu.be/J69wVh5epBo

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 11, 2020, 06:20:04 AM
Only a passing reference to Miaskovsky but Rob Cowen's video-talk on the great Russian conductor Nikolai Golovanov is of interest.

https://youtu.be/J69wVh5epBo

Thanks for posting this Lol. Rob Cowan's room rather resembles my own!  ::)
I had no idea that Golovanov had been treated in that appalling way by the soviet authorities for using a Jewish bass in his recording of Boris Godunov. I have some fine recordings by Golovanov of the music of Rachmaninov and Glazunov - what a pity that he did not record Miaskovsky's 6th Symphony following his, by all accounts, overwhelming premiere performance.
Rob Cowan is a bit like a more restrained and less excitable David Hurwitz.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2020, 12:53:18 PM
Thanks for posting this Lol. Rob Cowan's room rather resembles my own!  ::)
I had no idea that Golovanov had been treated in that appalling way by the soviet authorities for using a Jewish bass in his recording of Boris Godunov. I have some fine recordings by Golovanov of the music of Rachmaninov and Glazunov - what a pity that he did not record Miaskovsky's 6th Symphony following his, by all accounts, overwhelming premiere performance.
Rob Cowan is a bit like a more restrained and less excitable David Hurwitz.

I thought the sample Cowan played from Glazunov (6th Symphony?) was lovely, Jeffrey. Never heard 1812 played like that!!

It amuses me comparing Hurwitz and Cowan, if you made up a threesome visit to a pub you would not get a word in edgeways! The one thing they have in common is a boundless enthusiasm for music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 12, 2020, 12:09:26 AM
I thought the sample Cowan played from Glazunov (6th Symphony?) was lovely, Jeffrey. Never heard 1812 played like that!!

It amuses me comparing Hurwitz and Cowan, if you made up a threesome visit to a pub you would not get a word in edgeways! The one thing they have in common is a boundless enthusiasm for music.
Haha - indeed - a nice thought.
I have CDs of Golovanov conducting Rachmaninov's symphonies 2 and 3 which are excellent and also this CD featuring that fine performance of Glazunov's 6th Symphony:

vandermolen

Maestro267

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 29, 2020, 02:15:10 AM
27 or 21?
21 with Prokofiev Symphony 5 is available now.
27 with Prokofiev Symphony 6 is coming in 2021

Sorry if I didn't make this clear.