Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2007, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 02, 2021, 11:27:29 PM
You are of course completely right.  I twitched when I wrote that thinking I was wrong....  I meant Kogan's recording of the Vainberg (as it was spelt on the original LP cover)

cracking disc!

Love that cover !

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on May 03, 2021, 05:40:11 AM
Love that cover !

It was the memory of the cover that made me twitch!  I had a vague image of the font of the "V" for Vainberg and Violin being the same - so it couldn't really be Miaskovsky!

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 03, 2021, 05:56:40 AM
It was the memory of the cover that made me twitch!  I had a vague image of the font of the "V" for Vainberg and Violin being the same - so it couldn't really be Miaskovsky!

In all my vinyl collecting travels I have not come across that LP. If I did I would purchase without hesitation.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Tom 1960

Quote from: Tom 1960 on May 02, 2021, 08:57:03 AM

I recently saw this box set at an area music shop used for $6! To be honest, I am not very familiar with his music. Convince me I was wrong to pass on this.
A quick follow up, I was able to purchase this set today used for $6.97. It took alittle effort to find it since the store has a very large classical music section. It wasn't exactly where I expected to locate it, but with some effort I found it nearby. I thank you guys for encouraging me to buy this collection. With the price tag, I guess I can't go wrong. Now it's off to the music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Tom 1960 on May 04, 2021, 12:36:53 PM
A quick follow up, I was able to purchase this set today used for $6.97. It took alittle effort to find it since the store has a very large classical music section. It wasn't exactly where I expected to locate it, but with some effort I found it nearby. I thank you guys for encouraging me to buy this collection. With the price tag, I guess I can't go wrong. Now it's off to the music.

Did you buy anything else?

Brahmsian

Good news, Tom!  :)

aligreto

Yes, good for you.
I hope that you like it now  ;D

vandermolen

Excellent! Hope you enjoy it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Prior to hearing this box set I had not heard a note of the music of Miaskovsky with the exception of one string quartet. I would sum up my first listen to the Symphonies of Miaskovsky as powerful, dramatic, tension filled and atmospheric music. I would also say that he was a terrific composer and orchestrator and that his writing for the woodwind and brass sections in particular was superb. He certainly knew his way around an orchestra. The music is very well interpreted, conducted and presented throughout by Svetlanov.
I will, invariably, return to this cycle in the future and I will want to compare future assessments of each work with my original thoughts as all of the comments were penned as I listened to each work for the first time.

I would now be very keen to follow up this odyssey with his String Quartet cycle of which I have only heard one.

André

Your reviews have been very informative, Fergus !

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on May 11, 2021, 01:00:17 PM

I would now be very keen to follow up this odyssey with his String Quartet cycle of which I have only heard one.

I can heartily recommend the Taneyev SQ recordings of these.

aligreto

Quote from: André on May 11, 2021, 01:28:51 PM
Your reviews have been very informative, Fergus !

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 11, 2021, 01:37:05 PM
Seconded!

Thank you both very much. I do try not to ramble on but I know that I do not always succeed  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 11, 2021, 01:38:23 PM
I can heartily recommend the Taneyev SQ recordings of these.

Thank you for that.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on May 11, 2021, 01:58:17 PM
Thank you for that.

In fact, the Taneyev SQ might indeed be the only complete cycle of the quartets, as far as I know.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 11, 2021, 02:03:13 PM
In fact, the Taneyev SQ might indeed be the only complete cycle of the quartets, as far as I know.

Cheers, I believe that you may be correct. Good things have been said of that cycle around here so that will do for me.  :)

vandermolen

In the UK the release date of the Petrenko/Oslo PO recording of Symphony No.27 (with Prokofiev's 6th Symphony) has been pushed back from April to 21st May:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 15, 2007, 03:18:44 PM
Just listened to this disc. I have admired Miaskovsky's music for a very long time and have all of the symphonies released so far in my collection(with quite a few duplications). I had not listened to any of them for quite a long time and had forgotten how intensely moving No. 27 actually is. When one takes account of the tragic circumstances of Miaskovsky's last two years-for the reasons you describe-the music makes even more impact. I can never understand the notion that the appreciation of music should in some way be disassociated from the context in which it was written. Here was the most respected teacher in Soviet Russia who had produced a stream of beautiful but essentially conservative works humiliated by the Communist party machine.
Within two years he was dead. To produce such a glowing and triumphal score as the twenty seventh symphony is testimony to his spirit and the power of music!
I was just looking back at the early posts in this thread and liked this one by Colin (Dundonnell) who sadly does not post here any more.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on May 12, 2021, 01:29:43 AM
I was just looking back at the early posts in this thread and liked this one by Colin (Dundonnell) who sadly does not post here any more.

Jeffrey, any word if you believe there is a chance he would return?

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 14, 2021, 07:47:45 AM
Jeffrey, any word if you believe there is a chance he would return?
Sadly, I think it most unlikely. He hasn't posted here for years.