Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2007, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2021, 09:11:54 AM
Sadly, I think it most unlikely. He hasn't posted here for years.

That's unfortunate.  Please, do give him my regards if you are in contact with him.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 14, 2021, 09:43:44 AM
That's unfortunate.  Please, do give him my regards if you are in contact with him.  :)
OT
Will do.
We usually exchange Christmas cards and my wife and I had the pleasure of meeting him in London many years ago.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 28, 2021, 03:42:10 AM
Jeffrey !!!

Advertised in this week's Presto email :

https://www.prestomusic.com/books/products/8794580--nikolay-myaskovsky-a-composer-and-his-times
Thanks Olivier, I'm aware of this but at £60 it's a bit expensive for now.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dima

Quote from: vandermolen on May 12, 2021, 01:23:48 AM
In the UK the release date of the Petrenko/Oslo PO recording of Symphony No.27 (with Prokofiev's 6th Symphony) has been pushed back from April to 21st May:

Vasiliy Petrenko is not a bad conductor but this recording was upset for me (in my view he is young conductor who like analytic style of conducting with energetic tempos). May be you know after the summer of 2021 he will change Vladimir Jurowski in the Svetlanov's orchestra. I have listened 6 symphony of Prokofiev - very ordinary if compare with other recordings of this symphony.
Myaskovsky is played analytically in western way without russian poetry I used to. You hear only beautiful melodies but you don't feel the context of the last work and the results of life - it's a pity.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2021, 10:52:15 AM
Thanks Olivier, I'm aware of this but at £60 it's a bit expensive for now.

Priced for acquisition by music libraries, I expect.  When things are back to normal, I'll ping my friend in the NEC library.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 28, 2021, 03:47:59 AM
That's great, but where is the book written by Jeffrey?  :)
Haha! Thanks  :)
If I ever get to properly retire (my 'part-time' teaching and counselling work seems to be taking up an increasing amount of my time) I have thought of writing something more substantial on NYM but there are now two large biographies in English (I helped a bit with the earlier one written by Gregor Tassie) and I'm quite happy to have written the booklet notes for half-a-dozen NYM CDS (included in the Alto boxed set as well). Also, I don't speak Russian which doesn't help!

PS I'm adding symphonies 4 and 11 (on the same CD) to my list of favourite NYM symphonies - I hadn't realised how good No.4 is.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 28, 2021, 05:54:33 PM
Priced for acquisition by music libraries, I expect.  When things are back to normal, I'll ping my friend in the NEC library.
That's a good idea Karl. I might ask my local library if they can source a copy.

foxandpeng

It's been years since I've listened to Miaskovsky's work, but I've been looking for ways to help my wife connect to classical music, so played #27 to her last night as a wind down after a busy day. Seems to have been something of a success!

I have an abiding love for lots of Russian/Soviet composers, so the lyricism and melodic accessibility of each movement is a welcome return. Thanks again to you all for a worthy reminder.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 31, 2021, 01:33:30 PM
It's been years since I've listened to Miaskovsky's work, but I've been looking for ways to help my wife connect to classical music, so played #27 to her last night as a wind down after a busy day. Seems to have been something of a success!

I have an abiding love for lots of Russian/Soviet composers, so the lyricism and melodic accessibility of each movement is a welcome return. Thanks again to you all for a worthy reminder.
No.27 is a great way into Miaskovsky's music - one of his finest I think. I find it sad, moving and yet inspiriting - I see the finale as a kind of paean to life from the dying composer after the most heartfelt slow movement. Which recording were you playing?

aligreto

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 31, 2021, 01:33:30 PM

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2021, 12:25:35 AM
No.27 is a great way into Miaskovsky's music - one of his finest I think. I find it sad, moving and yet inspiriting - I see the finale as a kind of paean to life from the dying composer after the most heartfelt slow movement. Which recording were you playing?

I don't think that one cane be but moved by that wonderful slow movement of No. 27.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2021, 12:25:35 AM

This one... it has an emotive quality that is difficult to ignore. My wife isn't the greatest fan of classical music (describing Sibelius as 'lift music' last year), but remarked at its lyricism and beauty.

I'm intending to revisit the whole cycle in the next weeks.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

aligreto

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 02, 2021, 01:01:07 AM
My wife isn't the greatest fan of classical music (describing Sibelius as 'lift music' last year),

Ouch!  ;D

foxandpeng

Quote from: aligreto on June 02, 2021, 01:31:19 AM
Ouch!  ;D

I find it quite bizarre. Our music outside of classical finds us as primary metalheads of the denser, more complex, and often dissonant type, so a difficult or challenging sound world present in many composers who don't focus obviously on melody until you hear them repeatedly, isn't something new. But Sibelius is hardly that. It is all, apparently, 'a bit like wallpaper'. As a software developer with postgrads in history and literature, she is no slouch, but it just doesn't seem to compute. Who knows?

Miaskovsky won't do any harm. I do need to poke his Quartets also... Any recommendations on best places to start, would be appreciated...

Tolstoy

aligreto

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 02, 2021, 01:49:25 AM

Miaskovsky won't do any harm. I do need to poke his Quartets also... Any recommendations on best places to start, would be appreciated...

Unfortunately not, I am afraid. I am in the same position as you. I am not familiar with the Quartets......yet  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 02, 2021, 01:49:25 AM
I find it quite bizarre. Our music outside of classical finds us as primary metalheads of the denser, more complex, and often dissonant type, so a difficult or challenging sound world present in many composers who don't focus obviously on melody until you hear them repeatedly, isn't something new. But Sibelius is hardly that. It is all, apparently, 'a bit like wallpaper'. As a software developer with postgrads in history and literature, she is no slouch, but it just doesn't seem to compute. Who knows?

Try No.13 Danny (there are several recordings). Like the 27th Symphony it has a heartfelt valedictory quality which is very characteristic. I have to admit, however, that despite being 'The World's leading authority on Miaskovsky' ( ;D) I should be more familiar with the quartets than I am.

I can relate to the 'Wife Situation' however and am used to comments here like 'MUST WE LISTEN TO THIS NOISE?' and 'IT SOUNDS LIKE WORLD WAR 3 GOING ON IN THERE!' from my wife  ::)

foxandpeng

Quote from: aligreto on June 02, 2021, 02:56:03 AM
Unfortunately not, I am afraid. I am in the same position as you. I am not familiar with the Quartets......yet  ;)

Hehe. My intention, exactly. I am simultaneously poking Shostakovich SQs, which I am finding more challenging. Over the years, I have enjoyed the 'easier' ones like #4 and #8 and found them to be a real joy once I have got beyond a vague grasp of them, but others are just hard work. I doubt that Miaskovsky will be as tough.

Quote from: vandermolen on June 02, 2021, 03:42:17 AM
Try No.13 Danny (there are several recordings). Like the 27th Symphony it has a heartfelt valedictory quality which is very characteristic. I have to admit, however, that despite being 'The World's leading authority on Miaskovsky' ( ;D) I should be more familiar with the quartets than I am.

I can relate to the 'Wife Situation' however and am used to comments here like 'MUST WE LISTEN TO THIS NOISE?' and 'IT SOUNDS LIKE WORLD WAR 3 GOING ON IN THERE!' from my wife  ::)

Thanks, Jeffrey. I will run at #13 later today. Your status as something of an authority on Miaskovsky, however little you feel that, has been helpful in prodding my wife to listen. 'Did you know, I know the guy who...'

My wife has a favourite Basil Fawlty quotation based on Sybil's categorisation of Brahms' Third Racket which she has appropriated for everything outside of Philip Glass 1 & 4 (due to the Bowie connections), Glazunov 5, Rubbra 3, Pettersson 7 ('play that agonised one'), and Holmboe 6 ('not that again, but at least I am getting used to it now'). She was recently kind enough to buy me some lovely Sony WH-1000X M3 headphones 'to help my enjoyment'. Not so she doesn't have to share my rekindled passion for orchestral music. Honest. Particularly not because I have been listening to 'those appalling Hosokawa flute pieces that sound like the cat has got caught in the dryer, and those tuneless Rautavaara choral catastrophes'. Yeah, right.

Point is, Miaskovsky at bed time to aid sleep and distract from my ridiculous tinnitus, is acceptable. And predictable volume-wise, broadly. He is, at least, soporific.

Tolstoy