Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2007, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 22, 2010, 05:42:45 PM
I'm not surprised that your avatar is the only picture of Braga Santos on the Web. It seems like outside of Portugal he's not well known and that's a real shame. I still return to his "Symphony No. 4" from time to time. This symphony and probably his 3rd are my favorites. In later years, he got very harsh and dissonant.

The Svetlanov set is a great way to hear all the Mysaskovsky symphonies and there were many obstacles in the way to get that box set released I'm sure, but I'm very grateful for Svetlanov.

Oddly enough I was listening to Braga Santos' Symphony No 4 in the car today - one of my favourite symphonies. I'm not sure that he's that well known even in Portugal - although I hope he is. Symphony No 3 is my other favourite.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jowcol

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 22, 2010, 05:42:45 PM
I'm not surprised that your avatar is the only picture of Braga Santos on the Web. It seems like outside of Portugal he's not well known and that's a real shame. I still return to his "Symphony No. 4" from time to time. This symphony and probably his 3rd are my favorites. In later years, he got very harsh and

Wandering a bit off topic-- but I also like Braga Santos's 2nd very much-- more than the 3rd.  But the first 4 are essential listening in my book.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: jowcol on June 23, 2010, 07:48:09 AMBut the first 4 are essential listening in my book.

Absolutely, I only wished more people would take a chance and explore this great composer.

just Jeff

Quote from: springrite on November 14, 2009, 07:33:10 AM
Just got the cello concerto, part of the Brilliant Rostropovich box. I have the Olympia recording for years. Love the work. Will give the Rostropovich a spin as soon as I have a chance.

Listened to the complete piano sonatas last week. Glenn Gould was right. Magnificent works that should be heard more often!

Paul, just as an excuse to bump up this thread, these pictures are of the works as they appeared on original Melodiya vinyl issues.  10" LPs as a matter of fact for these two.

Btw, how did you like the CD issue you have of the Rostropovich Cello?

20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

madaboutmahler

Listening to Myaskovsky's 24th symphony at the moment, one John has been recommending for quite a while. Absolutely loving it, this is absolutely great music!! The slow movement was incredible, extremely moving, very emotional indeed! One of the the themes seemed very familiar... did Shosty refer to it in his 12th symphony? It was Svetlanov's recording I listened to. :)

[asin]B00008ZZ2P[/asin]

This recording looks very nice and has good reviews, anyone here have it?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 26, 2013, 02:08:22 PM
Listening to Myaskovsky's 24th symphony at the moment, one John has been recommending for quite a while. Absolutely loving it, this is absolutely great music!! The slow movement was incredible, extremely moving, very emotional indeed! One of the the themes seemed very familiar... did Shosty refer to it in his 12th symphony? It was Svetlanov's recording I listened to. :)

[asin]B00008ZZ2P[/asin]

This recording looks very nice and has good reviews, anyone here have it?

Glad you enjoyed it, Daniel. Svetlanov's performance is the one to own. Yablonsky is too pedestrian and mild-mannered in this particular performance. Go ahead and buy Svetlanov's Myaskovsky symphony set and be done with it. ;D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 26, 2013, 03:15:55 PM
Glad you enjoyed it, Daniel. Svetlanov's performance is the one to own. Yablonsky is too pedestrian and mild-mannered in this particular performance. Go ahead and buy Svetlanov's Myaskovsky symphony set and be done with it. ;D

Thanks, John! haha, I'll try and save up for it! Which of his symphonies would you recommend I listen to next?
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 26, 2013, 03:26:57 PM
Thanks, John! haha, I'll try and save up for it! Which of his symphonies would you recommend I listen to next?

Symphony No. 27 is a masterful work. You will enjoy it no doubt about it.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 26, 2013, 03:30:59 PM
Symphony No. 27 is a masterful work. You will enjoy it no doubt about it.

Thanks for the recommendation, John! I shall make sure to listen to it soon! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on June 22, 2010, 10:48:10 AM
Thank you (re Braga Santos pic). Actually it appears to be the ONLY photo of Braga Santos that I can find on the Internet!

You mean that's NOT Myaskovsky in you pic right there?? :o ??? :o ??? whaaaat????

snyprrr

Quote from: just Jeff on November 17, 2010, 03:51:46 AM

Btw, how did you like the CD issue you have of the Rostropovich Cello?

I pulled out Lloyd Webber's Cello Concerto (Philips). I have really yet to venture into the Symphonies, but I have been slightly disappointed by my past forays,... I'm ALWAYS led back to the CC, and that plaintive melody,... and then that crushing climax with the mighty, Sibelian-like Panavision Melody,... yaaah  yaaah yaaah yah yah yah... you know! :D

Anyhow, again, I was drawn to, and again slightly repelled by Myaskovsky's congenital use of his favorite techniques. He's aaaalways modulating, up up up, like Rubinstein's ghost hanging over our forlorn hero. The CC, in two movements, seems perfect Myaskovsky to me, the actual FIRST recommendation anyone should take. It has all the best traits in spades.

btw- I find the Philips crisper than a head of Iceberg chopped by a Ginsu! 'Noble' sound throughout.

Seriously I NEED a Myaskovsky recommends, BUT, I already know too much. Just off the top of my head, here's the ones I'd like to try:

No.13 - this is the one with the 'bad' reputation, very wild?

No.11- is this the one I recall getting high marks?

No.19- if this is the Band Symphony, I'd love to hear it in perhaps a non Russian performance? How are the ones now?

No.16- is this the one dedicated to the airman? I hear this one is beautiful.

Actually, guys, could maybe one of you just do us the favor?? NO ONE EVER EVER talks about the rarest of the Symphonies, like, why don't I hear anything about 20 in f#-minor and 21 in b-minor, the Symphony-Ballade...

and 25 in Db-Major or 26 in C-Major, Symphony on Russian Themes?

14 in C-Major

15 in d-minor

18 in C-Major

19 in Eb-Major

and what of No.17 in g#-minor?

Iwaaaaaaaah :'(, come on guys, help us OUT here!!! Listen, and Post. Listen, and Post.

I just don't recall this Thread being all that substantiative. Myaskovsky is... what...

I'll just go to amazon...

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on March 27, 2013, 01:18:25 AM
My favorite is no 22!

Great! And I was also feeling No.17. Can't wait to check YT!!

Karl Henning

The Pacifica Quartet included the Thirteenth String Quartet (Op.86, in a minor) in their Vol. I of The Soviet Experience (the Shostakovich quartets are nos. 5-8).  The writing is self-consciously more conservative than that of his famous friend Prokofiev.  The Pacificas play their heart out here, as for the whole disc.  I'm not sure that Myaskovsky is, overall, my thing, but I am glad to know this piece, and applaud the quartet both for intelligent, sensitive programming, and no-reservations commitment in execution.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

I listened to most of 17, 22, and some of 23, but, wow, I'm just not in the mood for the Technicolor Panavision thing right now in my life. Yea, I heard Finzi-meets-Harris in places, and it's all very lovely, but, it reminds me of a bunch of modern drunks reading the AA book from 1939. I can't help but be transported to a specific time and places with Myaskovsky, and, I'm just not there right now in my life.

I WILL continue through the Symphonies on YT.

mszczuj

I have listened to the whole Svetlanov box his month. I have started with the 1st Symphony, planning to listen to all the works once. But I have liked it so much, that I have relistened it at once. So I have gone further with next opuses with relistening of all work. But after the 3rd Symphony I have completely changed my mind and have started to listen to the box from the first to the last CD without care of chronology and without relistening.

So I don't remember which symphonies are better and which are worse. Good music but it is not very comfortable to stay, live and think in the world in which it was created.

snyprrr

Quote from: mszczuj on March 27, 2013, 11:21:42 AM
I have listened to the whole Svetlanov box his month. I have started with the 1st Symphony, planning to listen to all the works once. But I have liked it so much, that I have relistened it at once. So I have gone further with next opuses with relistening of all work. But after the 3rd Symphony I have completely changed my mind and have started to listen to the box from the first to the last CD without care of chronology and without relistening.

So I don't remember which symphonies are better and which are worse. Good music but it is not very comfortable to stay, live and think in the world in which it was created.

THAT'S! how I feel about it. Perfect. It IS disturbing music.

Well, I HAVE to listen to the infamous 13that least once. And I still have a few more I want to dip into... but it's very hard to digest for me right now.

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2013, 09:38:36 AM
The Pacifica Quartet included the Thirteenth String Quartet (Op.86, in a minor) in their Vol. I of The Soviet Experience (the Shostakovich quartets are nos. 5-8).  The writing is self-consciously more conservative than that of his famous friend Prokofiev.  The Pacificas play their heart out here, as for the whole disc.  I'm not sure that Myaskovsky is, overall, my thing, but I am glad to know this piece, and applaud the quartet both for intelligent, sensitive programming, and no-reservations commitment in execution.

The 13th is a little more vigorous than I would have liked: I love the minor key melodic stuff, but, again, Myaskovsky modulates and 'develops' in his way, which CAN tax one's sense of free flow. The 7th and 11th SQs, I believe, are the absolute best examples, the 11th especially sounding like nothing else.

His 3rd SQ, a student work, is wonderfully funereal, with a Grieg theme, wonderfully malincolico.

The 7th and 11th SQs (the early 3rd,... even the 9th as an example of his brand of avant-garde), the Cello Concerto, the Cello Sonata No.2,... these are the works I stand behind. I'm sure one of his Symphonies will hit in a way... perhaps.

Brahmsian

Well, I've really enjoyed the symphonies I've listened to thus far.  But, I am taking my time going through the set, as these are very dark, and yes, disturbing works in some ways.  Even darker than Shostakovich.

Hmm, I'm tempted to explore the string quartets now, too!  :)

In a few of the symphonies I've heard thus far, I can almost hear a quasi Jaws theme!   ;D

AND, I love that about 18 or 19 of the 27 symphonies are in minor keys!  :D (I'm just guessing the #, don't quote me on it).  ;)

The symphonies I've 'first listened to so far are:

#1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 19 and 25.  Also, the Symphony-Suite in A minor, and the Slav Rhapsody in D minor.

Mirror Image

Wow, Ray, wait until you heard Symphonies 24 & 27. These are, for me, the best of the lot.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2013, 06:32:14 PM
Wow, Ray, wait until you heard Symphonies 24 & 27. These are, for me, the best of the lot.

Well, I have a lot to look forward to yet!  ;D  I'm going to save these for last!  :)