Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2007, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 27, 2013, 06:36:43 PM
Well, I have a lot to look forward to yet!  ;D  I'm going to save these for last!  :)

Symphony No. 27 is especially poignant as he was writing this work as he was dying.

Brahmsian

This set is great, thus far, in every way.  Another great thing about this set is this:  16 discs, all over 75 minutes, except one at a paltry 74:01 minutes.  ;D  Great value for money.

Highly recommended!

[asin]B000XCTD5S[/asin]

Brahmsian

Quote from: sanantonio on March 29, 2013, 05:29:27 AM
I have been enjoying these for the last month or so -

[asin]B000TQEJBG[/asin]

[asin]B000ZN714K[/asin]

[asin]B0012RCMXI[/asin]

[asin]B0014FAG7C[/asin]

Ooh!!  Thanks for posting these.  Being a chamber nut, and I love the Taneyev Qt's performances of same name composer on the Northern Flowers label, this seems like a natural no-brainer choice for these!

Thanks again, Sanantonio:)

Beorn

I'm not sure I've heard Miaskovsky, but there is plenty on Spotify.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Beorn on March 29, 2013, 05:34:36 AM
I'm not sure I've heard Miaskovsky, but there is plenty on Spotify.

Check it out (some symphonies).  If you like Shostakovich, you might dig some of these Dave!  :)

Beorn

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2013, 05:36:50 AM
Check it out (some symphonies).  If you like Shostakovich, you might dig some of these Dave!  :)

Yes, I do like some Shostakovich. Thank you.

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on March 26, 2013, 07:02:30 PM
You mean that's NOT Myaskovsky in you pic right there?? :o ??? :o ??? whaaaat????

Yes it is - Braga Santos made a guest appearance only!  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Pressure of work and family illness has kept me away from GMG Forum but I'm pleased to see the phoenix-like revival of my old Miaskovsky thread and I've been enjoying the postings.

Here is my recommendation today - a fine recording of the 15th Symphony which has been enquired about here. I think that it is one of the best (along with 17, 21, 27 and 6). Kondrashin was a fine conductor of Miaskovsky (his Russian Disc version of No 6 is my favourite). Also the Shostakovich coupling was considered the best version in a music magazine recently. The CD is under £6.00 on UK Amazon.
[asin]B00002541V[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on March 29, 2013, 06:07:10 AM
Yes it is - Braga Santos made a guest appearance only!  :)

So far I have liked Symphony No.11 the best of what I've listened to so far (22, 24, 25, 17, 13). It sounds 'right' to me in ways that the others haven't. Goldilock's Favorite so far!

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on April 10, 2013, 06:20:59 PM
So far I have liked Symphony No.11 the best of what I've listened to so far (22, 24, 25, 17, 13). It sounds 'right' to me in ways that the others haven't. Goldilock's Favorite so far!

Do listen to the epic no 6 and the concise No 21 - these are two of the very best. No 16 (in commemoration of an air disaster) has a wonderful slow movement, No 23 is one of the most approachable (based on Caucasian folk songs) and the valedictory Symphony No 27, written at the very end of Miaskovsky's life, is very moving and also has a wonderful slow movement. My favourite chamber work is Cello Sonata No 2.

Octave

I'm interested in getting this EMI-GROC edition of the Miaskovsky cello concerto by Rostropovich/Sargent.  Just curious how the performance compares to the one included in that Brilliant box, or for that matter how either of those Slava recordings compare with any others. 

[asin]B000MX7SVE[/asin]

I have done a little footwork, but mainly looking for opinions on the Slava.  Here are some interchanges between Vandermolen and Guido from 4-6 years ago:

Quote from: Guido on May 09, 2008, 04:45:31 PM
For the Miaskovsky there are also many fine recordings - again Tarasova is great because it comes coupled with the two cello sonatas, but Rostropovich's live account or studio account really can't be beaten - it was the first thing he recorded, very early in his career. Actually I believe he recorded it more than twice, but I've only heard two versions.

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2008, 01:37:44 PM
Totally agree, also about the Rostropovich/Sargent Miaskovsky Cello Concerto, although the version on Chandos (with Symphony 27 is also excellent).

Quote from: Guido on June 12, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
The cello concerto is a superb work. It has the same sort of world weary nostalgia as the Elgar cello concerto, and was written at the end of the second world war (rather than the first). It's been recorded a few times, but I only recently heard the Rostropovich version - don't know why I'm surprised but it's easily the best version out there - his first recording. There's a live version too that is also superb. I thought I already loved the piece, but Rostropovich reveals it to be great work that it is - his colouring of the solo part is just wonderful.

Quote from: vandermolen on June 12, 2007, 11:33:22 PM
I agree. EMI have just reissued the studio recording with Malcolm Sargent. The Chandos version is very good too.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

vandermolen

The Rostropovich/Sargent version is the best version I have heard - it would be my desert island choice, both for the soulful playing of the solo part and for Sargent's sensitive accompaniment. Although Prokofiev was a great composer and a great friend of Miaskovsky I do not like his Sinfonia Concertante. I think that the Miaskovsky is a much greater work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 23, 2013, 12:46:34 PM
The Rostropovich/Sargent version is the best version I have heard - it would be my desert island choice, both for the soulful playing of the solo part and for Sargent's sensitive accompaniment. Although Prokofiev was a great composer and a great friend of Miaskovsky I do not like his Sinfonia Concertante. I think that the Miaskovsky is a much greater work.

I definitely don't like Rostropovich's performance of Prokofiev's Sinfonia Concertante and the unflattering accompaniment of Malcolm Sargent doesn't help.

Octave

FYI for those who'd like the Miaskovsky/Rostropovich/Sargent, but not the Prokofiev, this disc might have the more appetizing filler: Taneyev's SUITE DE CONCERT w/Oistrakh/Malko:

[asin]B00000DOE7[/asin]

It doesn't make sense for me, because I already have the Taneyev in the EMI Oistrakh box; but it's an option.

I miss the EMI Matrix series!  I liked the artwork on those discs.  It had a psychotropic kids' storybook flavour.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

vandermolen

Quote from: Octave on April 23, 2013, 01:25:15 PM
FYI for those who'd like the Miaskovsky/Rostropovich/Sargent, but not the Prokofiev, this disc might have the more appetizing filler: Taneyev's SUITE DE CONCERT w/Oistrakh/Malko:

[asin]B00000DOE7[/asin]

It doesn't make sense for me, because I already have the Taneyev in the EMI Oistrakh box; but it's an option.

I miss the EMI Matrix series!  I liked the artwork on those discs.  It had a psychotropic kids' storybook flavour.

Yes, I agree. This is a fine CD. Shostakovich's 8th Symphony (Previn) was in the same series with a drawing of a boot on the cover. It is my favourite version of the symphony.

snyprrr

Lloyd Webber (Philips) is a sleeper here! Sleeper Alert! Plus Sound!

waaaah  waaaah  waaaah waaaah
Sleeper Alert!

pencils

Attempting to work while listening to Miaskovsky 3. Not going well. Too much listening, not enough writing.

Bad Miaskovsky!

This really is an excellent piece - tuneful, thoughtful, well paced, inventive...

vandermolen

Quote from: pencils on July 14, 2013, 05:38:35 AM
Attempting to work while listening to Miaskovsky 3. Not going well. Too much listening, not enough writing.

Bad Miaskovsky!

This really is an excellent piece - tuneful, thoughtful, well paced, inventive...

The Third is great. Some influence perhaps of Cesar Franck and Scriabin but Miaskovsky's personal brand of lugubrious melancholy is definitely there and I love the doleful ending.

Karl Henning

. . . Although Prokofiev was a great composer and a great friend of Miaskovsky I do not like his Sinfonia Concertante.

Jeffrey, I'm cryin' here . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

pencils

Well, 1 through 6 are excellent. I think I am going to listen chronologically seeing as how I have started that way.I am loving it so far.