Jean-Philippe Rameau

Started by offbeat, November 26, 2009, 08:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Rameau:  Keyboard Works [Scott Ross]

Premier Livre [1706]: This is wonderfully refined music that is really wonderfully played by Ross. I have always found this music to be very engaging. Ross was an exceptional musician as far as I am concerned. He always delivered a supreme performance in terms of musical integrity and interpretation for me. The touch and interpretation of the Premier Livre (1706) is suitably delicate and sensitive. I like the sound of the chosen instrument and the recorded sound portrays it in an excellent acoustic.

Pièces de clavecin [1724]: It is interesting to hear and feel the music developing and maturing here over the Premier Livre. The music is definitely more assertive and vital and it has a much bigger presence; it definitely makes one pay attention. Ross reflects this very well in his performance approach. The chosen instrument sounds wonderful and the recorded sound is excellent and it is very well balanced.

Nouvelles Suites de pièces de clavecin [1728]: I have always liked the solo harpsichord music of Rameau. It has always offered a different outlook on the genre and period for me. Up until now I have not experienced Ross playing Rameau's music. I find his presentations to be excellent. He is consistently contemplative, steady or exuberant whenever it is appropriate or relevant. This music has all of those attributes and Ross delivers the music consistently very well indeed. Ross' exquisite playing always portrays the music in a wonderful light. The instrument played is on the light and bright side and is excellently recorded.

Pièces de clavecin en concerts [1741]: I have always liked this set. They seem to encapsulate Rameau's oeuvre for solo harpsichord and I find them to be very charming and engaging. Ross plays them exquisitely as one would expect.