Jean-Philippe Rameau

Started by offbeat, November 26, 2009, 08:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: ritter on October 12, 2014, 06:22:34 AM
This curiosity might be of interest to those who like Rameau and Mahler...just listen to the first bars, and see if it rings a bell  ;) :

http://www.youtube.com/v/na8N0uB1Dnc
Acante et Céphise: Ouverture

Pure coincidence (I really doubt that Mahler ever had access to this music), but odd in any case...

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with Mahler's works. (I once heard Mahler's 1st symphony years ago and enjoyed it, but that's it.)

Could you be a bit more specific for us Mahler neophytes?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2014, 03:41:56 AM
I like the look of that Hippolyte. ...

Same here. I'm wishin' and a-hopin' that'll be released on Blu-ray soon.

Quote... I'll put that one in my wish list right next to the Paladins DVD.  :)

Excellent.

I think that if you had the DVDs of Les Indes Galantes, Les Paladins, and now the new Hippolyte et Aricie, you'd be good to go with Rameau.

(Or, as advertising people might put it: You're Good To Go With Rameau!™)

North Star

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 12, 2014, 01:43:33 PM
Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with Mahler's works. (I once heard Mahler's 1st symphony years ago and enjoyed it, but that's it.)

Could you be a bit more specific for us Mahler neophytes?
The opening of the Sixth Symphony.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Peter Power Pop

TheGSMoeller

My first time hearing Kudritskaya perform Rameau, here with Gavotte et six Doubles.

http://www.youtube.com/v/HuJ-LKEH6W0

JCBuckley

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 14, 2014, 08:41:13 AM
My first time hearing Kudritskaya perform Rameau, here with Gavotte et six Doubles.

Gorgeous - thank you. Unfortunately her Rameau CD is available in the UK only as a wickedly expensive import. Next time I'm in Paris . . .

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: JCBuckley on October 15, 2014, 09:16:05 AM
Gorgeous - thank you. Unfortunately her Rameau CD is available in the UK only as a wickedly expensive import. Next time I'm in Paris . . .

Gorgeous, indeed.
I purchased a track from iTunes to check the quality and it seems just fine, so I'll probably download the rest this evening. Looking forward to a full listen of this album.

Peter Power Pop

Natacha Kudritskaya's Rameau disc is available in a few places, but you're right – it's expensive:

Natacha Kudritskaya - Rameau (CD)
Amazon.com (£19.58)
Amazon.com ($33.59)
Amazon.fr (EUR 12,99)
ArkivMusic ($34.99)
CD Universe ($35.49)
eBay (prices from $30.96 to $65.59 – eep!)

As for downloads:

Amazon.com – MP3 ($9.49)
emusic – MP3 ($9.99)
iTunes ($18.99)
Qobuz – CD Quality (Lossless 16 bit/44.1 kHz) (£9.99) / Studio Masters Quality (24 bit) (£14.99)
7digital – MP3 (£7.92)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 15, 2014, 03:35:32 PM
Natacha Kudritskaya's Rameau disc is available in a few places, but you're right – it's expensive:

As for downloads:

iTunes ($18.99)

My iTunes is showing up $10.99.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 15, 2014, 04:08:10 PM
My iTunes is showing up $10.99.

Ah, the perils of me living in Australia. (Why, iTunes, why?)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 15, 2014, 04:33:18 PM
Ah, the perils of me living in Australia. (Why, iTunes, why?)

Oh that's right, I forgot they have different prices. Bummer  :-[

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 15, 2014, 04:38:58 PM
Oh that's right, I forgot they have different prices. Bummer  :-[

Yep. But I don't buy downloads if I can help it (especially not low-bitrate MP3s). I'm a CD guy through and through.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 15, 2014, 04:41:12 PM
Yep. But I don't buy downloads if I can help it (especially not low-bitrate MP3s). I'm a CD guy through and through.

100% me as well. With the only exception being single tracks or, as with the case of Kudritskaya, the digital copy's price is too tempting, plus Qobuz having lossless for around $14 dollars is another factor.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 15, 2014, 04:56:58 PM
100% me as well. With the only exception being single tracks or, as with the case of Kudritskaya, the digital copy's price is too tempting, plus Qobuz having lossless for around $14 dollars is another factor.

Unfortunately for me, whenever I go to Qobuz and look at the goodies on display I'm greeted with a "Qobuz is not available for your country" message.

And unfortunately for you, those Qobuz prices are in British pounds, not dollars.

ritter

[asin]B00A0VVQAM[/asin]

This CD is being offered for 13 € in AmFr (best price I've seen anywhere)... Needless to say, I got it!  :) Everyone says it's outstanding; thanks for the tip, GMGers!

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: ritter on October 16, 2014, 05:19:46 AM
[asin]B00A0VVQAM[/asin]

This CD is being offered for 13 € in AmFr (best price I've seen anywhere)... Needless to say, I got it!  :) Everyone says it's outstanding; thanks for the tip, GMGers!

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.fr/Rameau-Par-Natacha-Kudritskaya/dp/B00A0VVQAM

And the CD is still €13. (Well, €12.99 if you want to get pedantic.)

JCBuckley

I've had this CD sitting in my Amazon basket for the past week. Price has been dropping by £1 a day on average, and has now fallen from around £20 to £11. Time to press Buy, I reckon.

ritter

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 10, 2014, 06:55:29 PM
Oh, the thought of Currentzis/MusicAeterna performing Rameau gives me chills. I love seeing new Rameau recordings.  8)
I saw this CD for sale in Berlin last week, and then again in Madrid over the weekend, and almost got it, but then thought: "Hey, wait a minute! Those videos Peter Power Pop posted do seem rushed, and what's the point of a Rameau bleeding chunks (or rather, morceaux sanglants--an overture here, an air there, a rigaudon further down) CD anyway?" So, I haven't succumbed so far... Has anyone gone for it? Just curious...

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: ritter on October 28, 2014, 02:31:00 PM

I saw this CD for sale in Berlin last week, and then again in Madrid over the weekend, and almost got it, but then thought: "Hey, wait a minute! Those videos Peter Power Pop posted do seem rushed, and what's the point of a Rameau bleeding chunks (or rather, morceaux sanglants--an overture here, an air there, a rigaudon further down) CD anyway?" So, I haven't succumbed so far... Has anyone gone for it? Just curious...

From what I've heard of Teodor Currentzis, he sounds like the kind of conductor who emphasizes dynamics where it may be completely unnecessary to do so. (Although I like his recording of Purcell's Dido and Aeneas.)

Exaggerated dynamics is something that occasionally bothers me. It's happens a lot with the current crop of conductors who tend to specialize in the Italian Baroque. To me, those conductors sound like they're EXAGGERATING things for the SAKE of it, or just to be DIFFERENT. It's like talking to someone, and when they speak they SHOUT at the oddest MOMENTS. ("Hi Bob, it's GREAT! to SEE! you. HOW'S! the WIFE! and kids?" etc.)

As for "Rameau bleeding chunks", that reminds me of the Marc Minkowski Rameau disc, Une Symphonie Imaginaire. I don't enjoy it much because I find it too bitty. ("Let's just take out a bit from this opera, a bit from that opera, take some other bits from here and there, orchestrate a keyboard piece, and release it as an album.") The same goes for Christophe Rousset's disc of Rameau overtures. A disc of nothing but overtures from Rameau's operas doesn't seem (to me, anyway) to give a decent overview of Rameau as an orchestral composer.

Having typed all of that, I must admit that I really like this CD:

It's a disc of excerpts from two of Rameau's operas (Zaïs and Zoroastre), but the tracks are arranged in a way that gives the listener a great picture of Rameau the composer. (It's also played beautifully, and sounds great.)

But back to Mr. Currentzis. He (or his record company) is apparently trying to build up his reputation as classical music's enfant terrible. (Just like Nigel Kennedy a generation ago.) This article in The Telegraph paints him as a determined young chap.

http://www.youtube.com/v/tccxRjtuXHk

http://www.youtube.com/v/6vZ9HPXeLfs

Moonfish

Rameau: Vingtième anniversaire des Musiciens du Louvre | Marc Minkowski

I had a great afternoon watching/listening to Rameau's works in this performance.
I loved the subtle but powerful drums starting out the concert. The performance is a two hour anthology of excerpts from Rameau's works featuring a large number of soloists. Magdalena Kozena did a wonderful job among many others. I was actually quite enchanted by the selections. Minkowski conducted with grace. Recommended!

https://www.youtube.com/v/uKepYByDoqk
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé