Late Brahms Piano Works -- that's Ops 116 - 119 mainly.

Started by Mandryka, November 28, 2009, 06:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

I am a big fan of Ranki in these works. But not taken collectively (as "complete sets"), I like Richter the most.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mandryka

Quote from: ccar on November 28, 2009, 12:42:34 PM

Other interpreters of the late Brahms piano pieces I particularly enjoy are Yudina (she even wrote a very interesting essay on the Brahms Intermezzi),

I'm quite curious to read that essay. Where is it?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

knight66

Quote from: Coopmv on November 28, 2009, 05:21:55 PM
George,   Isn't this set by Katchen considered the gold standard for Brahms solo piano works?

I had this on LP and have never replaced it on CD. I have Lupu in the late works, excellent, but without quite that magic touch I encountered with Katchen. Perhaps I will look out for it again. How does the sound stand up?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

snyprrr

Yikes, which Thread was it???

Anyhow, thanks to the Threads for the conversion! :-*

Dancing Divertimentian

These two snippets of late Brahms from Moravec are heavenly:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Oldnslow

I have several recordings of Brahms late piano works, but my favorite remains the Gould collection of 10 Intermezzi (reissued with the op.10 ballades in a two CD set). His playing is wonderful,and in some cases very unusual (what's new), especially on op.118, n.6. I have never heard another pianist play the central section legato (probably because it wasn't written that way...) but the effect is mezmarizing. 

Herman

Quote from: Oldnslow on October 30, 2010, 12:08:23 PM
I have several recordings of Brahms late piano works, but my favorite remains the Gould collection of 10 Intermezzi (reissued with the op.10 ballades in a two CD set). His playing is wonderful,and in some cases very unusual (what's new), especially on op.118, n.6. I have never heard another pianist play the central section legato (probably because it wasn't written that way...) but the effect is mezmarizing.

Gould's Brahms intermezzi &c is the only Gould recording I have. It's really special. However Lupu and mono Rubinstein are my preferred recordings.

Mandryka

Quote from: Oldnslow on October 30, 2010, 12:08:23 PM

Agreed about 118/6.

There are some other Op 118/6s which I think are special. The one I am most impressed by at the moment is from Richter in 1954. in the Hungary box. More than anyone else I know, he seems to move from despair to something wild and unchained, and on to something else I can't find the word for -- stillness maybe.

But I don't want to minimise  Gould's achievement with it. Even less so Yudina's.

mjwal

In the process of revaluing Brahms (for myself) I have moved away from Lupu (nostalgically lovely as it is) towards the few Richter recordings and the Afanassiev - thanks for the tip, Mandryka, I found this recording on line. I agree that this music must be more passionate and above all more riven, more Russian novel, in fact - he was a great friend of Turgenev's. I must get hold of the Gay book you recommend with that Brahms piece - I couldn't find the article on line. The Yudina notes are absorbing, thank you ccar! Her words on "Didn't our hearts burn within us?" and also quotations about parks and natural vistas are illuminating: one must imagine Brahms, Turgenev & al. roaming the Black Forest, the dramas of human life played out in the hotels there...a certain loftiness of spiritual approach...
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Mandryka

Quote from: mjwal on November 25, 2010, 08:24:50 AM
In the process of revaluing Brahms (for myself) I have moved away from Lupu (nostalgically lovely as it is) towards the few Richter recordings and the Afanassiev - thanks for the tip, Mandryka, I found this recording on line. I agree that this music must be more passionate and above all more riven, more Russian novel, in fact - he was a great friend of Turgenev's. I must get hold of the Gay book you recommend with that Brahms piece - I couldn't find the article on line. The Yudina notes are absorbing, thank you ccar! Her words on "Didn't our hearts burn within us?" and also quotations about parks and natural vistas are illuminating: one must imagine Brahms, Turgenev & al. roaming the Black Forest, the dramas of human life played out in the hotels there...a certain loftiness of spiritual approach...

Recent Brahms solo piano  pleasures -- Schnabel's Intermezzi;  Cziffra's Paganini Variations; Grimaud's first  Brahms CD on Erato; Tiegerman's Op 118/5; Richter Op 118/6 from Hungary in 1952;  Moravec's LP of Intermezzi (Nonsuch); Beveridge Webster's Schumann Variations. the Sokolov Heidleberg concert.

Recent Brahms solo piano  pains -- Petrov's first sonata (no one can make this music interesting); Niehaus in Op 76 (hard and fast); Elly Ney's Intermezzi (indescribably terrible)

Thinking about -- Rodriguez's Paganini Variations and Waltzes; Cziffra's Hungarian Dances (live at Senlis); Arrau's 2nd sonata; Edwin Fischer's variations on an Original Theme; Kocsis 3rd sonata; Lubimov's Handel Variatins.

Undecided about whether to buy Schliesmann's Brahms CDs, though it's inevitable that my curiosity will get the better of me in the end.  I can't make up my mind about this pianist.

matti

I wish Mindru Katz had recorded more of these, his B flat minor Op. 117 is right up my alley. I have not heard the Moravec snippets yet, but I am guessing they cannot be much less than great. 

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 29, 2010, 09:27:14 PM
These two snippets of late Brahms from Moravec are heavenly:

I wonder why all of his solo stuff never made it to CD. A lost opportunity IMO.  :-\

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on December 16, 2010, 04:19:45 PM
I wonder why all of his solo stuff never made it to CD. A lost opportunity IMO.  :-\

I'd like to know, too. But these record companies...just total enigmas.....

Supraphon would seem to be the one company most willing to issue everything from Moravec if only to cash in on his popularity in the Czech Republic. But I guess they know something I don't... :(

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

George

not edward

Quote from: George on December 16, 2010, 04:19:45 PM
Late Brahms and Moravec sounds like a marriage made in heaven. Anyone preventing us from hearing this should fry in boiling oil. :)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Dancing Divertimentian