Late Brahms Piano Works -- that's Ops 116 - 119 mainly.

Started by Mandryka, November 28, 2009, 06:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

I have had the early mono recordings of Brahms late works by Kempff for a few years and each time I listen, I feel that I enjoy some of it, but in
other places, it doesn't work at all for me.

For those who have heard his stereo recordings of these works, can you tell me if they are all that different?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

Quote from: George on November 19, 2011, 06:09:08 PM
I have had the early mono recordings of Brahms late works by Kempff for a few years and each time I listen, I feel that I enjoy some of it, but in
other places, it doesn't work at all for me.

For those who have heard his stereo recordings of these works, can you tell me if they are all that different?

Piano tone -- it's much fuller in the mono

Maybe you don't enjoy such a lyrical approach. Post Gould, it's hard to accept such an un-analytic style.

Also poetically it may not be satisfying.  He plays the music  charged with regret. Modern Brahms interpretation finds more emotional variety in the music. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

71 dB

Strange as it is I don't think I have ever heard Brahms' solo piano music.
Would these "enigmatic" late works be a good starting point or perhaps his 3 sonatas?

I am not a Brahms fanatic as you could figure out from this but I do enjoy his chamber music.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Brahmsian

Quote from: 71 dB on November 20, 2011, 03:51:47 AM
Would these "enigmatic" late works be a good starting point or perhaps his 3 sonatas?

I am not a Brahms fanatic as you could figure out from this but I do enjoy his chamber music.

Yes, both would be great to check out!  Also check out his Ballades, Op. 10, Two Rhapsodies, Op. 79, his Variations compositions for piano, and any of his music for piano 4-hands (which includes many of his chamber and orchestral works transcribed for this medium).

Definitely check out Variations on a theme by Haydn for two pianos, Op. 56b, and Variations on a theme by Robert Schumann for piano 4-hands, Op. 23

madaboutmahler

I could probably call these Late Brahms piano works, in particular op.118, my favourite piano works of all time... So beautiful.

Thinking of buying the recent Perahia recording, any thoughts?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

71 dB

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 20, 2011, 04:33:53 AM
Yes, both would be great to check out!  Also check out his Ballades, Op. 10, Two Rhapsodies, Op. 79, his Variations compositions for piano, and any of his music for piano 4-hands (which includes many of his chamber and orchestral works transcribed for this medium).

Definitely check out Variations on a theme by Haydn for two pianos, Op. 56b, and Variations on a theme by Robert Schumann for piano 4-hands, Op. 23

I asked for a starting point and You listed pretty much everything he has written but thanks anyway.  8)

My favorite solo piano composers are Fauré and Granados.

I suppose Brahms' piano music is not as colourful and possesses perhaps other kind (structural?) of strengths.

I have Variations on a theme by Haydn for orchestra, Op. 56a and I like it very much.  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Brahmsian

Quote from: 71 dB on November 20, 2011, 04:47:47 AM
I asked for a starting point and You listed pretty much everything he has written but thanks anyway.  8)

My favorite solo piano composers are Fauré and Granados.

I suppose Brahms' piano music is not as colourful and possesses perhaps other kind (structural?) of strengths.

I have Variations on a theme by Haydn for orchestra, Op. 56a and I like it very much.  :)

Sorry about that!  :D  Well, if you like the Haydn Variations for orchestra, why not try starting with that?  I actually prefer the version for two pianos, although I love both!  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: 71 dB on November 20, 2011, 03:51:47 AM

I don't like the sonatas or the ballades much. The late pieces are good but I really think the best place to atart exploring his piano music is with the Handel Variations, or Paganini Variations.

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 20, 2011, 04:45:07 AM
I could probably call these Late Brahms piano works, in particular op.118, my favourite piano works of all time... So beautiful.

Thinking of buying the recent Perahia recording, any thoughts?

His Op 118  is vigorous, unsentimental, straightforward,  robust, no nonsense, monochromatic, meat and potatoes. 

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 20, 2011, 04:56:41 AM
Sorry about that!  :D  Well, if you like the Haydn Variations for orchestra, why not try starting with that?  I actually prefer the version for two pianos, although I love both!  :)

Not a lot of recordings for that one, it seems. Which one do you like? Argerich/Rabinovich?

Mandryka

I enjoyed Argerich/Pollina Leschenko more than Argerich/Rabinovich -- it's wilder. A live recording from  Lugano

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 20, 2011, 05:37:22 AM
I enjoyed Argerich/Pollina Leschenko more than Argerich/Rabinovich -- it's wilder. A live recording from  Lugano

Cool, I have that one! So the St. Antoni variations = Haydn Variations?

Brahmsian

Quote from: George on November 20, 2011, 05:27:46 AM
Not a lot of recordings for that one, it seems. Which one do you like? Argerich/Rabinovich?

Hi George!  :)  I have the Brilliant Classics recording with Bracha Eden/Alexander Tamir

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mandryka on November 20, 2011, 05:23:46 AM
His Op 118  is vigorous, unsentimental, straightforward,  robust, no nonsense, monochromatic, meat and potatoes.

Ah, that comes as a surprise considering I have heard so much praise for it... I really want a new recording to go with my excellent Lupu recording, so any suggestions?
Thanks for getting back to me.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mandryka

Recommend complete Op 118s  which contrast with Lupu?

Yudina;  Grimaud (Erato -- not DG); Elisabeth Leonskaja.  Maybe even Gieseking.

I didn't mean to be negative about Perahia by the way. I think it's interesting that he decide to play the music as he does. I think you should hear it: it will certainly contrast with Lupu.

Quote from: George on November 20, 2011, 05:41:43 AM
Cool, I have that one! So the St. Antoni variations = Haydn Variations?

Yes

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 20, 2011, 06:38:42 AM
Hi George!  :)  I have the Brilliant Classics recording with Bracha Eden/Alexander Tamir

Hey Ray! Thanks!

And to madaboutmahler I second the Yudina suggestion.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on November 20, 2011, 07:24:49 AM
And to madaboutmahler I second the Yudina suggestion.

And to madaboutmahler I second the Grimaud suggestion.

Okay...I may have some extramusical reasons for the recommendation  ;D  But I do think her Brahms is spectacular.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 20, 2011, 07:36:51 AM
And to madaboutmahler I second the Grimaud suggestion.

Okay...I may have some extramusical reasons for the recommendation  ;D  But I do think her Brahms is spectacular.

Sarge

Sarge thinks that Brahms is German for bottom.  8)

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

haha :)

Thank you for your feedback, I shall look into both the Yudina, and the Grimaud...

:D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

George

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 20, 2011, 12:22:38 PM
haha :)

Thank you for your feedback, I shall look into both the Yudina, and the Grimaud...

:D

Although Yudina offers the most contrast to Lupu, I like Gould most of all, so if you can hear his Brahms, I definitely suggest you do.