Peterson-Berger

Started by Scarpia, November 29, 2009, 07:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Just checked what P-B works I have: symphonies 1, 3, 4 and 5 (and assorted fillers). No symphony no 2  ??? :-[. Urgent action required !

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2019, 12:52:22 AM
Thought this thread deserved to be woken up from its seven year period in hibernation.
The WAYLTN thread reveals that both Daverz and myself have been listening to Symphony No.2 'The Journey to the South' which I impulse bought on LP in my youth. It is indeed a lovely, lyrical, late-Romantic work and could, for example appeal to admirers of Rachmaninov. I've listened to it twice through this morning:

There is a very good CPO recording as well (see below).
Any other admirers?

The literal translation of the title of this Symphony would be "Journey towards the sun. I find that rather more evocative.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on November 06, 2019, 08:07:39 AM
Just checked what P-B works I have: symphonies 1, 3, 4 and 5 (and assorted fillers). No symphony no 2  ??? :-[. Urgent action required !

Most definitely my friend! I'm sure that you would enjoy it.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on November 06, 2019, 08:33:52 AM
The literal translation of the title of this Symphony would be "Journey towards the sun. I find that rather more evocative.
Thanks. My Swedish is limited (ie none) despite the fact that my brother-in-law lives in Stockholm and there is a whole Swedish side to my wife's family.
::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Symphonies 2 and 3 along with Last Summer are my favorite pieces by him. The latter is really gorgeous.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 06, 2019, 09:40:29 AM
Symphonies 2 and 3 along with Last Summer are my favorite pieces by him. The latter is really gorgeous.

How interesting Cesar. I have that work in the boxed set and have never played it!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2019, 09:47:08 AM
How interesting Cesar. I have that work in the boxed set and have never played it!

It's a thoroughly lovely and bucolic work, Jeffrey. It should appeal to you.

Mirror Image

I could never get into Peterson-Berger as I always felt that there simply is no structural unity in any of the works I've heard. There's also very little development in his music, so it felt like this "Oh, here comes a melody!" and then suddenly "There goes the melody!" as quickly as it was introduced and there's no kind of bridge between either idea. To use another analogy, it's like throwing a bunch of darts at the target and watching what happens: some of them stick while the other darts are way off from the target.

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2019, 12:52:22 AM
Thought this thread deserved to be woken up from its seven year period in hibernation.
The WAYLTN thread reveals that both Daverz and myself have been listening to Symphony No.2 'The Journey to the South'

Based on a recommendation from Andrew Hartman at MusicWeb (PDF):

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/May/Dozen_obscure_favourites.pdf

He has a second set of obscure favorites at:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Oct/Obscure_pt2_Hartman.pdf

André

Quote from: Daverz on November 07, 2019, 12:15:47 AM

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/May/Dozen_obscure_favourites.pdf

Nice! The Boccherini and Alfven are anything but obscure, though  :). I will put the Nowowiejski on my wish list. Good to see Tournemire's wonderful 3rd symphony getting the nod.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on November 07, 2019, 12:15:47 AM

Thanks. I agree with his comments on PB's Second Symphony. Tournemire's Symphony 3 'Moscow' is another very fine symphony.

Daverz

Quote from: André on November 07, 2019, 05:09:47 AM
Nice! The Boccherini and Alfven are anything but obscure, though  :). I will put the Nowowiejski on my wish list. Good to see Tournemire's wonderful 3rd symphony getting the nod.

You'd think the Boccherini would get recorded more, though (but there is a Karajan recording!).  I was surprised the it was not in Brilliant's Boccherini edition, for example.  The Op. 30 Quintets are not in that set.

Also among the obscurities is Tarrega's Recuerdos de la Alhambra.  I went looking for that online, but then thought I should check my hard drives.  I had 3 recordings of it already: Pepe Romero, Julian Bream, and Narciso Yepes.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on November 07, 2019, 05:09:47 AM

From Nowowiejski I only know his symphonies 2 & 3 and they are superb. Quo Vadis sounds right up my alley as indicated in those notes.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2019, 08:43:59 AM
Most definitely my friend! I'm sure that you would enjoy it.
:)

Well, I found it at last, along with the VC:

Yeahh!!  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: André on February 14, 2020, 04:45:46 PM

Well, I found it at last, along with the VC:

Yeahh!!  :)

That's a really nice CD - both works. It's the CD version of my original encounter with PB.
[/img]

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on May 14, 2020, 01:17:08 PM

There is a theme on the violin in the first movement of the concerto that reminds me strongly of another music. But what exactly?

It occurs at 2:57 and 12:48 in this recording, probably 10-15 seconds earlier in the CPO disc, which clocks at 2 minutes less overall than this one.

Anyone cares to listen to the passage and try to identify it?

I'm listening to this concerto right now. The passage you mentioned reminded me of Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1, the 2nd movement.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
Peterson-Berger: Violin Concerto (1928) - a rather charmingly old-fashioned lyrical work, which I have been fond of since coming across the LP in my youth.
Stig Westerberg, Swedish RSO, Nilla Pierrou (1967 recording).
This evening I had a very nice email exchange with the charming soloist Nilla Pierrou.

vers la flamme

Been enjoying this composer's second symphony on CPO. The filler works are nice, too. I like it better than I expected to.

Would love to hear more. What should I check out next?

JBS

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 17, 2022, 03:45:16 PM
Been enjoying this composer's second symphony on CPO. The filler works are nice, too. I like it better than I expected to.

Would love to hear more. What should I check out next?

I wasn't keen on this composer. I have the complete CPO set of his symphonies. If you liked this installment, you'll probably like the rest of the CPO series. [IIRC it includes a recording of the Violin Concerto as well as all the symphonies.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Quote from: JBS on May 17, 2022, 03:52:31 PM
I wasn't keen on this composer. I have the complete CPO set of his symphonies. If you liked this installment, you'll probably like the rest of the CPO series. [IIRC it includes a recording of the Violin Concerto as well as all the symphonies.]

If you're not keen on it I'll gladly take it off your hands, free of charge  ;D