Harry goes opera! Tsar Boris adventures.

Started by Harry, June 13, 2007, 09:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: stingo on June 13, 2007, 12:21:51 PM
Although I fully realize this doesn't help Harry much, but I very much like the Marriage of Figaro in Chandos' Opera in English series.

I would prefer it in the original language.

Steve

Quote from: Harry on June 13, 2007, 12:24:29 PM
Of course I know about this wonderful music, but how high is the soprano level Steve?

A fine vocal perfornace, indeed. Not too loud, an even, voice with a very natural tone. The french is also superb. Much better than Hendricks! This is my reference work. Of course, I place greater emphasis on the roles of Nadir and Zurga, and this has by far, the best Au Fond Du Temps.. on disk~

Harry

Quote from: Steve on June 13, 2007, 12:29:53 PM
A fine vocal perfornace, indeed. Not too loud, an even, voice with a very natural tone. The french is also superb. Much better than Hendricks! This is my reference work. Of course, I place greater emphasis on the roles of Nadir and Zurga, and this has by far, the best Au Fond Du Temps.. on disk~

Then I certainly will put it on my list.
I made a large money reservation already for this journey, but I have to walk a old mans pace, otherwise it will be to much in one go.

Que

Quote from: Harry on June 13, 2007, 12:34:42 PM
Then I certainly will put it on my list.
I made a large money reservation already for this journey, but I have to walk a old mans pace, otherwise it will be to much in one go.

Very wise, Harry! Opera is a whole different musical world,
First get the Boris Godunov, and go from there.

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on June 13, 2007, 12:47:15 PM
Very wise, Harry! Opera is a whole different musical world,
First get the Boris Godunov, and go from there.

Q

I will Que, first get a Boris. :)

uffeviking

I am surprised one of the best Boris DVDs not recommended is the one on VAI! It's the 1954 performance from the Bolshoi Theatre with the legendary Alexander Pirogov as Boris. The splendor of costumes and sets will dazzle you and make up for the put-on you were exposed to as your first experience in opera.

As a general rule, for your further expedition into the world of opera, remember you will not go wrong by selecting performance from Glyndebourne. Always great cast and directing and top quality music making by guest orchestra.

Have fun!

beclemund

Quote from: Bunny on June 13, 2007, 11:41:23 AMTry the RenĂ© Jacobs production of Le Nozze di Figaro.  The cd set is perfection.  The dvd is also wonderful, but with a different cast.

That disc is my favorite of my favorite work. Used to, a month would not go buy that I did not listen to Solti's Nozze, but one listen to the Jacobs performance and I have not gone back. Very beautifully performed with exceptional balance between the orchestra and singers.

If you opt for a CD Boris Harry, Abbado's '93 is the only one I would not want to do without--it is fabulous. Though, Gergiev's Philips combo is also recommendable.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Anne

I'd recommend the Gergiev DVD for Boris for now.  It has modern sound and subtitles, Kirov opera at Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg, and is on the Phillips label

There are 2 other DVD's that I enjoy:
1954 Russian Film conducted by Vassily Nebolsin, Boris is Alexander Pirogov (a famous Russian bass).  This has English subtitles.  I bought it from

VAI Video Artists International, Inc. (www.vaimusic.com)
109 Wheeler Ave.
Pleasantville, NY 10570
Tel:800-477-7146

The other one is also Russian from 1978 at the Bolshoi..  E. Nesterenko is Boris, I. Arkipova is the mezzo.  She is excellent.  This one has no subtitles but is good.  One can hear a little bit of tape hiss but is still a DVD and a very good performance.

As long as you are buying Mussorgsky opera DVD's, you might want to get his other opera: Khovanshchina .  As much as I love Boris, I love Khovanshchina even more.   Just go straight to the Gergiev version.

uffeviking

A picture to go with the Bolshoi DVD:

uffeviking

Of course if you are the open-minded and intelligent person I think you are, you could try the Boris from Barcelona. Yes, it is in Russian and you will hear one of our best contemporary bassists in the title role: Matti Salminen!

Philip Langridge comes close to stealing the show with his portrayal of Prince Shuisky. What an actor he is!!

Did I forget to tell you that Salminen is wearing a business suit, and so are all the other male singers? Said in the beginning that I judge you to be open-minded and intelligent!  ;D

Harry

Quote from: uffeviking on June 13, 2007, 12:55:10 PM
I am surprised one of the best Boris DVDs not recommended is the one on VAI! It's the 1954 performance from the Bolshoi Theatre with the legendary Alexander Pirogov as Boris. The splendor of costumes and sets will dazzle you and make up for the put-on you were exposed to as your first experience in opera.

As a general rule, for your further expedition into the world of opera, remember you will not go wrong by selecting performance from Glyndebourne. Always great cast and directing and top quality music making by guest orchestra.

Have fun!

Entered on my list, thank you Lis.

Harry

Quote from: beclemund on June 13, 2007, 12:57:08 PM
That disc is my favorite of my favorite work. Used to, a month would not go buy that I did not listen to Solti's Nozze, but one listen to the Jacobs performance and I have not gone back. Very beautifully performed with exceptional balance between the orchestra and singers.

If you opt for a CD Boris Harry, Abbado's '93 is the only one I would not want to do without--it is fabulous. Though, Gergiev's Philips combo is also recommendable.

Thanks, I had my eye already on Abbado.
Gergiev, is it on DVD?

Harry

Quote from: Anne on June 13, 2007, 12:59:54 PM
I'd recommend the Gergiev DVD for Boris for now.  It has modern sound and subtitles, Kirov opera at Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg, and is on the Phillips label

There are 2 other DVD's that I enjoy:
1954 Russian Film conducted by Vassily Nebolsin, Boris is Alexander Pirogov (a famous Russian bass).  This has English subtitles.  I bought it from

VAI Video Artists International, Inc. (www.vaimusic.com)
109 Wheeler Ave.
Pleasantville, NY 10570
Tel:800-477-7146

The other one is also Russian from 1978 at the Bolshoi..  E. Nesterenko is Boris, I. Arkipova is the mezzo.  She is excellent.  This one has no subtitles but is good.  One can hear a little bit of tape hiss but is still a DVD and a very good performance.

As long as you are buying Mussorgsky opera DVD's, you might want to get his other opera: Khovanshchina .  As much as I love Boris, I love Khovanshchina even more.   Just go straight to the Gergiev version.

Oke, since Gergiev is on DVD, that will be the first I go for.
The 1954 production Lis recommended, is also a good second option.
I will also take the other operas from Mussorgsky into considerration.
Thank you Anne.

Harry

Quote from: uffeviking on June 13, 2007, 01:11:18 PM
Of course if you are the open-minded and intelligent person I think you are, you could try the Boris from Barcelona. Yes, it is in Russian and you will hear one of our best contemporary bassists in the title role: Matti Salminen!

Philip Langridge comes close to stealing the show with his portrayal of Prince Shuisky. What an actor he is!!

Did I forget to tell you that Salminen is wearing a business suit, and so are all the other male singers? Said in the beginning that I judge you to be open-minded and intelligent!  ;D

Well I will before the end of the year have several Borissen in my collection, that much is sure. ;D

uffeviking

Matti and a business suit in Barcelona. The crown is elaborate and very tsarist Russian!

orbital

WE have the Tarkovksy production (of Boris Godunov) with Gergiev at home. It is the only version I have watched/listened to. I was captivated by the production values (the set changes within the same location to give a different perspective of the scene) as much as the music. I have to watch this one again soon.

uffeviking

The Tarkovsky with Gergiev is a very good production of Boris, - I have it on an old LVD - with one drawback: Boris is not sung by a Russian! It's Robert Lloyd, an Englishman, whose Russian is good, but not flawless; it takes something away from the purpose. Yes, I know, Salminen is not a Russian either, but this Finnlander's Russian is perfect.; at least it sounds perfectly Russian to my ears.   8)

Drasko

Quote from: uffeviking on June 13, 2007, 03:35:55 PM
Yes, I know, Salminen is not a Russian either, but this Finnlander's Russian is perfect.; at least it sounds perfectly Russian to my ears.   8)

To mine as well. You should hear his Songs and Dances of Death with Vanska on BIS.

uffeviking

. . . which I have heard and hear every time I play it!  ;D

Have you heard his Slavic Romances with the Tampere PO?  8)

Drasko

Quote from: uffeviking on June 13, 2007, 04:03:01 PM
Have you heard his Slavic Romances with the Tampere PO?  8)

No, that would be this one I presume:

http://www.ondine.net/index.php?lid=en&cid=2.2&oid=2613

I'll put it on a wish list but does he sing them in Finnish (judging by the titles)? And how does Szomorú vasárnap (no.10) fits the title of the disc?

While we are on these grounds, have you ever heard Mark Bernes singing original version of Темная ночь?
If no, you can download it for free from here (just click on 'better quality file')

http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/download.php?fname=tnoch