Harry goes opera! Tsar Boris adventures.

Started by Harry, June 13, 2007, 09:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uffeviking

Had to check to remind myself! He sings them all in Finnish, but because they are all Russian songs, he sounds Russian. Sorry to disappoint you, but you should hear his 'Lights of Moscow', that's the song Pletnev played for the Reagans during his White House gig and Mr. and Mrs. Gorbachov sang, with Nancy tentatively joining in.

Odessa is another beauty!

If we continue this theme, Harry will pick up all the Salminen recital discs while he looks for his Boris!  ;D

uffeviking

I listened to the one you recommended to download, and I am sure it's the first one on the Salminen disc, which they titled Unforgettable Evening. Would that be the same?

Drasko

Quote from: uffeviking on June 13, 2007, 05:26:24 PM
I listened to the one you recommended to download, and I am sure it's the first one on the Salminen disc, which they titled Unforgettable Evening. Would that be the same?

Nope, from rather short clips available here:

http://www.emusic.com/album/Matti-Salminen-Uralin-Pihlaja-Slavic-Romances-MP3-Download/10942285.html

I'm pretty sure that one is Moscow Nights

Drasko

Quote from: uffeviking on June 13, 2007, 05:14:42 PM
but because they are all Russian songs,

Quote from: Drasko on June 13, 2007, 04:55:26 PM
And how does Szomorú vasárnap (no.10) fits the title of the disc?

That one is Hungarian song, very famous, I believe that in english it is known as Gloomy Sunday

uffeviking

I think we are caught in a small room of the Tower of Babel! All because of Harry and Boris! I count at least 5 languages so far: German, English, Rumanian (or is it Bulgarian?) Finnish, Russian. Here is the back of the Slavic Romances disc and the translation leaves a lot to be desired. The one person we urgently need is Karl Henning! He speaks Finnish and Russian and can tell us what is which on this disc. My Russian is limited to spacibo, tak, nyet, dosvedanya (?)!

Did you post a link to the Hungarian song? I lost it, sorry. - Do we need one more language? But it's fun!

Drasko

Quote from: uffeviking on June 13, 2007, 06:44:39 PM
I think we are caught in a small room of the Tower of Babel! All because of Harry and Boris! I count at least 5 languages so far: German, English, Rumanian (or is it Bulgarian?) Finnish, Russian. Here is the back of the Slavic Romances disc and the translation leaves a lot to be desired. The one person we urgently need is Karl Henning! He speaks Finnish and Russian and can tell us what is which on this disc. My Russian is limited to spacibo, tak, nyet, dosvedanya (?)!

Did you post a link to the Hungarian song? I lost it, sorry. - Do we need one more language? But it's fun!

:D :D :D

I actually think that all those songs on Salminen recital disc are either russian or touch more wider - slavic (Odessa is probably Ukrainian) except for that No.10 which is indeed Hungarian and thus not even slavic, but it is beautiful song no less.
If you want to hear it in original language go here:
http://szomoruvasarnap.lap.hu/#top
then check the download section on the lower right side.
You'll see name Maros Gábor, right click on it and choose save target as... option, click on it an it should download it (if you have any trouble I'll upload it for you tomorrow)

That one I linked you before Темная ночь (A dark Night) has nothing to do with all of this, I just thought that it is beautiful song, worth being heard

uffeviking

Sweet romantic song, this Hungarian one, Thank you! I did enjoy the Dark Night also. Sounds as if all those Slavic Romances are a bit on the tragic, or sad side. Maybe Slavs don't have happy and joyous romantic liaisons.   :'(

Florestan

All those titles are in Finnish and I suppose they are also sung in that language. Which is very strange --- to say the least --- for a disc with Slavic Romances:o

BTW, Romanian is a Latin language, not Slavic.  :)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Harry

Well I post them here, the first two Borisses on DVD, I ordered with JPC.

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

uffeviking

Quote from: Florestan on June 13, 2007, 10:35:06 PM
All those titles are in Finnish and I suppose they are also sung in that language.

Thank you, yes we know the titles are printed in Finnish, and Matti sings in Finnish. Now we want to know the titles of those Russian songs.  ???

Florestan

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 01:04:48 AM
Now we want to know the titles of those Russian songs.  ???

That's why I think it's very strange to sing Russian songs in Finnish without even mentioning the original titles.  ;D

71 dB

The one person we urgently need is Karl Henning! He speaks Finnish and Russian

Karl Henning speaks Finnish?  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on June 13, 2007, 10:50:10 PM
Well I post them here, the first two Borisses on DVD, I ordered with JPC.

Couple of days ago you asked us if Boris Godunov equals torture and now you have ordered your first two!  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on June 14, 2007, 01:44:23 AM
Couple of days ago you asked us if Boris Godunov equals torture and now you have ordered your first two!  ;D

Well maybe it will be torture, who knows? ;D

Hector

Poor man.

You are going to be inundated with recommendations ranging from the indifferent to the truly great.

See above ;D