Saul's Music Space

Started by Saul, December 04, 2009, 10:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saul

Greg, I'm surprised you didn't hear the melody in the etude.

The Caprice has some sections that has good harmony, very classical, but then there is the left hand chords in some sections, and that could be altered. I really don't want to create this extravagance harmony, because I want to keep the music very direct and not wandering to different places.

Saul

Saul

This is for Luke,

One of my early Piano Preludes, written in the Baroque Style, hope this is a better example then the F sharp minor.
I would rather compose classical sounding works that are short then long ones that are banal.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Um5caTLNyxI

Saul

Quote from: Bulldog on June 24, 2010, 05:18:09 PM
Saul's on a roll now.  In just this one thread, he gets to praise what he likes, reject what he doesn't and give us examples of his compositional skills and performance characteristics.  I'm outta here....

Did anyone stop you from doing the same exact thing?

I don't get the logic, praise, rant and show us what you got... who's stopping you?

Let's hear you!

Lethevich

If you can't enjoy the occasional good argument, False_Dmitry, then aren't you the one who is missing out? ;)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Saul

Quote from: Lethe on June 24, 2010, 05:35:56 PM
If you can't enjoy the occasional good argument, False_Dmitry, then aren't you the one who is missing out? ;)

THANK YOU!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Saul on June 24, 2010, 04:48:19 PM
This is for Luke,

One of my early Piano Preludes, written in the Baroque Style, hope this is a better example then the F sharp minor.
I would rather compose classical sounding works that are short then long ones that are banal.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Um5caTLNyxI

Do you write orchestral music? You're solo piano works are quite boring and lifeless. Oh and they're quite banal as well. You're living in the past and your music and opinions are further proof of this notion.

Saul

Here's another example of my 'classical style' composition that I really value. There is no need to break the rules of music in order to create a Romantic work.

This is a chamber work called 'At the Ocean' written for Harp, Flute & Violin.

http://www.youtube.com/v/1zah59tF4GM

Mirror Image

Quote from: Saul on June 24, 2010, 05:42:06 PM
Here's another example of my 'classical style' composition that I really value. There is no need to break the rules of music in order to create a Romantic work.

There's nothing original or interesting about this composition. It sounds like a rehash of the past. The harmonies are uninteresting and there's not enough variation in the melodies. The rhythmic aspect is almost non-existent. I want to hear your orchestral music. If you haven't composed any, then get to work.

Szykneij

Quote from: Saul on June 24, 2010, 05:42:06 PM

This would sound like mud if played by the actual instruments, especially the flute in that range. And how do you intend the violinist to articulate those 32nd note arpeggios since no articulations are indicated? Sounds more like relaxing New Age music to me.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Mirror Image

Quote from: Szykniej on June 24, 2010, 06:14:19 PM
This would sound like mud if played by the actual instruments, especially the flute in that range. And how do you intend the violinist to articulate those 32nd note arpeggios since no articulations are indicated? Sounds more like relaxing New Age music to me.

It appears that he has no knowledge of music theory whatsoever and if does he had a poor teacher. Yes, it does sound like New Age "music" to me. Heck, Yanni's better than Saul!!!!  Better yet, I would listen to Yanni before I listen to Saul's music.  :P  In both cases, I would have to be really disperate.

Saul

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 24, 2010, 05:58:47 PM
There's nothing original or interesting about this composition. It sounds like a rehash of the past. The harmonies are uninteresting and there's not enough variation in the melodies. The rhythmic aspect is almost non-existent. I want to hear your orchestral music. If you haven't composed any, then get to work.

There is absolutely nothing?

Are you been open-minded here?

It got over 30.000 views on youtube and all I was getting was praises for this music... but that's ok, you don't have to like it.
I created this with the score today for this website, but I posted this work some time ago without the score, so it got over 30,000 views.

Szykneij

Quote from: Saul on June 24, 2010, 06:22:30 PM

I created this with the score today for this website, but I posted this work some time ago without the score, so it got over 30,000 views.

So did "Speedo Fail".
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Mirror Image

Quote from: Saul on June 24, 2010, 06:22:30 PM
There is absolutely nothing?

Are you been open-minded here?

It got over 30.000 views on youtube and all I was getting was praises for this music... but that's ok, you don't have to like it.

And somehow 30,000 views translates to a great composition? Music IS NOT a popularity contest. You don't compose meaningful music and it shows.

I would be very interested in knowing who you studied composition with, because whoever it was obviously didn't teach you anything, but then again, you can't teach somebody to come up with a great piece of music. It has to come from their imagination and heart. Both of which you severely lack.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Saul on June 24, 2010, 06:34:39 PM
Personal opinion, that's what youre all about. Many people disagree with you, and this is a fact.
But anyways, I will post an Orchestral work for you...

Personal opinions are what everybody is about. I'm glad people disagree with me and I know it's a fact. It's also a fact that you live in a dream world where you believe all the birds sing your name and all the people praise you endlessly.

You still fail to answer my question: who did you study composition with?

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 24, 2010, 06:39:16 PM
Too bad Schoenberg isn't alive. If he were, I would find Saul and carry him over to Schoenberg's class by myself and force him to teach Saul.
(though it probably wouldn't help  ::) )

Saul

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 24, 2010, 06:39:16 PM

Personal opinions are what everybody is about. I'm glad people disagree with me and I know it's a fact. It's also a fact that you live in a dream world where you believe all the birds sing your name and all the people praise you endlessly.

And we are going back at the very beginning...

'Who did you study composition with'?

Like if I studied with a famous composer would that make my music worthy of your praise?
Would you be afraid to 'like' my music for what it is without knowing with whom I studied with?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on June 24, 2010, 06:42:35 PM
Too bad Schoenberg isn't alive. If he were, I would find Saul and carry him over to Schoenberg's class by myself and force him to teach Saul.
(though it probably wouldn't help  ::) )

No, that wouldn't work. You actually have to have a willingness to learn in order to study anything with anybody. If you're not willing to learn, then you're not going to learn anything. Don't you remember that Saul knows it all? :D

Saul

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 24, 2010, 06:48:15 PM
All I asked you is a simple question, Saul. Do you have any musical training? If yes, who did you study with and where did you study?

If you don't want to answer my question that is your right, but I'm just curious where you received your musical training. That's all I'm asking.

I got some theory lessons from my piano teacher and the rest is all self taught.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Saul on June 24, 2010, 06:50:26 PM
I got some theory lessons from my piano teacher and the rest is all self taught.

May I suggest you take some composition classes? This is really something that you might want to consider. Have you considered going to college and studying classical composition?