Mahler's Symphony No. 1 D Major

Started by MichaelRabin, December 04, 2009, 07:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

I'm loving this performance by Philharmonia Orchestra and Sinopoli (1990)  Got it from the library.  I think I like it even better than Tennstedt and LPO.  :)

DarkAngel

Quote from: Brahmsian on April 21, 2010, 03:55:43 PM
I'm loving this performance by Philharmonia Orchestra and Sinopoli (1990)  Got it from the library.  I think I like it even better than Tennstedt and LPO.

For Sinopoli
I was never really too impressed with his 1st, but his 5th is a real statement......goes in my top 5 list of best 5ths ever. Recommend this 2CD set for cheap and have both

For Bernstein
Not sure why people pick the later slower DG version of Mahler 1st, the NYPO 1st is one of the best in the great NYPO set, contrasts are played up more and Bernstein seems less restrained, a freer spirit at work.
Even though I prefer the NYPO 1st I will readily admit the DG 1st & 5th are the best of the DG set

Brahmsian

Quote from: DarkAngel on April 21, 2010, 04:29:32 PM

For Sinopoli
I was never really too impressed with his 1st, but his 5th is a real statement......goes in my top 5 list of best 5ths ever. Recommend this 2CD set for cheap and have both

This is the exact set I got from the library.  I'll have a listen to that 5th as soon as I get the opportunity!

springrite

Kubelik for me. But I just ordered the Mitropoulos LIVE after doing my paulb impression and listening to some clips which sounded exciting. I am looking forward to it.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Josquin des Prez

Kubelik for me as well. Actually, the entire set is amazingly consistent, though obviously there's better single recordings out there for many of the symphonies.

eyeresist

MichaelRabin

My top two are the Bertini EMI live and Kubelik Audite live. Criteria are for the music as well as sound. These two conductors have a "non-interventionist" approach - just let the music flow.
Bernstein RCOA live is too wild with tempo fluctuations and I don't like the way LB presses the tempo ahead at the very end and the sound seems constricted too.

knight66

I use this expression myself:non-interventionist, but I think it is really a misconception and that, just letting the music flow...another expression I use as shorthand....is equally inaccurate. To do what Kubelik does takes so much skill, it is not about just letting it happen.

I put forward Kubelik's DG studio version. That is not because I think it better than the live one, I don't know the live one.

A long time ago I used to enjoy Muti, but it is so long since I heard it, I may change my mind. But the Gergiev is I think better than some here suggest. It has a lot going for it.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Scarpia

There is a recording by Steinberg with Pittsburgh that appeared on Capitol FDS, briefly available as an EMI/Angel CD.  I'd venture to say it is my favorite performance, although the audio engineering was a problem.  It is a mid-50's mono recording.

MichaelRabin

Quote from: knight on April 25, 2010, 03:11:03 AM
I use this expression myself:non-interventionist, but I think it is really a misconception and that, just letting the music flow...another expression I use as shorthand....is equally inaccurate. To do what Kubelik does takes so much skill, it is not about just letting it happen.

I put forward Kubelik's DG studio version. That is not because I think it better than the live one, I don't know the live one.

A long time ago I used to enjoy Muti, but it is so long since I heard it, I may change my mind. But the Gergiev is I think better than some here suggest. It has a lot going for it.

Mike

Mike - Kubelik is a genius to let the music flow. The vibrato on the DG version is a bit wide for my liking and you will see great rewards in investing in the Audite live version. It's only GBP5.11 on MDT, with the Audite catalogue. Also, on MusicWeb - Tony Duggan's review is on this link below:-
http://www.musicweb-international.com/Mahler/Mahler1.htm

I heard the Muti years ago too and the sound is a bit too resonant for Mahler 1. A bit bombastic in terms of interpretation for me too. The Gergiev - I have not heard at all and cannot comment.

mjwal

Very interesting - Mahler #1 is not my favourite of his works and I listen to it relatively seldom compared with the Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, but of course it is essential for grasping the later symphonies. I don't know all the recordings mentioned so my comments will be limited to those I do (some I avoid - Solti, for instance, always seems to me to be about flash and I just don't bother with him any more, perhaps wrongly as far as this work is concerned). For me, the main contenders are Ancerl,  Kubelik - the latter both on DG and, very interestingly, with the VPO in 1954, which presents the symphony as without a doubt the work of a depressive character (I recently acquired this on a super-bargain 4-CD compilation by Membran, which I bought because I wanted to hear Kubelik's Bartok and Schoenberg for Mercury in the 50s) - and the hallucinatory Mitropoulos with the NYPO, which I would be tempted to put first if the sound were better (This is an EU no-name issue which fails to make clear whether this is the the 1950 recording or the later live one - it's very vivid and pungent if it is the former). I would love to hear the Adler, whose recordings of #3 are profound and lucid if non-virtuoso in the execution. The only other recording I have is Bernstein's on DG - superbly played, well recorded, rather too cinemascopy for my taste, as I recall.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

oabmarcus

Moldyoldie

QuoteWho nails Mahler 1?
Kubelik/BRSO on Audite.  Accept no substitutes! ;)
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

drogulus

Walter and Bernstein (Sony/Col.) are the ones I play. I have the Rattle recording that includes Blumine, though I haven't seen it in years. It's under a pile of other discs I never play. I really should go look for it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Verena

My faves, among many:

Chailly/Concertgebouw
Haitink/Concertgebouw (on the Christmas Matinees box)
Muti/Philadelphia (too bad he didn't make any other Mahler recordings with this group)

--Bruce

I bet the Haitink on that box is great. Haitink has become one of my favorite conductors. Unfortunately, the box is long OOP, right?
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Verena

My current favorite is an extraordinarily beautiful (IMO) live performance by Kondrashin (1981, live, with the NDR Symphony Orchestra). Sadly, Kondrashin died the night after that performance.

Renfield

Quote from: Verena on May 09, 2010, 08:22:13 AM
My current favorite is an extraordinarily beautiful (IMO) live performance by Kondrashin (1981, live, with the NDR Symphony Orchestra). Sadly, Kondrashin died the night after that performance.

Thank you for reminding me of that one.

It is indeed very special, least of all because Kondrashin stepped in for someone else, and died in his hotel room that night, as you said. It's a much more intimate reading than his Melodiya recording, which is also very good - albeit driven a bit too hard at times, IMO.

Verena

QuoteThank you for reminding me of that one.

It is indeed very special, least of all because Kondrashin stepped in for someone else, and died in his hotel room that night, as you said. It's a much more intimate reading than his Melodiya recording, which is also very good - albeit driven a bit too hard at times, IMO.

Do you - or anyone else - happen to know his other Mahler Melodiya recordings? I've been eying the set for quite some time now. Thanks.

Bulldog

Quote from: Verena on May 14, 2010, 09:56:57 AM
Do you - or anyone else - happen to know his other Mahler Melodiya recordings? I've been eying the set for quite some time now. Thanks.

Are you referring to the set that excludes Syms. 2 and 8?

Verena

QuoteAre you referring to the set that excludes Syms. 2 and 8?

Yes, exactly