Sergei Rachmaninov (1873-1943)

Started by Chaszz, December 10, 2009, 04:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Quote from: Madiel on December 07, 2019, 01:21:19 AM
I find it fascinating how it's only larger places that get translated into other languages. It's a sign of which places are important enough to have registered on the consciousness of other nations.

As far as I can tell, the only Danish locality that gets an English name is Copenhagen (and after learning Danish I do sometimes have to consciously tell myself to go with Copenhagen and not København because no-one is going to know what I'm talking about, unless I'm talking to a Dane).

Everything smaller just gets its own name, although I'm sure that in some cases the pronunciation will be wildly different (I didn't pronounce Odense remotely correctly).

(....)

I think you are right, a few other Danish places have English-version names though:

Elsinore/Helsingør (once a major customs site) and the country's 3 major geographical regions: Funen/Fyn island, Zealand/Sjælland island, Jutland/Jylland mainland.

Madiel

All true! Somehow I didn't think of any of those at the time.

I was mostly thinking of cities. I should at least have thought of Elsinore, though really that's purely through Hamlet and most English-speakers probably don't even realise it's a real place. But as I've actually been there I should have thought of it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

For us locals, it's quite interesting that Rachmaninoff stayed in Copenhagen for almost a year from January 1918, while also doing tours in Scandinavia.

Danish Wiki has some information about it; one might use Google Translate https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergej_Rachmaninov

Rachmaninoff was staying in the upscale, northern Charlottenlund area, in Ingeborgvej street, paying rent at a Lieutenant Jering's place and borrowing his piano. His daughters would frequent the local school, and the music editor Wilhelm Hansen helped him organize practical and musical matters and concerts.

Later, he stayed at Skovvej near Jægersborg Alle street, in the same area. But then the Spanish Flu came and prevented any further official arrangements, making him decide to go to the US in November 1918.

Madiel

Oh interesting. The English wikipedia does mention this, though not so extensively.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

amw

I might spend some time with the Howard Shelley complete piano works box in the coming days. I've never found his solo music easy to get into but might as well try.

Florestan

Quote from: amw on April 01, 2020, 11:19:39 PM
I might spend some time with the Howard Shelley complete piano works box in the coming days.

Quite possibly the best op. 23/5 I've ever listened to.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brahmsian

Listening again to the marvelous 1st symphony (Ashkenazy/RCO).

Oh how I love this symphony. For sure my favourite Rachmaninoff symphony and also my favourite work of his, period.

The coda of this symphony is so bloody fantastic, and even more so when witnessed in a live performance. I just saw someone online comment that the coda of this symphony reminded him of a large ocean liner sinking into the ocean.  :o I kinda like that!  :D

Benji

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 18, 2021, 07:33:41 AM

Oh how I love this symphony. For sure my favourite Rachmaninoff symphony and also my favourite work of his, period.

The coda of this symphony is so bloody fantastic, and even more so when witnessed in a live performance. I just saw someone online comment that the coda of this symphony reminded him of a large ocean liner sinking into the ocean.  :o I kinda like that!  :D

They should pair the work in concert with John Adams' Harmonielehre in the second half.

Sorry, very obscure joke ... Maybe someone will get it  :laugh:

Benji

I've been happily listening to a new recording of Respighi's orchestrations of the Etudes Tableaux on Spotify. It would be nice to have the liner notes to hand - I can't seem to find a decent answer online about how this came about.

I gather they were a commission and that Rachmaninov provided Respighi with some notes on his inspirations. I suppose my questions are why didn't Rach orchestrate them himself, and why was Respighi approached to orchestrate another successful living composer's work in 1930, which is 2 years after the completion of his successful Roman trilogy?

Not that it matters I'm just curious!

The first etude is excellent in the orchestration - very reminiscent of Isle of the Dead with the prominent dies irae motif.

relm1

Just yesterday I listened to the new Philadelphia recording of this work on DG, it's an excellent performance too.

vandermolen

+1
I listened to the fine old Ormandy performance the other day. The new DGG is on my wish-list.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2021, 04:19:26 AM
+1
I listened to the fine old Ormandy performance the other day. The new DGG is on my wish-list.

I would love to find the stereo Ormandy - Philadelphia recording of The Isle of the Dead !
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Roasted Swan

Just finished listening to the debut recital of Emre Yavuz.  Nothing if not brave he plays his own hybrid version of the Piano Sonata No.2 and the 10 Preludes Op.23.  Goodness me this is stunning provocative playing.  Pushing expressive and musical boundaries to the limit.  Very personal indeed, quite probably not to everyone's taste but I loved it!  Bravo Mr Yavuz.  A pounds the table, stands and cheers kind of disc!

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on February 19, 2021, 06:18:49 AM
Just yesterday I listened to the new Philadelphia recording of this work on DG, it's an excellent performance too.

+1 It's a great performance, not quite as "demonic" as some but still very exciting and beautifully played and recorded. Once again I'm awestruck by the ingenious motivic unity of the work. Rachmaninoff's subsequent works became more lushly romantic but not quite as tightly and succinctly written - just an observation, not a criticism!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

BasilValentine

More likely it is Anna Karenina crushed by a train and dragged into hell. Rachmaninoff had met Tolstoy and borrowed the epigram from the eponymous novel for the title page of the symphony.

BasilValentine

Quote from: Benji on February 18, 2021, 08:18:20 AM
I've been happily listening to a new recording of Respighi's orchestrations of the Etudes Tableaux on Spotify. It would be nice to have the liner notes to hand - I can't seem to find a decent answer online about how this came about.

I gather they were a commission and that Rachmaninov provided Respighi with some notes on his inspirations. I suppose my questions are why didn't Rach orchestrate them himself, and why was Respighi approached to orchestrate another successful living composer's work in 1930, which is 2 years after the completion of his successful Roman trilogy?

Not that it matters I'm just curious!

The first etude is excellent in the orchestration - very reminiscent of Isle of the Dead with the prominent dies irae motif.

I think Respighi's project was ill-conceived and executed. He picked some of the least appropriate etudes to orchestrate and he didn't do a very good job of it. Rachmaninoff was likely happy with the piano versions and would have realized that some of the ones Respighi picked were too pianistic to be worth orchestrating. Also, the Ricordi score and parts for these works are riddled with mistakes. I had to apend a week proof reading the materials for a performance by the Cincinnati Orchestra.

pjme

Quote from: Benji on February 18, 2021, 08:18:20 AM
I have that cd and can make a scan. I'll PM you later
It was Serge Koussevitsky   who commissioned the orchestrations and it was Rachmaninov himself who chose the 5 pieces.
In a letter to Respighi, Rachmaninov gives insight as to what inspired him:
Op.33/nr. 7: a scene at a fair (La foire)
Op39/nr 2: the sea and seagulls (La mer et les mouettes)
Op39/ nr 7: A funeral march (Marche funèbre)
Op39/ nr 6: inspired by a fairytale: Little red Riding Hood and the wolf (Le chaperon rouge et le loup)
Op39/nr 9: an oriental march / scene at a fair. (Marche)
Premiered in 1931, Boston SO / Koussevitsky

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on February 19, 2021, 06:18:49 AM
Totally agree - my No.1 recording of that work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

The ending is terrific, as if, having teetered on the brink of the abyss throughout much the symphony, Rachmaninov finally plunges headlong into it!

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
Rachmaninov 'The Bells' BBC Nat. Orch. of Wales (Otaka) from the 2019 Proms (came with BBC Music Magazine, Aug. 2021)
The coupling is very interesting as well - Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at  an Exhibition' orchestrated by Sir Henry Wood. This is my favourite orchestration - less sophisticated than Ravel's version but IMO, more authentically 'Russian' and closer to the spirit of the original. From my point of view I was also very interested in the feature of the composer Ruth Gipps in the magazine.