The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Sergei Rachmaninov (1873-1943)

<< < (99/117) > >>

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 04, 2021, 01:28:32 PM ---Yes, of course!  No, no, no!

I do like the few Svetlanov recordings that I've heard.  And I did hear him at a concert years ago which a friend and I both appreciated.  :)

PD

--- End quote ---

I still chuckle over the fact that the back cover of the classic Melodiya LP had, not Poe's original poem, but a functionary's attempt to re-translate Balmont's Russian translation back into English, with predictably absurd results.

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 04, 2021, 01:54:18 PM ---I still chuckle over the fact that the back cover of the classic Melodiya LP had, not Poe's original poem, but a functionary's attempt to re-translate Balmont's Russian translation back into English, with predictably absurd results.

--- End quote ---
Ouch!  Though I'm rather confused now.  So the original lyrics were from a Poe poem and translated into Russian?

PD

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 04, 2021, 02:04:42 PM ---Ouch!  Though I'm rather confused now.  So the original lyrics were from a Poe poem and translated into Russian?

PD

--- End quote ---

Aye, Rakhmaninov set Balmont's Russian translation of Poe.

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 04, 2021, 02:11:57 PM ---Aye, Rakhmaninov set Balmont's Russian translation of Poe.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the confirmation Karl!  :)

PD

Symphonic Addict:

This is the first recording ever that convinced me of the greatness of the Cello Sonata. Man, I was missing a gem!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version