Sergei Rachmaninov (1873-1943)

Started by Chaszz, December 10, 2009, 04:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Check out Tatiana Nikolayeva playing Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-sharp minor (1985)!!    0:)

https://www.youtube.com/v/2TQs7Ru2rRw
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

QuoteI've become quite obsessed with the 24 Preludes lately and have been mostly listening to the two recordings below (especially the Lympany one which I adore - I must have a crush on vintage sound). Which recordings do you seek out when the Preludes call your soul?

I wonder if that Ashkenazy is the same recording as here, which I have and generally enjoy (without anything to compare it to).

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 30, 2018, 11:19:26 PM
I wonder if that Ashkenazy is the same recording as here, which I have and generally enjoy (without anything to compare it to).

Hmm, Decca has certainly repackaged Ashkenazy a fair amount. The one I posted is the 1974-75 recording.  I have no idea how many times Ashkenazy has recorded the Preludes, but I have a feeling of that it is the same recording with a nicer cover!  :)  ( I like composers or art on the sleeves - silly me). Do you have a recording date?  :-\

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Madiel

I have this box

[asin]B0000041ML[/asin]

The Preludes are 1974-5 recordings.

It's well known by now that I don't tend to go seeking alternate versions of works, but that's even more the case with Ashkenazy's Rachmaninov which appears to be one of those things that is pretty well universally praised.  The last CD in the box, which has the op.39 Etudes-Tableaux and the 2-piano version of the Symphonic Dances, is one of my favourite classical discs.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Moonfish

Quote from: Madiel on May 31, 2018, 03:36:13 AM
I have this box

[asin]B0000041ML[/asin]

The Preludes are 1974-5 recordings.

It's well known by now that I don't tend to go seeking alternate versions of works, but that's even more the case with Ashkenazy's Rachmaninoff which appears to be one of those things that is pretty well universally praised.  The last CD in the box, which has the op.39 Etudes-Tableaux and the 2-piano version of the Symphonic Dances, is one of my favourite classical discs.

Ashkenazy seemingly gained quite a reputation with his 1974-75 recording of Rachmaninoff's Preludes! Jed Distler in Classics Today states "it's one of the finest recordings in this pianist's immense discography."    0:)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I would like to hear Waart's recordings of the symphonies....   OOP      :'(

EDIT:
However, there is this compilation...   0:)

[asin] B00000417J[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 30, 2018, 11:30:50 PM
Hmm, Decca has certainly repackaged Ashkenazy a fair amount. The one I posted is the 1974-75 recording.  I have no idea how many times Ashkenazy has recorded the Preludes, but I have a feeling of that it is the same recording with a nicer cover!  :)  ( I like composers or art on the sleeves - silly me). Do you have a recording date?  :-\

Same, the box was an early CD issue (as you can tell from the number if you are a Decca fan). It is a compilation of Preludes from '76 and the Sonata from '80. I don't remember being blown away by it, but I don't think I have listened to it since the 90's. Need to give it a spin.

It seems like Ashkenazy's star has fallen as a pianist. He recorded almost everything imaginable for Decca, but I don't seem much mention of him here. (Ironically, he seems more popular as a conductor.)

kyjo

Quote from: Moonfish on May 31, 2018, 08:36:08 AM
[asin] B00000417J[/asin]

A very fine set! It served as my introduction to the Rachmaninoff symphonies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Moonfish

Quote from: kyjo on May 31, 2018, 09:13:27 AM
A very fine set! It served as my introduction to the Rachmaninoff symphonies.

I was excited to find the "budget" version! Looking forward to hearing Waart's renditions!  :)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 31, 2018, 08:43:48 AM
Same, the box was an early CD issue (as you can tell from the number if you are a Decca fan). It is a compilation of Preludes from '76 and the Sonata from '80. I don't remember being blown away by it, but I don't think I have listened to it since the 90's. Need to give it a spin.

It seems like Ashkenazy's star has fallen as a pianist. He recorded almost everything imaginable for Decca, but I don't seem much mention of him here. (Ironically, he seems more popular as a conductor.)

True, Ashkenazy has had an interesting career. I'm impressed with his discography - hundreds of recordings  ???  - but definitely more in the realm as a conductor at this point. I actually like his early solo piano recordings quite a bit apart from that the sound occasionally is a bit metallic. Somehow I associate his name with Rachmaninoff.  The recording of the Preludes seems to have been his claim to fame, but I have memories of accolades in regards to his Chopin and Beethoven as well.
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Ok, I'm making this a Rachmaninoff day - a personal music festival!

Rachmaninoff: The Bells [Kolokola]
Troitskaya/Karczykowski/Krause
Chorus of the Concertgebouw Orchestra
Concertgebouw Orchestra
Ashkenazy

First time  :-[  - this is a great piece! Very!  Hmm, perhaps I will take a greater interest in Russian vocal music in the immediate future....   :)
It almost seems like a continuation of the tone poem 'Isle of the Dead' in an odd way. It has a similar mesmerizing rhythmic undertone that reverberates in the background. The voices bring a human template superimposed on the rhythm. Chaotic at times, but powerful. I like this quite a bit.
Hmm, now I need to dig up the texts so I know what they are singing.......

Any other excellent versions of 'The Bells' I should be aware of? Beloved performances?  I feel the strong urge to compare (I think that is a GMG trait)!

Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 31, 2018, 09:31:33 AM
True, Ashkenazy has had an interesting career. I'm impressed with his discography - hundreds of recordings  ???  - but definitely more in the realm as a conductor at this point. I actually like his early solo piano recordings quite a bit apart from that the sound occasionally is a bit metallic. Somehow I associate his name with Rachmaninov.  The recording of the Preludes seems to have been his claim to fame, but I have memories of accolades in regards to his Chopin and Beethoven as well.

I have nothing close to his full discography, but I find his Chopin almost universally outstanding. But I don't know his Beethoven (I seem to recall the Piano Sonatas not being reviewed well). His Bach, I didn't like much. I like his Scriabin Sonatas, and the Rachmaninoff.

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 31, 2018, 10:00:48 AM
I have nothing close to his full discography, but I find his Chopin almost universally outstanding. But I don't know his Beethoven (I seem to recall the Piano Sonatas not being reviewed well). His Bach, I didn't like much. I like his Scriabin Sonatas, and the Rachmaninoff.

I think it would be a feat to own his discography!!!  ???  Also, I don't think we want to go there. Better to accumulate the morsels and thoroughly enjoy them. Decca has published at least three mega compilations over the last five years (>50 cds in each box) so they are certainly pushing their Ashkenazy archive!!!
Hmm, I listened to Ashkenazy's recording of Bach's WTC the other day and I have to agree with you. It is good, but it doesn't stand out at all. A bit on the side of skilled and mechanical, but lacking the poetry. Besides, there is plenty of competition in the realm of the WTC. However, that is also true for Chopin. Perhaps a certain kind of temperament and skill are required with Bach?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

How do you folks like Mariss Jansons' Rachmaninoff recordings?   :-\
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 31, 2018, 10:09:02 AMHmm, I listened to Ashkenazy's recording of Bach's WTC the other day and I have to agree with you. It is good, but it doesn't stand out at all. A bit on the side of skilled and mechanical, but lacking the poetry. Besides, there is plenty of competition in the realm of the WTC. However, that is also true for Chopin. Perhaps a certain kind of temperament and skill are required with Bach?

In Bach I found his touch rather monotonous. I'd say he doesn't have the knack of varying articulation and differentiating voices with differences in articulation. He's in his element in 19th and 20th century piano music.

I sort of liked his playing in the Mozart Concerti, but I didn't think he handled the orchestra well - not enough snap.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 31, 2018, 10:14:16 AM
How do you folks like Mariss Jansons' Rachmaninov recordings?   :-\

The Russian orchestra gave it a certain flavor. No one seems to mention the Previn recordings, which are also fine.

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 31, 2018, 10:16:01 AM
In Bach I found his touch rather monotonous. I'd say he doesn't have the knack of varying articulation and differentiating voices with differences in articulation. He's in his element in 19th and 20th century piano music.

I sort of liked his playing in the Mozart Concerti, but I didn't think he handled the orchestra well - not enough snap.

I suspect this is why his recordings aren't prominent in the posts here at GMG? Well, I really, really like his Rachmaninoff Preludes. You have inspired me to revisit his Chopin one of these months. Today my mind is stuck in the Russian realm... :P
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

His Nocturnes are especially good (Arrau is still my favorite) and Ballades.

Moonfish

Rachmaninoff: Cello Sonata Op. 19                  Knushevitsky/Oborin

An older recording from 1962 with a tiny bit of vintage Russian sound (still fine though).  The sonata is a bit chaotic in my ears, but the slower inner movements are both intricate and charming. Not exactly my thing, but it grew on me as it progressed. Any fans of the cello sonata here?

from
https://www.youtube.com/v/eXegtTwDDys
Anna Lappé

George

Quote from: Moonfish on May 31, 2018, 10:14:16 AM
How do you folks like Mariss Jansons' Rachmaninov recordings?   :-\

His set of the concertos with Rudy is absolutely superb, in sound and performance!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure