Sergei Rachmaninov (1873-1943)

Started by Chaszz, December 10, 2009, 04:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: Dax on December 27, 2009, 10:43:08 AM
I'm glad someone has mentioned the D minor trio (er - 1893!) - there is a blindingly good performance by Kogan, Luzanov and Svetlanov on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcSLHyR7zBk

et seq

Quote from: Maciek on December 30, 2009, 07:53:52 AM
Dave, that trio is fantastic! Thanks! :D

If anyone is interested here are links for vbr mp3s (around 256) of that performance, Russian Disc CD is long out of print.

http://dl2.tempfile.ru/download/a4b78b914e895eb7ad89f36f1203f0d8
http://dl2.tempfile.ru/download/fa25d1fcc0713ea88b4b3e1087cf972a
http://dl3.tempfile.ru/download/78320f5fac6e91c10d141cb40368dff1

these are direct links to files (one per movement), should be valid till twenty-something January

karlhenning

Not through any fault of the composer's, that trio remains on my to-listen-to pile . . . .

Carolus

IMO you should investigate also his first piano trio. Not in the
same class that the second, but very good.

Maciek

Quote from: Drasko on December 31, 2009, 06:01:10 AM
If anyone is interested here are links for vbr mp3s (around 256) of that performance

Ha! I had actually already extracted the sound from the flvs, but this is much better! Thank you! 8)

schweitzeralan

Quote from: James on December 22, 2009, 05:44:00 AM
Word. He was a great pianist too.

To say the least.  He must have been a legendary performer.  All his piano works are complex and demanding in terms of performing.  Much, I'm sure, has been exhaustingly researched and acknowledged throughout the decades. Actually, I am a dabbler myself, and I brazenly enter the pianistic world of his amazing 1st Sonata. I'm aware of the complexities and nuances of his piano concertos, no need to  dwell on that here. I simply wanted to post my enthusiasm and profound appreciation  of the Sonata.   I think  it is a masterpiece.  The intense emotion, the rich harmonies, the romantic angst, the sensuous chromatic longings that pervade the work, all make for compelling listening,  at least on my part. I have one recording, namely the old LP Laredo performance, along with the Rach 2nd Sonata.
I acquired the CD some ten years ago, and there were not many recordings of the Sonatas.  I'm sure there must be several recently recordings of the Sonata.  Highly recommended.

rk

schweitzeralan

Quote from: James on January 01, 2010, 09:39:44 AM
Have you heard his own performance of the 3rd? Whoa...damn...that's sick.

My parents had a 78 album which contained the Rach performance of the 3rd.  It was a long time ago; unfortunately I don't recall details.  What I vaguely remember is that many sections of recent performances were then omitted, probably because of space. I'm sure Sergei was wonderful in performances of his works.

Carolus

On the preludes, my favorite is Richter, but he recorded only a few. For a complete version, I choose Alexis Weisenberg's. Big technique and plenty stamina. He only need a little more poetic flavour.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: James on January 01, 2010, 11:43:29 AM
He and Sviatoslav Richter (check out the disc I linked above) are the best in this music.

Richter is a wonderful performer.  The Russian culture excelled in  its music.  Not only for the well kn own; namely, Schostrakovich, Prokofiev, Rimsky, Scriabin, and the list goes on.  There were also fine composers during the first half of the 20th century who were then  primarily acknowledged as performing pianists.  I now own several works by them: Alexandrov, Feinbereg, Roslavets, Lourie, Krein, Protopopov, Stanchinsky. Gliere's 3rd is also a spectacular work, along with the tone poem, 'Sirens," a work I came to know thanks to this forum.

jochanaan

Quote from: schweitzeralan on January 01, 2010, 11:34:55 AM
My parents had a 78 album which contained the Rach performance of the 3rd.  It was a long time ago; unfortunately I don't recall details.  What I vaguely remember is that many sections of recent performances were then omitted, probably because of space. I'm sure Sergei was wonderful in performances of his works.
He was.  I've got a pair of CDs with SR playing the four concertos and Paganini Rhapsody.  Not only technically flawless but deeply musical and with superb tone even in the primitive recordings. :D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

abidoful

Quote from: Chaszz on December 10, 2009, 04:35:52 PM
Excuse me, but this composer seems to have a total of two or three self-pitying ideas which he recycles relentlessly and endlessly.
That could be considered also a good thing; he had some basic themes he worked and was interested.
I'm not sure what you mean by "ideas"? He's works are varied, it is not that he composed the same piece over and over again! He's major works are different from each other, he's structures, the forms and  the melodies.

I think you could divide he's output in to three stages;
- works composed before 1900 and before the mental problems (Aleko,concerto1, symphony 1, Trio op 9)
-works composed before the revolution (The Bells, operas "Francesca da Rimini" "The Miserly Knight", symphony 2, concertos 2&3, cello sonata, piano sonatas 1&2, Chopin-variations, piano preludes and etudes, songs)
-works composed after the revolution (concerto 4, symphony 3, Paganini Rhapsody, Corelli-variations)

So you can see that he was quite prolific before the revolution, but after- he composed only few works. And can you blame him since he had to divide he's time (composing-conducting-playing) to support he's family. And the revolution was itself very traumatic (i think he for instance stopped writing songs after that...?).

Though there is a notable preference to d-minor (Symphony 1, Trio op9, sonata 1, Isle of death) and the dies irae-chant  is looming around he was a rich in ideas- just look at he's miniatures, songs and piano etudes & preludes how varied they are!!

bhodges

Nice post here by Alex Ross, who went to visit Rachmaninoff's grave in Valhalla, NY. 

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: bhodges on August 16, 2010, 11:36:09 AM
Nice post here by Alex Ross, who went to visit Rachmaninoff's grave in Valhalla, NY. 

--Bruce

Thanks for the link, Bruce. I now have a town in New York I definitely want to live in. Valhalla  8)

"Here's a picture of the Valhalla fire department (insert your own jokes)" --Alex Ross

;D :D ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bhodges

Yes, that gave me quite a chuckle, too--both the town and the fire department joke invitation.  (OK, OK--I'm envisioning the truck rushing to a small cabin somewhere called "Götterdämmerung.")

PS, you may have heard about Ross's third book--the second one, Listen to This, will be out in the fall--called Wagnerism.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: bhodges on August 16, 2010, 11:50:28 AM
PS, you may have heard about Ross's third book--the second one, Listen to This, will be out in the fall--called Wagnerism.

I hadn't heard about it. Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I'll buy it. I love his style; loved The Rest Is Noise.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: bhodges on August 16, 2010, 11:36:09 AM

--Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

Dax

Incidentally, members should be aware of this version of the prelude op 23 no 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qacvEmY_1fc

jochanaan

Quote from: schweitzeralan on January 01, 2010, 11:34:55 AM
My parents had a 78 album which contained the Rach performance of the 3rd.  It was a long time ago; unfortunately I don't recall details.  What I vaguely remember is that many sections of recent performances were then omitted, probably because of space...
That may have been one reason, but by all reports Rachmaninoff became dissatisfied with the length and structure of his earlier works, and many of the cuts that you usually hear in recordings done before the 1960s were apparently sanctioned by him...
Imagination + discipline = creativity

abidoful

I dislike those cuts and modifications--sanctioned by him or not-- beware, the two versions of the 2nd sonata are two totally different pieces!

karlhenning