Main Menu

NFL Chat

Started by Brahmsian, December 13, 2009, 08:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek

I'm also a classical music nut and an NFL football fan. My team is the Seahawks, though I grew up rooting for the Patriots. Seattle is putting together a solid season, though I don't think they'll catch San Francisco in the NFC West.

Agreed that the Giants look better with Taylor at QB than Daniel Jones - their defense has been solid the last couple of weeks as well.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

ando

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 23, 2023, 08:21:24 AMMy team is the Seahawks, though I grew up rooting for the Patriots. Seattle is putting together a solid season, though I don't think they'll catch San Francisco in the NFC West.
Is this really a new and improved Geno Smith? Or are the parts around him just better than what he had in New York?

classicalgeek

Quote from: ando on October 23, 2023, 11:18:41 AMIs this really a new and improved Geno Smith? Or are the parts around him just better than what he had in New York?

It definitely doesn't hurt to have D.K. Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, and Kenneth Walker, but I think at least last year Geno was a vastly improved player. He has regressed a bit this year - he's good for one baffling turnover a game (on Sunday he underthrew his receiver, directly at a Cardinals defender - easy interception) - but on the whole he's still playing well. Maybe he's no longer playing with the pressure of being a high draft pick (though not a first-rounder) - not to mention he backed up some excellent QBs through the years (Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson), so maybe he learned something from them!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

ando

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 24, 2023, 08:57:38 AM- he's good for one baffling turnover a game (on Sunday he underthrew his receiver...
Not baffling to New York fans!  ;D

Still, I wish him and the Seahawks luck this year. Glad to see Lockett back, too.

vers la flamme

Ando, maybe you can explain to me WTF happened in that Jets/Giants game. Somehow, with their third ranked quarterback who apparently never learned how to throw, the Giants maintained a slim lead despite an atrocious offense for three quarters, only to lose it in the last second of regulation, and lose it all to a field goal in OT :laugh: Is this really NFL caliber play? (Good defense on display from both teams, I'll give them that.)

ando

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 30, 2023, 12:51:27 PMAndo, maybe you can explain to me WTF happened in that Jets/Giants game. Somehow, with their third ranked quarterback who apparently never learned how to throw, the Giants maintained a slim lead despite an atrocious offense for three quarters, only to lose it in the last second of regulation, and lose it all to a field goal in OT :laugh: Is this really NFL caliber play? (Good defense on display from both teams, I'll give them that.)
Nope. Except they're the Giants.  :laugh:
On paper it would seem to have been a drag of a game but it was surprisingly entertaining. Mind you, my focus wasn't completely on the game (had a few friends over) but the FG was something of an anti-climax after that last second raucous causing field goal tie. The question is: What was Gano smoking? Giants could have bagged it, otherwise.

vers la flamme

Quote from: ando on October 30, 2023, 06:34:16 PMNope. Except they're the Giants.  :laugh:
On paper it would seem to have been a drag of a game but it was surprisingly entertaining. Mind you, my focus wasn't completely on the game (had a few friends over) but the FG was something of an anti-climax after that last second raucous causing field goal tie. The question is: What was Gano smoking? Giants could have bagged it, otherwise.

I was entertained :laugh: but it seemed like such low quality play from both teams that I felt like I was watching a bad college game rather than NFL. (Other than great defense on both sides.)

Maestro267

We need to do some catchup from the dormant years of the thread.

- Hey Peyton got another ring!

- 28-3 lol

- That Patrick Mahomes guy could turn out good.

ando

Guess I'll check out the Thursday Night match tonight though I haven't watched a Steelers game since Big Ben hung 'em up. They host the Titans. NFL's selling it with TJ Watt as a headliner. Is the promise of great defensive play that much of a draw? It's been a minute  since I've seen the likes of the 2013 Seahawks.

ando

Steeltown QB, Pickett, was looking a bit shaky and the tandem with WR Johnson still needs work but the Steelers had nice momentum on that first drive leading to the Harris run into the endzone. 7-0, Steelers. The much hyped Titans D looked to be M.I.A. on that run.

ando

A Kwon Alexander pick (the sole game turnover) of Titans' rookie QB Will Levins' endzone pass ended Tennessee's possession and secured a 20-16 Steelers win. Characteristic Steelers victory in many ways. At least Pickett was finally able to connect with Diontae Johnson for a TD.

vers la flamme

I tuned into that game on Prime but stopped watching before that 4th quarter pick. Damn, crazy way to end a game. I liked the Steelers when I was a kid despite having no connection to Pittsburgh because I liked their logo and uniform colors, but that was my first time seeing them play in quite a while. I agree that it looks like their QB/WR connection needs work, but Pickett seems decent, unlike the quarterbacks for both NY teams that I've been watching lately. That first drive for the Steelers was definitely the best part of the game, as far as I saw.

Any games you're looking forward to this Sunday, Ando? Now that baseball is over it looks like I'll be paying a bit more attention to the NFL for the next few months ;D It's a great game, I don't know why I never got into it sooner.

ando

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 03, 2023, 07:43:18 AMI tuned into that game on Prime but stopped watching before that 4th quarter pick. Damn, crazy way to end a game. I liked the Steelers when I was a kid despite having no connection to Pittsburgh because I liked their logo and uniform colors, but that was my first time seeing them play in quite a while. I agree that it looks like their QB/WR connection needs work, but Pickett seems decent, unlike the quarterbacks for both NY teams that I've been watching lately. That first drive for the Steelers was definitely the best part of the game, as far as I saw.

Any games you're looking forward to this Sunday, Ando? Now that baseball is over it looks like I'll be paying a bit more attention to the NFL for the next few months ;D It's a great game, I don't know why I never got into it sooner.
Indeed, that first drive was deceptive - the rest of the game, for the most part, was a typical Steelers smash mouth affair. Yeah, I've always admired the Steelers since childhood, too; mostly because both my parents were rabid fans and we've got extended fam there.

As far as Sunday goes, barring something unforseen, I will NOT be up for that 9:30 am Chiefs-Dolphins match in Frankfurt. Will you? Pundits are lauding that match as the game of the week but the most exiting one for me will be the Seahawks-Ravens game at (the proper time  ;D ) 1pm, followed by my local interest/NFC East rivals Cowboys-Eagles and what should be an interesting Bills-Bengals Prime Time match. Bills have been my favorites for the last few seasons. Josh Allen's Mr. Wild Man performances have certainly kept me guessing.  :o  :D

ando

^^This is partly why I picked the Ravens-Seahawks match as a game to watch today though already these stats are old as Baltimore just put up another 7 vs. Seattle...

Did think Seattle would have more of an answer than 3 points against Baltimore.

ando

The Bears-Saints game showed early signs of a classic but Chicago QB, Tyson Bagent, has thrown 3 picks, Bears have had 4 turnovers and, naturally, Saints are leading 24-17 near the game's 2 minute mark. It was exiting in spots but clearly the Bears have issues. Too bad. Can't satnd Norlins.  ;D

Like the Cowboys even less. Philly-Dallas match starts in about a half hour. Should be a fun one.

ando

Philly on the first drive...

7-0, Eagles. Hope they can keep up the momentum.

ando

Fun one. Dallas came back with 14 and Philly answered with a 1 yd run in by QB, Jalen Hurts, who has the most running RDs in franchise history. 14-14, near end of 2nd. Should be an exiting 2nd half.

ando

Good to see Philly pull it out last night. May peek in on this one from time to time tonight (watching my Sixers):

vers la flamme

^I didn't get to watch that much hyped Cowboys-Eagles game as it wasn't carried on Sling nor could I watch it on any of my satellite channels, so I was stuck watching the Giants get their asses beat by the Raiders, including a season-ending injury to QB Daniel Jones in his first game back off another injury. Just what the Giants need ::) Now stuck with the rookie DeVito who doesn't know how to throw a pass for God knows how long, maybe the rest of the season. Be a miracle if they win another game.

The Jets didn't fare much better against the Chargers last night despite some very good defense. Another painful showing, though Chargers WR Derius Davis made a punt return TD that was fun to watch. I was surprised to see a handful of people rocking Chargers merch yesterday morning in Manhattan. Their fans definitely showed up for them even way out here on the east coast.

ando

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 07, 2023, 03:19:29 AMThe Jets didn't fare much better against the Chargers last night despite some very good defense. Another painful showing, though Chargers WR Derius Davis made a punt return TD that was fun to watch. I was surprised to see a handful of people rocking Chargers merch yesterday morning in Manhattan. Their fans definitely showed up for them even way out here on the east coast.
That sighting was cool. The sight of The Jets in the 3rd quarter (when I tuned in, didn't even bother w/the Giants) was not. Those were matches I didn't think would have any extended entertainment value. My Bills were even all over the place, handled, more or less, by the Bengals. The Bears-Saints game was fun. The Chiefs are gonna be the Chiefs but I like the Ravens from here to the playoffs.