Sofia Gubaidulina - new violin concerto

Started by dsch, April 09, 2007, 05:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsch

The renowned Lucerne Festival is dedicating itself to the subject of "Origin" in 2007. Sofia Gubaidulina has been invited here, too, and has composed a Violin Concerto for Anne-Sophie Mutter commissioned by the Paul Sacher Foundation. On 30 August 2007 Simon Rattle will direct the Berlin Philharmonic in the premiere of the work at the Concert House in Lucerne. The German premiere will follow on 6 September 2007 at the Berlin Philharmonie.

Anyone going to hear this concert live? I would give my right arm for that! ;D Do anyone know if this concert is going to be aired in the radio?

herz

Brahmsian

Just heard part of this work, In Tempus Praesens, concerto for violin & orchestra, last night on the French-Canadian Espaces Musique.  I thought it was a wonderful piece!

bhodges

Glad to hear that!  (Slightly embarrassed, since I've had the disc for months, but have only listened to the Bach violin concertos on it, which I liked.  Time to remedy!)

I have liked much of her work over the years, and am glad she's still around, writing.

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: bhodges on October 07, 2010, 11:37:41 AM
Glad to hear that!  (Slightly embarrassed, since I've had the disc for months, but have only listened to the Bach violin concertos on it, which I liked.  Time to remedy!)

I have liked much of her work over the years, and am glad she's still around, writing.

--Bruce

It's that recording that was played, Bruce (the one with Anne-Sophie Mutter).  Let me know what you thought of the piece.

As I was listening to it, not knowing who's work this was, I thought it had to be either Ligeti or Penderecki.  I have to admit, I'd never even heard of this composer until now!

Scion7

Born in Christopol - Tatar Republic - USSR (now the Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation) to a ethnic Russian mother and a Volga Tatar father.
She graduated in 1954 from the Kazan Conservatory. Studied in Moscow with Peyko and Shebalin.
Although she won the Stalin fellowship, her music was looked at as too modernist - however, Shostakovich supported her in her final examination, and encouraged her.
In the middle of the Seventies, she founded a folk-instrument improvisation group with fellow composers Victor Suslin and Vyacheslav Artyomov called Astreja.
Considered one of the most important Russian composers of the latter half of the 20th century, she has continued to compose in the 21st.

The earlier music is less bombastic than her later stuff - for example, the Piano Quintet (1957) - if a little derivative is a thoroughly successful piece.  This might be a place to start, and the listener can discard the works that have little appeal.

Chamber
=============================================

Piano Quintet, 1957
5 etyudov, harp, double-bass, perc, 1965
Vivente – non vivente, synth, tape, 1970
Concordanza, chbr ens, 1971
String Qt no.1, 1971
Muzïka dlya Klavesina i udarnïkh instringsumentov iz kollektsii Marka Pekarskogo [Music for Hpd and Perc from M. Pekarsky's Collection], 1972
Quattro, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, 1974
Rumore e silenzio, harpsichord/celeste, perc, 1974
Sonata, double-bass, piano, 1975
Misterioso, 7 perc, 1977
Tochki, linii i zigzagï [Dots, Lines and Zigzags], bass clarinet, piano, 1976
Trio, 3 trumpet, 1976
Duo-Sonata, 2 bassoon, 1977
Yubilyatsiya [Jubilation], 4 perc, 1979
In croce, cello, organ, 1979
Sad radosti i pechali (Garten von Freuden und Traurigkeiten) [Garden of Joy and Sadness] (Tanzer), spkr (ad lib), flute, viola, harp, 1980
Descensio, 3 trombones, 3 perc, harp, harpsichord/celeste, celeste/piano, 1981
Raduysya [Rejoice], sonata, violin, cello, 1981
Quasi hoquetus, bassoon, viola, piano, 1984
V nachale bïh ritm [In the Beginning there was Rhythm], 7 perc, 1984
String Qt no.2, 1987
String Qt no.3, 1987
String Trio, 1988
Silenzio, bayan, violin, cello, 1991
Chyot i nechet (Pari e dispari) [Even and Odd], 6 perc, harpsichord, 1991
Meditation über den Choral 'Vor deinen Thron tret ich hiermit' von J.S. Bach, harpsichord, 2 violins, viola, cello, double-bass, 1993
Rano utrom pered probuzhdeniyem [Early in the Morning Before Waking], 7 koto, 1993
String Qt no.4, with tape, 1993
Tantsovshchik na kanate [Dancer on a Tightrope], violin, piano, 1993
In Erwartung [In Anticipation], saxophone quartet, 6 perc, 1994
Quaternion, 4 cellos, 1996
Risonanza for three trumpets, four trombones, organ, and six strings (2001)
Reflections on the theme B-A-C-H for string quartet (2002)
Mirage: The Dancing Sun for eight violoncelli (2002)
On the Edge of Abyss for seven violoncelli and two waterphones (2002)
Verwandlung (Transformation) for trombone, saxophone quartet, violoncello, double bass, and tam-tam (2004)
The Lyre of Orpheus for violin, percussion, and strings (2006)
Ravvedimento for cello and quartet of guitars (2007)
Pentimento, an arrangement of 'Ravvedimento' for double-bass and three guitars (2007)
Repentance, an arrangement of 'Ravvedimento' for cello, double-bass and three guitars (2008)
Sotto voce, for viola, double-bass and two guitars (2010/2013)
Labyrinth, for 12 celli (2011)
So sei es, for violin, double-bass, piano, and percussion (2013)

Piano music
=================================================

Sonata for Piano, 1965
Percission Sonata, 1966
Org Sonata, 1969, rev. as Detto no.1, org, perc, 1978
10 etyudov (10 preludii), vc, 1974
Svetloye i tyomnoye [Light and Darkness], org, 1976
De profundis, bayan, 1978
Et ex-specto, sonata, bayan, 1986
Slïshish' li tï nas, Luidzhi, vot tanets, kotorïy stantsuyet dlya tebya obïknovennaya derevyannaya treshchotka [Do you Hear us, Luigi, This is the Dance that the Ordinary Wooden Rattle will Make for You], perc, 1991
Ritorno perpetuo, harpsichord, 1997

Orchestral
==========================================

Poema-skazka [Fairy-Tale Poem], 1971
Stupeni (Stufen) [Steps] (R.M. Rilke), speaking chorus, orch, 1972
Detto no.2, cello, inst ensemble, 1972
Conerto for Bassoon and low strings, 1975
Concerto for jazz band, orch, 1976 [after text by A. Fet]
Introitus, conc., piano, chamber orch, 1978
Te salutant, capriccio, 1978
Offertorium, conc., violin, orch, 1980, rev. 1982, rev. 1986
7 slov [7 Last Words], vc, bayan, str, 1982
Stimmen ... Verstummen ... sym., 12 movts, 1986
Pro et contra, 1989
And: The Feast is in Full Progress, vc, orch, 1993
Figurï vremeni (Zeitgestalten) [Figures of Time], 1994
Music for Flute, Strings and Percussion, 1994
Impromptu, flute, violin, string orchestra, 1996
Viola Concerto, 1996
The Rider on the White Horse for large orchestra and organ (2002)
The Light of the End (Свет конца) for large orchestra (2003)
Feast During a Plague for large orchestra (2006)
Under the Sign of Scorpio variants on six hexachords for bayan and large orchestra (2003)
...The Deceitful Face of Hope and Despair for flute and orchestra (2005)
In Tempus Praesens concerto for violin and orchestra (2007)
Glorious Percussion concerto for percussion and orchestra (2008)
Fachwerk, concerto for bayan, percussion and strings (2009)
Concerto for violin, cello and bayan (2017)

[asin]B00QFNAC2C[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."