Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

No CDCDCD for me. My ~900-disc collection has been "expanding" at a constant rate for about 15 years.  8)

(Maybe I have another disorder...)

vandermolen

So far, this year, I've only ordered two new CDs, Gliere's Third Symphony,(which, like Walton's First Symphony and Vaughan Williams's 6th Symphony I'm slightly obsessed with having every recording available - not that I'm a compulsive personality-type you understand) and the new recording of Shchedrin's Cello Concerto and the Seagull Suite. Amazon owed me a refund for a returned kitchen utensil, so it seemed fair enough to put it towards the Gliere's CD.
>:D
PS the Lyatoshynsky Third Symphony and Antheil symphonies on Chandos were ordered last year so they don't count.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

I got the EMI/WARNER De Larrocha Box I had ordered late in 2018 which I don't count as obsessive or uncontrolled as most of the music was new in my collection and it had been on my list for quite a while.
But I "failed" already last week when ordering a DVD for my nephew's birthday in february I got three CDs for me... But I am happy with them. I got Repin/Gergiev mainly for the Myaskovsky concerto but their Tchaikovsky must be among the most gripping I have heard (it's a piece I never liked all that much but this live recording really grabbed me.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

aligreto

Quote from: Jo498 on January 19, 2019, 01:22:14 AM
I got the EMI/WARNER De Larrocha Box I had ordered late in 2018 which I don't count as obsessive or uncontrolled as most of the music was new in my collection and it had been on my list for quite a while.
But I "failed" already last week when ordering a DVD for my nephew's birthday in february I got three CDs for me... But I am happy with them. I got Repin/Gergiev mainly for the Myaskovsky concerto but their Tchaikovsky must be among the most gripping I have heard (it's a piece I never liked all that much but this live recording really grabbed me.)

I remember marvelling at how wonderful that CD was when I first heard it. Both concertos are given superb performances.

Mookalafalas

I have actually sold $1175 worth of CDs on Ebay recently  :-\  It's a nice change of pace.
It's all good...

Jo498

Interesting, I thought selling except for a few pennies had become almost impossible.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

Taking stock of how much music I've downloaded/ordered/bought/stolen but have yet to even add to my library and it's currently 218 GB; assuming 0.3 GB = approximately one CD worth of music that's the equivalent of over 700 CDs. That plus the approximately 520 GB (~1700 CDs) of music I've tagged and added to my library but have yet to listen to, out of a total library of about 2.46 TB (~8000 CDs).

Obviously you can never have too much, etc, but I think I've been past the saturation point for a while.

PerfectWagnerite

I have not purchased a cd in 5 monthis so I am doing good :D

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Jo498 on January 20, 2019, 12:09:18 AM
Interesting, I thought selling except for a few pennies had become almost impossible.

I have just sold a few box sets that are now OOP. I sold all of them for more than what I bought them for, but after shipping and fees probably just broke even.
It's all good...

Mirror Image

My CD buying has decreased a good bit. I certainly don't buy as much as I used to, but I'm now only filling in gaps and finding unknown repertoire that I'm interested in having in my collection. Thank goodness for YouTube, Spotify, etc. as I use them to sample different recordings and performances. If they weren't there, I would most definitely be stabbing my way through the dark.

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2019, 12:26:04 AM

PS the Lyatoshynsky Third Symphony and Antheil symphonies on Chandos were ordered last year so they don't count.
8)
You may not know this but... if you put them in the shopping cart last year without clicking "ORDER" and order them this year, it doesn't count either.
(At least that is my interpretation. I have a few in carts at Amazon, JPC, Presto... )
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

For those who have vowed to not purchase CDs this year but still have the itch, you can help each other out this way: Order for others (thus they are "gift purchases" and go into a different budget entirely) and the other person would reciprocate. This way, everyone gets their CD without purchasing a single CD for themselves!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: springrite on January 21, 2019, 09:27:11 PM
For those who have vowed to not purchase CDs this year but still have the itch, you can help each other out this way: Order for others (thus they are "gift purchases" and go into a different budget entirely) and the other person would reciprocate. This way, everyone gets their CD without purchasing a single CD for themselves!

With genius thinking like that you should be Trump's treasury secretary. :)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Trump on the phone with Xi Jinping, President of the People's Republic of China

Trump:

Hey Xi, I got a deal for you. It says here I'm allowed to build five aircraft carriers. How 'bout I build them, but they get "lost" in the South China Sea, and you guys budget $5.6 billion for rebuilding your "Great Wall" but by some mixup, you end up building a big beautiful wall across our border with Mexico? Or maybe metal slats.

Xi Jinping:

(overheard) Is this supposed to be a joke? There is some sort of mentally deranged dotard on the line.

Ken B

Quote from: springrite on January 21, 2019, 09:27:11 PM
Strangers on a Train

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on January 21, 2019, 10:43:33 PM
Strangers on a Train

Yes, and we all know what happened at the end of 'Strangers on a Train'!
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 21, 2019, 06:53:55 PM
I certainly don't buy as much as I used to, but I'm now only filling in gaps and finding unknown repertoire that I'm interested in having in my collection.

I recognise myself in this. Last year I purchased 38 CDs of which 16 are classical music. That's 1.33.. classical CDs per month. There has been time when I bough a classical CD every week (on average)!

Sometimes I feel buying new CDs has been an excuse for not having to listen to the previous purchases. ::) I have started to look at my collection asking myself why don't I listen to those hundreds and hundreds of CDs? Why don't I listen to my 8 CD set of Boccherini symphonies? Why don't I listen to the Naxos Buxtehude discs? What keeps me from listening to Beethoven's string quartets? How about my Ligeti discs? Better learn to listen to those rather than buying new CDs to be ignored. How many CDs do I need collecting dust? It's time to wake up and realize I have a large collection of classical (and other) music.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Ken B

I moved some months back, and just fetched the CDs a week ago. Unboxing today. Oyveh.
And this after having sold and donated hundreds ...

I hope I am cured! It has been 17 months since my last drink CD purchase.

Alek Hidell

I had been doing pretty well, not buying anything and starting to (very slowly) make a dent in my unlistened-to music. But now I'm waiting on two more CDs from an Amazon seller (already received four from them), plus good-sized orders from ArkivMusic, JPC, and the Discogs marketplace. ::)

I feel like Michael Corleone in Godfather III: every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

NikF4

I only buy what's going to be consumed more or less immediately. That's about it. But purchasing music is only part of it.

I wake in the morning knowing I can more or less do anything I want but not everything I want. It's a case of accepting it and not overindulging or binging in any interest or pursuit, although it never stops me burning the candle at both ends. Just now I read about some actor who died and was only a couple of years younger than I am - the hell with that. Really, bollocks to that crap.
But being a consumer is just one half of it, because I feel there's a need for balance. So in the other direction there's photography, there's writing (with an actual real life professional writer) and all manner of physical activities.

Having said all that, I've just ordered the Kitajenko/GOK Prokofiev cycle which will be waiting in an Amazon locker until whenever I get home again.  :laugh: