Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Moonfish on September 15, 2019, 03:12:55 PM
It is indeed a first world problem. Even if we listened 24/7 for two decades we wouldn't finish. However, isn't the explanation that we are building a library to browse at our leisure?  That makes me feel better.....    0:)

Yes, that's what I tell myself. I don't always convince myself, though.  >:( :D
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on September 15, 2019, 01:26:38 PM
Finally completed my boxes (moved upstairs) so now my living room looks almost normal!   ::)

How is your Paillard thinking going? And what are your thoughts about the current Beethoven mania (box frenzy). Clearly all of us have nuuuuumerous versions of almost everything apart from a few unusual works.  I guess we will all listen to Beethoven 24/7 in 2020?
No LvB for me. I've tons, and most of it very good. For a comprehensive set, I love the Sony box, which I got for a song. Excluding that, I could probably play a different disk a day for his whole Birthday year...
   Regarding Paillard, I expect it to go the way of the Cluytens---very, very cheap (eventually). When it's $80-90, I'll think seriously about biting.  I've developed patience in my old age 8)
It's all good...

71 dB

So I bought this Naxos Telemann CD. Great CD. Cheap. Great purchase!

Next I went through my CD collection to see what Telemann I have. I was reminded how everytime I go through my collection I find many CDs I have forgotten altogether. I have this? Wow! I have this too? Great! I feel I need to revisit all of these discs rather than buy new stuff.

That's my solution to CDCDCD: Go through your collection and make surprising discoveries.  8)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on October 11, 2020, 12:57:50 PM
So I bought this Naxos Telemann CD. Great CD. Cheap. Great purchase!

Next I went through my CD collection to see what Telemann I have. I was reminded how everytime I go through my collection I find many CDs I have forgotten altogether. I have this? Wow! I have this too? Great! I feel I need to revisit all of these discs rather than buy new stuff.

That's my solution to CDCDCD: Go through your collection and make surprising discoveries.  8)

Indeed. Sometimes I find several copies of the same CD. ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2020, 11:47:18 PM
Indeed. Sometimes I find several copies of the same CD. ::)

At least it shows consistent taste!  :D

Q

Jo498

I think I only once accidentally bought a disc twice but even for that one I have the excuse that one was part of a twofer and on a different label (it was two Beethoven quartets with the Artemis that had appeared very early on some other label). I came close to buying stuff I already had several times but fortunately checked my shelves beforehand. And of course I bought a few things twice or more knowingly because of new remasterings or more economic boxes etc.
However, the most puzzling occasions are when I had really forgotten that I had bought something and was genuinely surprised discovering it on my shelves, this happened e.g. with the Beethoven violin sonatas with Cerovsek/Jumppanen. It has also happened once or twice that I was pretty sure I had bought a certain disc but it had remained in the planning stage and I never got around actually buying it.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Quote from: 71 dB on October 11, 2020, 12:57:50 PM
That's what I decided to do starting yesterday. I started yesterday morning at Z for Zemlinsky and am working backwards through my collection, just pulling out the CDs where I think either "wow, haven't heard that in a long time" or "have never heard that" or "wait, I own this??"

Halfway through day 2, very much enjoying rediscovering Carl Maria von Weber.

71 dB

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2020, 08:45:13 AM
That's what I decided to do starting yesterday. I started yesterday morning at Z for Zemlinsky and am working backwards through my collection, just pulling out the CDs where I think either "wow, haven't heard that in a long time" or "have never heard that" or "wait, I own this??"

Halfway through day 2, very much enjoying rediscovering Carl Maria von Weber.

Yeah. I am surprised about how many "wait, I own this?" CDs I own! I listen to music much less these days I used to, because especially Youtube robs so much of my time: Oh, new math video by Michael Penn! Oh, Aleksi Himself is streaming (and burping  ;D ) in Turku! Oh, the teaser trailer of Spielberg's 'West Side Story' is finally released (looks amazing btw! 8) ). Oh, these American have tasted Finnish candies! Oh, The Proper People have explored abandoned asylum! Oh, new Mathologer video! Oh, new Dead Mall video by Dan Bell! Don't even start with all the fox and capybara videos! I don't know how many Youtube channels I watch, but it is so many that I can practically watch Youtube ALL THE TIME! What they show on TV these days is almost completely repulsive crap, but on Youtube there is insane cornucopia of stuff I like!  :o

So, I struggle to find time for music listening and when I do listen to music, it is rarely classical music. This means finding "wait, I own this??" CDs serves my quite well and this year I have bought so far only two classical CDs: One Elgar and one Silvestrov. It was so different 10 years ago when I was practically HOARDING classical music.

I haven't had CDCDCD for years. Youtube cured me, but now I am a Youtube junkie!  ???

steve ridgway

I haven't suffered from CDCDCD with Classical music, it's not like Rock where there's only one original and genuine recording which leaves a glaring gap in the collection if not obtained. As for listening to my collection, I've currently organised it all by year of composition and just play it through in sequence, deleting the odd work I really can't stand.

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 04, 2021, 10:29:30 PM
it's not like Rock where there's only one original and genuine recording which leaves a glaring gap in the collection if not obtained.

Then again rock bands rarely are nearly as prolific as classical music composers... ...so there is much less to obtain in the first place!

Of all my non-classical favorites, only Tangerine Dream has more music than Elgar for example and that's only because Tangerine Dream are insanely prolific. Many of my favorite non-classical artists only have a few hours of music.

steve ridgway

Yes, it's very rare to find a rock band with more than half a dozen good albums. I was very surprised at the length of classical composers' productive careers but I guess that's the long training paying off.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 04, 2021, 10:29:30 PM
I haven't suffered from CDCDCD with Classical music, it's not like Rock where there's only one original and genuine recording which leaves a glaring gap in the collection if not obtained. As for listening to my collection, I've currently organised it all by year of composition and just play it through in sequence, deleting the odd work I really can't stand.
If you have more than one composition on it though, or if it's a set--even a small one--what do you do then?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 06, 2021, 03:26:41 AM
If you have more than one composition on it though, or if it's a set--even a small one--what do you do then?

It's in files on a music player and if there are different recordings of the same work the movements of one have 001, 002 suffixes and the next 101, 102 etc. and I pick one of them to play on that cycle through. I use the Genre tag to hold the year then navigate the files by Genre.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 06, 2021, 08:38:29 AM
It's in files on a music player and if there are different recordings of the same work the movements of one have 001, 002 suffixes and the next 101, 102 etc. and I pick one of them to play on that cycle through. I use the Genre tag to hold the year then navigate the files by Genre.
Ah!  O.k. that makes sense now.  I did once know someone who filed physical CDs by year.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

springrite

I only bought the BPO Bruckner Box last year, and I have no plan to buy anything this year.

I seem cured.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

MusicTurner

Sounds good. Also, one can get a long way with Bruckner. I knew a major collector, who said that in essence, one could have a classical music collection of 1) Bruckner symphonies 2) Mozart piano concertos - and that would be enough.

Papy Oli

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 07, 2022, 11:19:03 PM
"Eilon Paz's photographs of vinyl obsessives – in pictures"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2015/feb/22/eilon-pazs-photographs-vinyl-dust-and-grooves-record-collectors

I looked at some of the pictures, torn between an element of envy and a strong urge for tidying some rooms up... :blank: :laugh: 
Olivier

MusicTurner

At least we don't own 250,000 pairs of glasses or 135,000 LPs/CDs, like Elton John apparently now does (because he sold his first big LP collection in 1990):

"The strange obsessions of celebrity collectors"
https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/775972/celebrity-collections-sylvester-stallone-rare-books-elton-john-angelina-jolie-johnny-depp

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/latest-news/elton-john-owns-over-130000-vinyl-records-and-cds