Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

I am not sure I get the joke? Jeffrey is keeping no order at all among the CDs or an elaborate order so intransparent that an "outsider" cannot quickly check if a certain disc is present or not?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

steve ridgway


vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 05, 2022, 04:03:27 AM
I don't think he was a science teacher. ;)
Spot on Steve. I teach History and History of Art!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

staxomega

I'd like to apply to this support group, maybe the first step to recovery is taking a photo of one of my music storage rooms/speaker graveyard  ;D

Mookalafalas

Quote from: hvbias on May 06, 2022, 05:51:45 AM
I'd like to apply to this support group, maybe the first step to recovery is taking a photo of one of my music storage rooms/speaker graveyard  ;D
Please do! ;D
It's all good...

Mirror Image

I've really got to stop, but I keep finding stuff I want! Best thing to do is stay off Amazon, JPC, Presto Classical, Discogs and eBay. I drool every time I'm on Presto Classical's site or browsing the BIS store. Anyway, this sounds like a good plan, but, of course, I'd have to use Amazon to buy some things like dog treats and snacks, but if I could just keep only to these things and not CDs, I'd be better off.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

My "Top 5" Favorite Composers: Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius and Bartók


71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 06, 2022, 10:55:20 AM
I've really got to stop, but I keep finding stuff I want!

That's the problem with classical music. It never ends! The only non-classical music that gives the same feeling of endlessness is Tangerine Dream. The lifetime output of a typical non-classical artists, say Carly Simon, is so limited in comparison! I have noticed that whenever I discover a new non-classical artist I really like, I can usually collect most if not all of the releases of that artist in question within in a few weeks and say to myself: "That's it? No more to collect?" When I got into classical music 25 years ago I had no clue what I was getting into. Maybe I thought a collection of 100 classical CDs would be enough. How silly!  ;D

More than money, the limiting factor is increasingly time. When am I going to listen to my collection?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2022, 11:34:28 AM
That's the problem with classical music. It never ends! The only non-classical music that gives the same feeling of endlessness is Tangerine Dream. The lifetime output of a typical non-classical artists, say Carly Simon, is so limited in comparison! I have noticed that whenever I discover a new non-classical artist I really like, I can usually collect most if not all of the releases of that artist in question within in a few weeks and say to myself: "That's it? No more to collect?" When I got into classical music 25 years ago I had no clue what I was getting into. Maybe I thought a collection of 100 classical CDs would be enough. How silly!  ;D

More than money, the limiting factor is increasingly time. When am I going to listen to my collection?

Indeed. This gives you an idea of how vast classical music is and even in a roughly 200 year range (19th through 20th Centuries which is what I favor), there's just SO MUCH! And, yes, with popular music (rock, jazz, etc.) there is a limit unless they find more unheard tapes in the Miles Davis vault. :P
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

My "Top 5" Favorite Composers: Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius and Bartók


vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2022, 11:34:28 AM
That's the problem with classical music. It never ends! The only non-classical music that gives the same feeling of endlessness is Tangerine Dream. The lifetime output of a typical non-classical artists, say Carly Simon, is so limited in comparison! I have noticed that whenever I discover a new non-classical artist I really like, I can usually collect most if not all of the releases of that artist in question within in a few weeks and say to myself: "That's it? No more to collect?" When I got into classical music 25 years ago I had no clue what I was getting into. Maybe I thought a collection of 100 classical CDs would be enough. How silly!  ;D

More than money, the limiting factor is increasingly time. When am I going to listen to my collection?
Very wise.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2022, 12:16:48 PM
Spot on Steve. I teach History and History of Art!
But that's even less of an excuse for failure at sorting and cataloguing! ;)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mookalafalas

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2022, 11:34:28 AM
That's the problem with classical music. It never ends!

   I agree. This is the most frustrating thing. I've been into classical music for about 10 years. If I browse this site, I can literally stumble over an "excellent" composer, soloist (Piano, violin, cello, flute, bassoon, harpsichord, harp, accordion, etc. etc), conductor, singer, I'd never heard of in my life EVERY DAY. There is no great "classic era" rock or jazz band I've never heard of. I can look at pretty much any 50s-60s era jazz album, browse the players (drummer, bassist, etc.) and have a passing knowledge of virtually every name. But with classical, it's insane. There are a dozen "serious" new disks coming out every day, and the back catalog might as well be infinite.
It's all good...

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on May 06, 2022, 11:48:05 PM
But that's even less of an excuse for failure at sorting and cataloguing! ;)
Good point!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: Jo498 on May 05, 2022, 12:22:04 AM
I am not sure I get the joke? Jeffrey is keeping no order at all among the CDs or an elaborate order so intransparent that an "outsider" cannot quickly check if a certain disc is present or not?

I have never seen the point (or value) of ordering alphabetically - I have so many 'mixed' albums it would be impossible. My LPs are stored in chronological order (more or less); my much larger collection of CD is in an elaborate order I won't even try to explain. It is not perfect but I am too committed to it to try and change it. I know where everything is, more or less, though I have just spent two days looking for a disc of Schubert quartets - it wasn't where it should be.

I have to confess that my digital downloads are in alphabetical order but that is imposed on me by my PC and choice of storage method; I also have far fewer downloads than CDs.

Que

Quote from: Biffo on May 07, 2022, 02:21:28 AM
I have never seen the point (or value) of ordering alphabetically - I have so many 'mixed' albums it would be impossible. My LPs are stored in chronological order (more or less); my much larger collection of CD is in an elaborate order I won't even try to explain. It is not perfect but I am too committed to it to try and change it. I know where everything is, more or less, though I have just spent two days looking for a disc of Schubert quartets - it wasn't where it should be.

I have to confess that my digital downloads are in alphabetical order but that is imposed on me by my PC and choice of storage method; I also have far fewer downloads than CDs.

I started out with alphabetical order on composer, plus a section of mixed/recital discs on type (orchestral/instrumental/vocal on conductor/performer). As my collection grew, I subdivided the composers section into periods.

I hate when something is not where it is supposed to be!  ???  Rarely ever hapens though...

Jo498

I switched to chronological order although most boxes/anthologies dedicated to artists and some others are stored in a different shelf. However, I think I found stuff more quickly when it was alphabetical. Because of some lesser known composers I don't know the birth year by heart.
The advantage of chronological is in fact that some anthologies like "Courtly Love", "Sonatas from Dresden" etc. can be put in there. But it's difficult with other anthologies. The other advantage but that's not important to me is that Tchaikovsky, Tschaikowskij, Chaikovski etc. are no problem with chronological order.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Verena

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 06, 2022, 10:55:20 AM
I've really got to stop, but I keep finding stuff I want! Best thing to do is stay off Amazon, JPC, Presto Classical, Discogs and eBay. I drool every time I'm on Presto Classical's site or browsing the BIS store. Anyway, this sounds like a good plan, but, of course, I'd have to use Amazon to buy some things like dog treats and snacks, but if I could just keep only to these things and not CDs, I'd be better off.

Maybe an incentive for dog lovers (including myself): Imagine we didn't buy any CDs, downloads, etc. any longer. We could use the money for buying another dog or two. Sounds like a brilliant idea, doesn't it? I only have a small dog, but I'm dreaming of a whole pack of all sizes (10 at the least  8) ::) ::)).