Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Quote from: Greg on December 18, 2009, 12:01:47 PM
I don't spend money on CDs, so I don't have to worry. (I don't have money in the first place, so that's probably why).

Do you sail the pirate seas?

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

secondwind

I can see that I'm not qualified to join this club.  I mean, I thought I had a cd problem, but compared to you guys, I'm strictly amateur.  Bush league.  Downright wimpy. 

But that's probably just because my compulsive collecting habit is focused on books.   ;D  Come to think of it, maybe I should switch to cds. . .they take up less space!

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Sforzando on December 18, 2009, 10:27:30 AM
How much have all of you saved for retirement?

I'm working on it. I buy compulsively, knowing full well I don't have time to listen to half a tenth of all I buy. So, I've come to think of The Collection as my investment for retirement. I'm investing in booking myself long listening schedules. What's the use of having money if you all you do is spend the free hours at the mall? ;)

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: snyprrr on December 18, 2009, 09:43:37 AM
Oh, this is Pathetic!!!
I only HAVE about 500 cds

Same here. 500 unopened/unlistened to discs, neatly stacked in two IKEA towers  ???.

QuoteQUESTION: Does anyone out there believe that God is "against" their record collection?

The guilt.... :'(

Elgarian

Quote from: secondwind on December 18, 2009, 01:30:18 PM
But that's probably just because my compulsive collecting habit is focused on books.   ;D  Come to think of it, maybe I should switch to cds. . .they take up less space!

Why be so half-hearted? Do both. It's the only way, believe me.

secondwind

Quote from: Elgarian on December 19, 2009, 12:50:09 AM
Why be so half-hearted? Do both. It's the only way, believe me.
More books AND more cds?  Then I'd need a bigger house, or an addition to this house, just to have somewhere to put them.  And that would cost a lot of money, and then I wouldn't have any money for more books and more cds. . . you can see the bind I'm in.

MN Dave

I've cut back on this stuff. Now I need to cut back on the Internet.  ;D

Szykneij

Quote from: Sforzando on December 18, 2009, 10:27:30 AM
How much have all of you saved for retirement?

Having made an exhaustive study of the tensile strength and insulating properties of CDs and their jewel cases, I have determined I can retire into a home built entirely of my CD collection to spend the rest of my years listening to my walls.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

secondwind

Quote from: Szykniej on December 19, 2009, 05:53:10 AM
Having made an exhaustive study of the tensile strength and insulating properties of CDs and their jewel cases, I have determined I can retire into a home built entirely of my CD collection to spend the rest of my years listening to my walls.
Brilliant! 8)

Elgarian

Quote from: secondwind on December 19, 2009, 05:07:31 AM
you can see the bind I'm in.
You mean the bind we're in, SW. The book and CD storage situation here is now critical...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Elgarian on December 19, 2009, 05:57:36 AM
You mean the bind we're in, SW. The book and CD storage situation here is now critical...

Same situation here. My bookshelves have long since been filled (new books are lying in stacks on the floor). My music room is exhausted too. I just acquired my eleventh Ring and have no place to put it. My recent CD purchases are stacked on my computer desk now. Six stacks, each eight to nine inches high. I'm having trouble seeing the monitor screen  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

snyprrr

This is so funny.

The mailman's truck got stuck in the snow at the mail-complex just before ours in the circle. I wanted to break into his truck and look for my cds!

snyprrr

I thought I had put a cork in last year. I pretty much finished up my "pre-1800 SQs" Project,... or so I thought.

I was so sure,...

I had all the leftovers neatly compartmentalized,... just a couple of avant-garde things over here, a couple of mid-century things over there, and a few pre-1800 stragglers.

And then things started not coming in, or just getting cancelled by the seller,... or me. The beads of sweat began to drop. I needed to feel that familiar feel of a package in the mailbox. Hyperventilating, ...need stuff... ahh,...

ok, so I reordered one thing that had gotten cancelled. Does that really break my "take-a-little-time-off-from-buying-cds-in-2010" deal I made with myself? It doesn't, does it? ???

But there's this cd,...it's ONLY $8 for a 2 disc set :-* :-* :-* What should I do? Will I be able to JUST GET ONE??

oh, I know someone out there can feel my pain. Is there anyone RIGHT NOW who is experiencing the "2010 Challenge"? How long do you think you will last?

Bulldog

I don't know about you sorry folks, but my situation is entirely different.  God told me to go forth and acquire many thousands of classical recordings.  When God speaks, the Bulldog moves into action. 

Elgarian

Quote from: Bulldog on January 25, 2010, 09:55:58 AM
I don't know about you sorry folks, but my situation is entirely different.  God told me to go forth and acquire many thousands of classical recordings.  When God speaks, the Bulldog moves into action.

Very laudable. It's clear where your duty lies. My motives too are entirely altruistic. With the current financial climate in the UK, it's a civil obligation for me to help to get the country back on track by buying more CDs and stimulating the economy. Believe me, if we weren't in such a mess, I wouldn't be buying half so many. No, Sir.

Brian

Quote from: snyprrr on January 25, 2010, 09:46:35 AM
oh, I know someone out there can feel my pain. Is there anyone RIGHT NOW who is experiencing the "2010 Challenge"? How long do you think you will last?

I was planning not to buy any CDs at all in 2010. Then Abeille Musique's giant clearance sale happened and I bought 165 CDs for $155; it was too good to pass up. (85% off discount on the Hyperion Chopin edition! 75% off the Brilliant 100CD Russian Legends box!)

Total expenditures on CDs in 2009...$910
427 Jan-Apr/164 May-Aug/319 Aug-Dec

Now, obviously, that is a TERRIBLE amount of money for a broke college student to spend on music. My plan was to go cold turkey this year, but Abeille Musique tempted me too strongly (and they might yet tempt me again with that Brendel box). But the price of the Abeille thing - combined with the fact that there will be so many new CDs to listen to - means I am hoping to cap my 2010 CD expenditures to $300.
$190...Abeille Musique (incl. previous purchase)
$15...Paavo Jarvi's Beethoven Ninth
$15...Alexandre Tharaud's new Chopin album
$15...Mackerras's Dvorak 7 and 8 (Philharmonia) OR tone poems (Czech Phil)
$24...for three Naxos CDs
$40...other stuff

It'll be tough. But I can't spend $900 on music again until I have a full-time salaried source of income.

Bulldog

Quote from: Elgarian on January 25, 2010, 12:58:09 PM
Very laudable. It's clear where your duty lies. My motives too are entirely altruistic.

Yes, we give and sacrifice every day without ever receiving a "thank you". :)