Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2009, 06:22:48 AM
Same situation here. My bookshelves have long since been filled (new books are lying in stacks on the floor). My music room is exhausted too. I just acquired my eleventh Ring and have no place to put it. My recent CD purchases are stacked on my computer desk now. Six stacks, each eight to nine inches high. I'm having trouble seeing the monitor screen  ;D

Well, Sarge & I (and probably other GMGers) are in the same situation! LOL!  ;D

The last few months, I've moved my Big Swing Band, New Age, & Celtic Music Collections to my 'computer room' (a converted bedroom, which already contains my POP, Cajun, etc. music); however these additions are on the floor stacked up to 3-4 ft!  My next plan is to get back to my woodworking and build a 'new' corner project (not sure of the design at the moment) that will contain not only these transfers but future ones!  This is a never ending process -  ;) :D

greg

Wow! I didn't know 11 Ring cycles even existed...  :o
It does sound possible, but some would have to be pretty obscure, I bet.
What's the list?  ;D

Elgarian

Quote from: Bulldog on January 25, 2010, 01:48:18 PM
Yes, we give and sacrifice every day without ever receiving a "thank you". :)

Let me address that problem immediately. On behalf of humankind, I thank you, Sir, for your tireless endeavours on your noble and inspired mission.

Harry

I started to address this problem in the beginning of 2009, after buying more than 1100 Cd's in 2008. I bought 129 Cd's in 2009, most of them budget-priced, a few full-price because I simply wanted them. In 2010 so far I bought 14 Cd's again most of them budget-priced, with the resolve to buy only that, and only in very special circumstances full priced Cd's. At the moment I still have to listen to about 100 Cd's, unopened.
The good thing is, that there are not many releases that interest me, apart from Hamerik which I bought, and Langgaard which is in the pipeline as soon as I find a better price as 65,- euro's.
So yeah I pretty much handled the problem, so I am mildly addicted these days. Have so much music to listen already.

snyprrr

I'm counting @70 cds in 2009 (incl. 2sets and 3-4sets as one; otherwise more like 100). This includes my entire pre-1800SQ collection (began in May), and mostly postwar avant SQs.

That's not so bad, I think. Most were in the "used" category. Many were gotten for under $5. I am NOT counting shipping in total expends, haha!

Thankfully, once I come to my senses, I can actually start to PLAY music again,...for a change!

btw- I did just gratuitously buy that $8 2-fer. Technically, the first cd of 2010. Let's see how this goes. I'm counting on finding any old hobby to replace my endless hours of redundant Amazon scoping.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Harry on January 26, 2010, 02:56:45 AM
I started to address this problem in the beginning of 2009, after buying more than 1100 Cd's in 2008. I bought 129 Cd's in 2009, most of them budget-priced, a few full-price because I simply wanted them. In 2010 so far I bought 14 Cd's again most of them budget-priced, with the resolve to buy only that, and only in very special circumstances full priced Cd's. At the moment I still have to listen to about 100 Cd's, unopened.
The good thing is, that there are not many releases that interest me, apart from Hamerik which I bought, and Langgaard which is in the pipeline as soon as I find a better price as 65,- euro's.
So yeah I pretty much handled the problem, so I am mildly addicted these days. Have so much music to listen already.

Oh, you poor deluded soul. Denial is not a pretty thing, Harry... :)

I haven't made any such vow. In fact, I am in a better position to spend too much on CD's that I have ever been.  Damn the bad luck... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

snyprrr

I should have known it was too good to be true.

I've been trying to get this Boccherini SQs by the Apponyi Qrt. on Ars Musici for a while now, and I've ordered it twice only to have the order cancelled by the seller because they could not find the cd!

Sooo,... all of a sudden, guess who?,... GoHastings!,...yes, I should have known,...

so, they sent me the Boccherini Naxos disc instead. As I said, I ordered this cd pretty much knowing it wasn't going to be what they said. I think I've been getting more refunds lately than actual cds, haha! Seriously, about five in the last two months.

And, of course, I went back to the Boccherini page, and now the cd is up to $62. It seems like all the cds I want now are in the $100-200 range, haha! I've so wanted to write some of these sellers just to understand why the change so much. Does anyone know?

I'm trying to be a good boy, but all of this non-satifaction thing is making me a bit itchy to just get something overnight, just to satisfy my jones.

Que

Quote from: snyprrr on January 29, 2010, 08:13:46 AM
I should have known it was too good to be true.

I've been trying to get this Boccherini SQs by the Apponyi Qrt. on Ars Musici for a while now, and I've ordered it twice only to have the order cancelled by the seller because they could not find the cd!

Well, French Amazon happens to have two copies in stock, and a bunch of Market place sellers offer it as well. What are you waiting for - brushing up your French? ;D

Q

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greg on January 25, 2010, 04:49:26 PM
Wow! I didn't know 11 Ring cycles even existed...  :o
It does sound possible, but some would have to be pretty obscure, I bet.
What's the list?  ;D

KARAJAN   BERLIN PHIL

KRAUSS   BAYREUTH 1953

KNAPPERTSBUSCH   BAYREUTH 1956

BÖHM   BAYREUTH 1967

BARENBOIM   BAYREUTH 1991

MORALT   VIENNA SYMPHONY (1948/49)

LEVINE   MET OPERA

FURTWÄNGLER   RAI ROME

SOLTI   VIENNA PHIL

THIELEMANN   BAYREUTH 2008

THE HMV POTTED RING 1927-32 VARIOUS CONDUCTORS, VARIOUS ORCHESTRAS  Here's a short review of this important artistic and historical docment:

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/p/prl09137a.php

Rings that are still on my wishlist: Keilberth/Bayreuth 1955 (on Testament) and Janowski/Staatskapelle Dresden

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

One of my work colleagues is also a 'CD nutter' (as we say in the UK). Sometime back a friend of his wife's split up from her partner and when speaking to my colleague about her ex-partner's many faults said:

And, do you know, he even bought ONE CD A MONTH! ( :o :o :o)

My colleague had to go along with it, saying something like:

'Goodness me that's absolutely terrible  ::)'

Made me laugh.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lilas Pastia

Jeffrey, that's a god one! I'll bet you she had her nails done every month  :D

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Barak on January 30, 2010, 07:51:22 PM
Jeffrey, that's a god one! I'll bet you she had her nails done every month  :D

Yes, I bet you're right.

greg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 30, 2010, 09:35:02 AM
KARAJAN   BERLIN PHIL

KRAUSS   BAYREUTH 1953

KNAPPERTSBUSCH   BAYREUTH 1956

BÖHM   BAYREUTH 1967

BARENBOIM   BAYREUTH 1991

MORALT   VIENNA SYMPHONY (1948/49)

LEVINE   MET OPERA

FURTWÄNGLER   RAI ROME

SOLTI   VIENNA PHIL

THIELEMANN   BAYREUTH 2008

THE HMV POTTED RING 1927-32 VARIOUS CONDUCTORS, VARIOUS ORCHESTRAS  Here's a short review of this important artistic and historical docment:

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/p/prl09137a.php

Rings that are still on my wishlist: Keilberth/Bayreuth 1955 (on Testament) and Janowski/Staatskapelle Dresden

Sarge
Nice... a few of those names I haven't even heard of.
You've probably mentioned it before, but do you have a favorite?

Bunny

I have a double addiction, but at least the cds take up less room than the shoes.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greg on February 09, 2010, 06:42:58 PM
Nice... a few of those names I haven't even heard of.
You've probably mentioned it before, but do you have a favorite?

Karajan's Ring comes to my desert island  :)  My other favorites, Moralt, Barenboim and Böhm.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Coopmv

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 11, 2010, 06:54:30 AM
Karajan's Ring comes to my desert island  :)  My other favorites, Moralt, Barenboim and Böhm.

Sarge

I have the Karajan's Ring on LP but will probably get it on CD later this year.  I also have the Pierre Boulez's Ring on LP - an original Philips release and will consider getting the DVD set.  My Ring collection is rounded out by the Böhm's set on CD ...