Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Since I started teaching three years ago, I suddenly had this idea, starting this year, of having my CD purchases shipped to the school instead of home.

It has worked perfectly and no one at home is suspecting a relapse.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: springrite on April 28, 2019, 06:55:48 PM
Since I started teaching three years ago, I suddenly had this idea, starting this year, of having my CD purchases shipped to the school instead of home.

It has worked perfectly and no one at home is suspecting a relapse.
That's what my wife does with her secret shopping...I look the other way as much as possible.

I ended up selling over 20 boxes (which I have digital copies of). With a couple I burned the entire set onto CD, and printed color labels (I can fit 12 labels on one sheet of A3 paper, which costs about 65 cents a sheet at the printers). I can't sell any more and actually recoup my original investment, so I guess I am done with that method--at least for a while. I still bought 7 new boxes, but only super-duper-duper bargains that I'd longed for. I feel good. Somehow culling broke the collecting madness. Letting stuff go breaks the buying compulsion based on the "if I don't get this, it could be gone forever!" fear/rationalization. It also makes the remaining stuff seem more precious.
It's all good...

Brian

I put all my big boxes on one big shelf in the guest bedroom. My girlfriend came in and said, "I think there are some new sets there!" (There are.)

I said, "Oh, I moved some in from the other rooms to put them all in one place. And the magazines that were there are on the front room bookshelf now."

She said, "Oh, good."

Phew! A narrow escape!

Now, where to hide those other CDs I just ordered...

(top "row": Michel Dalberto, Leon Fleisher, Anne Queffelec)
(second "row": Murray Perahia, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Narciso Yepes, Andre Previn, Sviatoslav Richter, Daniel Barenboim)
(third "row": Arthur Rubinstein, George Szell, Brilliant Historic Russian Legends 100CDs, Haydn/Davies, Harmonia Mundi)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Brian

I've had that one for three or four years so she's gotten used to it. It's so big you have to consider it a part of the room color scheme.

Moonfish

WHAT!
No posts in this thread since May?
Is there a vaccine for CDCDCD nowadays or are we all just pretending to be normal?

On a personal note I finally found more room in my bedroom closet so my cd boxes are migrating upstairs. You all know what that means? Room for more!!!!     >:D >:D >:D

:P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

springrite

I just gave away 5 boxes of CDs away. I don't know how much that is. Maybe 500 or so?

I am officially cured! Yeah!

(Please ignore what I post on the purchases thread.)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on September 01, 2019, 08:13:45 PM
WHAT!
Is there a vaccine for CDCDCD nowadays or are we all just pretending to be normal?

On a personal note I finally found more room in my bedroom closet so my cd boxes are migrating upstairs. You all know what that means? Room for more!!!!     >:D >:D >:D

Peter, great to see you back! CDCDCD does seem to be less rampant than in the past. How about with you? Have you had it under control?
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on September 01, 2019, 08:30:52 PM
Peter, great to see you back! CDCDCD does seem to be less rampant than in the past. How about with you? Have you had it under control?

Al,
Yes, I have been very, very, very good. I probably saved thousands of dollars since last summer. Besides, there seems to be a decline in the box realm nowadays. Don't you think? I have had a pretty static collection over the last year (which is probably a good thing). Perhaps the decline in CDCDCD is due to the more limited releases? Still, the fall is likely to have some juicy collections?  What about you, Al?

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

But already tempted by Jean-Francois Paillard's "The Complete Erato Recordings".   Still, perhaps a bit superfluous in the scheme of things?

Btw did you ever get the Casadesus collection (Columbia)?  0:)
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on September 01, 2019, 09:25:30 PM
But already tempted by Jean-Francois Paillard's "The Complete Erato Recordings".   Still, perhaps a bit superfluous in the scheme of things?

Btw did you ever get the Casadesus collection (Columbia)?  0:)

Casadesus doesn't tempt me at all. I have waaaaay too many disks of excellent piano music. Though I love it, I find I can't play much consecutively, so have enough for the rest of my life.  The Paillard does look good, though. I was just making fun of it a couple of days ago (Paillard?! Who the hell is that?) but now am extremely curious.
  As far as CDCDCD goes, I broke the habit when I started selling more boxes than I bought.  I had so much piled up I finally sold about half of my collection (keeping copies of my faves). I have since bought more, but tend to wait now til something I'm really interested in suddenly becomes insanely cheap (like the Lenny 100CD original jackets box for $66). Plus, I have so many virtual disks on my hard-drives I won't have enough waking hours to listen to it all.

It's all good...

Ken B

Welcome back. Good luck tempting Al. I hope to tempt him into rereading Robert Jordan ...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on September 02, 2019, 10:55:40 AM
Welcome back. Good luck tempting Al. I hope to tempt him into rereading Robert Jordan ...
Look at us 3, just like old times 8)
It's all good...

JBS

Quote from: Moonfish on September 01, 2019, 08:13:45 PM
WHAT!

Nothing substantive to say... but good to see you back!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on September 01, 2019, 10:14:50 PM
  Casadesus doesn't tempt me at all. I have waaaaay too many disks of excellent piano music. Though I love it, I find I can't play much consecutively, so have enough for the rest of my life.  The Paillard does look good, though. I was just making fun of it a couple of days ago (Paillard?! Who the hell is that?) but now am extremely curious.
  As far as CDCDCD goes, I broke the habit when I started selling more boxes than I bought.  I had so much piled up I finally sold about half of my collection (keeping copies of my faves). I have since bought more, but tend to wait now til something I'm really interested in suddenly becomes insanely cheap (like the Lenny 100CD original jackets box for $66). Plus, I have so many virtual disks on my hard-drives I won't have enough waking hours to listen to it all.

Finally completed my boxes (moved upstairs) so now my living room looks almost normal!   ::)

How is your Paillard thinking going? And what are your thoughts about the current Beethoven mania (box frenzy). Clearly all of us have nuuuuumerous versions of almost everything apart from a few unusual works.  I guess we will all listen to Beethoven 24/7 in 2020?

Anna Lappé

Alek Hidell

I'm happy (?) to report that there are still places where CDCDCD has not been eradicated. Every time I think I've been inoculated against it, it returns.

Just recently I acquired a crapload of more CDs (both boxes and individual discs), to add to the much bigger crapload I have yet to listen to. At my age I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to listen to anything a second time.  ::) #FirstWorldProblems
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Ken B

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 15, 2019, 01:58:20 PM
I'm happy (?) to report that there are still places where CDCDCD has not been eradicated. Every time I think I've been inoculated against it, it returns.

Just recently I acquired a crapload of more CDs (both boxes and individual discs), to add to the much bigger crapload I have yet to listen to. At my age I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to listen to anything a second time.  ::) #FirstWorldProblems

Good. It is getting harder and harder to binge vivaciously through Al. Here's hoping you can take up the slack.

I have bought nothing since March, and only one box in 18 months! But I have 10 feet of unopened stuff ... :-[

Moonfish

It is indeed a first world problem. Even if we listened 24/7 for two decades we wouldn't finish. However, isn't the explanation that we are building a library to browse at our leisure?  That makes me feel better.....    0:)
Anna Lappé