Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

The mailbox mocks me.

One item hasn't shown for a month, one was cancelled w/o my knowledge, one is taking...A WHOLE 8 DAYS!!! so far,...arrrghhhh...ahhh,... my poor, spoiled...

JUST when I thought I was out,...they pull you right back in!!! :-\ (crack'd actor)

If I don't find the perfect Haydn Op.20 in the next few days, I'm gonna...

ah...

ahhh...

AAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

I am so close to having the perfect record collection, but it always seems that I'm "just a few away", hahahaha,.... just a few away, hey, that's a good one!

Last year, I was sooo over it all, and then I got myself into this Classical Era thing, and now I'm desperately trying to satisfy that insatiable part of me, trying to coax it to sleep with a couple of really good buys that will keep me going for a good long while.

Oh, why did I give the mailman the keys to my heart? :'( You should see how I've built my life in the last few weeks around going to the mailbox, still in the robe, only to fall to my knees with arms outstretched to Heaven, screaming, Nooooo!!!

What happens when you've "heard it all"? Do you then just find favorite pieces to get endless versions of? Is...there...any...hope? :'( :'( :'(

All my money is no good now. I can't possibly get anything in time for my meltdown. I WANT STUFF NNNNNOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!

THE TWELVE STEPS OF CDCDCD:
1) We realized we were powerless over New Releases and hopelessly out-of-print cds, and our lives had become unmanageable.

2) Came to believe that a Bank Account greater than ours could restore us to sanity.

3) Made a decision to turn our Paypal Account and free-time over to the care of Ebay,...er...God, AS WE UNDERSTOOD HIM (husbands, you know who this is!).

4) Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our collection.

5)Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another GMG member, the exact nature of our ridiculous buying habits.

6) Were entirely ready to have God remove all of our bad cds.

7) Humbly asked Him to remove those same cds.

8) Made a list of all the persons we have harmed with our collecting (husbands,...again).

9) Made direct amends to those we had harmed (did you forget to leave Feedback???).

10) Continued to take our inventory, and promptly called out bad recordings even if they used to be our favorites.

11) Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with all New Release bulletins and OOP retailers, praying only that we will not feel the need to buy the next "Fifth".

12) Having HAD a spiritual awakening through the application of these steps, we tried to carry the message to other Sufferers of CDCDCD.

Come on, br-other, and receive the anointing!

Que

Quote from: snyprrr on December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

What happens when you've "heard it all"? Do you then just find favorite pieces to get endless versions of? Is...there...any...hope? :'( :'( :'(

No, the bad news is - or rather.... the GOOD news  ;D - that you never heard it all. There is always a new musical infatuation just around the corner. 8)

Q

secondwind

Quote from: Que on December 17, 2009, 12:42:22 PM
No, the bad news is - or rather.... the GOOD news  ;D - that you never heard it all. There is always a new musical infatuation just around the corner. 8)

Q
And new music constantly being written. . . just think, an unending supply!  A compulsive collector's paradise!

vandermolen

As a long term sufferer from OCCDCD (Obsessive-Compulsive CD Collecting Disorder) it is my melancholy duty to confirm that the situation is hopeless (22 CDs of Walton's First Symphony  :o, but still looking for that, elusive, 'perfect recording').
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

MN Dave

It's ye olde bottomless hole you're attempting to fill.

Todd

Okay, okay, so I bought over 400 recordings in 2009 (on top of over 300 in 2008), but I've got a handle on the situation.  Really.  And I'm thinking that my collection is pretty nice, so I'll be able to cut back in 2010.  Seriously.  I mean it.  I don't have any problem buying recordings.  (And note the word recordings; used LPs include treasures that never made it to CD or are even harder to find on CD, and LPs cost very little.  But I'm fine with these now, too.  Honest.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Quote from: Todd on December 18, 2009, 06:14:40 AM
Okay, okay, so I bought over 400 recordings in 2009 (on top of over 300 in 2008), but I've got a handle on the situation.  Really.  And I'm thinking that my collection is pretty nice, so I'll be able to cut back in 2010.  Seriously.  I mean it.  I don't have any problem buying recordings.  (And note the word recordings; used LPs include treasures that never made it to CD or are even harder to find on CD, and LPs cost very little.  But I'm fine with these now, too.  Honest.)

Sure, we understand  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

If I could cut back to 400 records a year, I'd be in total control. Seriously.  ::)

All those total collections are a nightmare.

Elgarian

I haven't thought about buying another CD for at least 30 minutes. So what's the problem?

Brahmsian

We are always looking for that next 'hit'.

*snort, snort, sniffle, sniffle*

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on December 18, 2009, 05:30:10 AM
As a long term sufferer from OCCDCD (Obsessive-Compulsive CD Collecting Disorder) it is my melancholy duty to confirm that the situation is hopeless (22 CDs of Walton's First Symphony  :o, but still looking for that, elusive, 'perfect recording').

You know, van, this whole thread was just a ploy to get you to open up for our little "intervention" here.

Guys...

(Help is on the way, Mrs.  Vandermolen!)

snyprrr

Oh, this is Pathetic!!!

I fully believe that MOST of you out there are just in total Denial of your Crimes! Nut up, and confess yer sins!! I know there's someone out there who, lke a CIA mind controlled puppet, has to buy a new version of the "Fifth" every third moon cycle.

I may yap an' fuss, but seriously guys, though I have collected, and just listened, to thousands of recordings, I only HAVE about 500 cds (it was @400 before I met HIP SQs!). The exact number of my Collection in Heaven is truly a wondrous number indeed!

I have, from day one, been a "trade-in" kind of one, always comparing, and adding, and discarding.  I have an INSATIABLE thirst for the New, yet, the New seems to vanish every time I "crack" the Factory Seal (cue angelic voices). Apparently I was born with an infinite MP3 player in my head. I've listened to Shosty's SQs so much, I can't listen to them any more with my physical ears. They're locked in the vault of my memory.

Working in the Golden Age of Classical Music Stores helped, too!

I have perfected the Art of talking myself out of purchases. I actually believe I can "hear" a recording simply by thinking hard enough about it. Yes, and you call ME crazy???, hahahaha :P. I'm not kidding, of course. 8) :o 8) I use to obsessively listen to free snippets.

Yes, I make wild accusations and speculations. Yes, I agonize endlessly over stupid minutae, only to end up months later buying the $4 version anyway.

I try to keep myself in a state of perpetual naivete, so that even minor revelations will shock me enough to keep me busy for months in research without buying anything. I know, you guys hate me for that, haha ::) :P,... sorry :-*!

If I have to pay $20 for a single disc, it feels as though I'm passing a Cadillac. I payed @$60-80 for a single cd maybe 2 or 3 times. Afterwards,... the feeling,...mmm... was wooooonderful!!

The $3 shipping at Amazon is my "enemy".

EBAY is how we say "I love you".

QUESTION: Does anyone out there believe that God is "against" their record collection?

PerfectWagnerite

Brahmsian

Quote from: snyprrr on December 18, 2009, 09:43:37 AM
I may yap an' fuss, but seriously guys, though I have collected, and just listened, to thousands of recordings, I only HAVE about 500 cds (it was @400 before I met HIP SQs!). The exact number of my Collection in Heaven is truly a wondrous number indeed!

What I want to know Snyprrr is....what % of your CD collection are string quartets?  Is 95% a conservative estimate?  :D

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sforzando on December 18, 2009, 10:27:30 AM
How much have all of you saved for retirement?

You mean...............investing in CDs today so that when it's time to retire, you can sell all your CDs with the appreciable value, right? 

Yes, yes, of course I am!  :D

Carolus

and LPs cost very little. 
Sure, a few cents. e.g.a Vox box of 6 with Mozart's piano sonatas by Valdo Perlemuter sold on u$s 6.200.- One a month would be OK.

greg

I don't spend money on CDs, so I don't have to worry. (I don't have money in the first place, so that's probably why).