Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

ok, it's getting on May, and, well, it looks like I've got myself into a buying tizzy.

It's at the point where everything I want, er,...NEED,... is either very expensive, or, like those CRI cds, pennies. Spending $22 on a cd (+shipping) has never been my forte, and yet, why should I choose an alternative I don't really want just because I don't want to spend.

Hmm, I'm just writing this to myself, because I TOLD myself we were going to wrap this thing up, and start a new hobby, like maybe PLAYING music instead of just being a consumer. oy

What gets me is when a cd that really should be pretty cheap ends up, just willy nilly, being offered for $40. However, the inverse can be true too, and I think you can get Carter's 4 SQs on Sony for pennies.

Anyhow, every 'stack' of cds I have, which are all in historically relevant stacks,...I look at them and say, 'Well, it looks complete', and yet I keep wanting MORE MORE MORE, even though there really isn't all that much I want (NEED).

At least I've got my 'history' covered, and now it really is only stuff I'm just plain curious about. The only problem is that there are still starving kids in Africa.

mmm,....oh well :P

oabmarcus

I collected CDs for a while, but due to both budgetary constraints and a loss of interest. I stopped doing that, instead I just download stuff online.

DavidW

Quote from: oabmarcus on April 26, 2010, 08:17:26 AM
I collected CDs for a while, but due to both budgetary constraints and a loss of interest. I stopped doing that, instead I just download stuff online.

You might be interested in a subscription service like naxos, it will give you access to more music than you can listen to and much cheaper than buying lots of cds. :)

oabmarcus

Quote from: DavidW on April 26, 2010, 09:16:36 AM
You might be interested in a subscription service like naxos, it will give you access to more music than you can listen to and much cheaper than buying lots of cds. :)
Yeah, I have subscription to Naxosmusiclibrary and Naxosvideolibrary. So, pretty pointless for me to collect CDs at this point.

DavidW

Quote from: oabmarcus on April 26, 2010, 12:13:57 PM
Yeah, I have subscription to Naxosmusiclibrary and Naxosvideolibrary. So, pretty pointless for me to collect CDs at this point.

They have a video library too?  I didn't know that, do they have operas?

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on April 26, 2010, 07:33:21 AM
ok, it's getting on May, and, well, it looks like I've got myself into a buying tizzy.

I'm gladly coming out of one. In the past 3 weeks, I made my third bulk purchase from the Stockhausen-Verlag (finally including the realisation score of Kontakte, with some 10 other CDs to top up the order and "justify" the handling expenses), completed the Feldman series on Mode and got a dozen other classical CDs. One thing I noticed is that oop stuff (like some of the Feldman) gets me into a "tracking"/"I gotta find it" mode. Ah the sorrows of a completist. On the flip side, looking at my CD racks, I am utterly satisfied to see some pretty rare stuff in there.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

oabmarcus

Quote from: DavidW on April 26, 2010, 12:15:35 PM
They have a video library too?  I didn't know that, do they have operas?
Yes, operas, concerts, documentaries, etc....
http://naxosvideolibrary.com/

Harpo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2010, 12:39:15 PM
Listen to this - I have a good friend and former work colleague who is also a compulsive CD purchaser. His young daughter intercepts the packages (often boxed sets etc) and replaces the contents with old CDs from his collection, and then she perfectly seals up the package, so he wont notice anything fishy and watches his reaction when he opens the package! In the meantime SHE HAS HIDDEN THE NEW CDs  :o Isn't that EVIL?  >:D

Ooh! Not evil, PRACTICAL! I could take this a step further and not only replace the new CDs with old ones, I could SEND BACK the new CDs for a refund.  >:D
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harpo on April 26, 2010, 04:53:16 PM
Ooh! Not evil, PRACTICAL! I could take this a step further and not only replace the new CDs with old ones, I could SEND BACK the new CDs for a refund.  >:D

OH, so evil, devil!  ;) ;D

DavidW

Dave will probably stop laughing when he discovers that can't find his Haydn Kuijken cds. ;D

knight66

David, Here is a really good idea: it might help you.  ;D

Mike

Quote from: DavidW on April 26, 2010, 09:16:36 AM
[/quot
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

snyprrr

Quote from: petrArch on April 26, 2010, 12:19:26 PM
I'm gladly coming out of one. In the past 3 weeks, I made my third bulk purchase from the Stockhausen-Verlag (finally including the realisation score of Kontakte, with some 10 other CDs to top up the order and "justify" the handling expenses), completed the Feldman series on Mode and got a dozen other classical CDs. One thing I noticed is that oop stuff (like some of the Feldman) gets me into a "tracking"/"I gotta find it" mode. Ah the sorrows of a completist. On the flip side, looking at my CD racks, I am utterly satisfied to see some pretty rare stuff in there.

oh, I feel yer pain. ;)

and yes, I too look at the 'Library', and yes, I'm quite impressed. I'd want to know me, haha!! :P :-*

Harpo

Quote from: DavidW on April 26, 2010, 05:03:44 PM
Dave will probably stop laughing when he discovers that can't find his Haydn Kuijken cds. ;D

I would not be bold enough to purloin a boxed set, but he'd never miss an individual Mozart or Beethoven CD, of which he has seemingly hundreds. (Actually, that is wishful thinking. He has them on a database.)
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

snyprrr

UPDATE: May 23

Point #1:

I bought the 6cd set 'A Dutch Miracle; 50 Years of the Holland Festival' for one 10min Xenakis piece.

Point #2:

For the second time, I ordered a cd with the title 'Strike the Ear', from Europe, and this time, I got a Petra :( cd. I mean, I even emailed them before I ordered,... and, to add insult to injury, they are STILL offering the cd I bought! Imagine yesterday when I pulled the package from the UK out of the mailbox, and all those chemicals started juicing my brain in anticipation. And then imagine the sheer drug crash when I saw that dimestore cd (ugh, Petra of all!). That's why I'm sharing now,... I'm still in apoplectic shock :o :o :o!! What a wuss!! :P

I have one more vendor to try. ::)

Point #3:

Just like the government, I plan on just throwing more money at the problem. I have jacked up the bank account to withstand any impulse buy. I'm on the lookout for OOPs costing $40! I might even buy something I don't want!! :o ahhhhh.....

No, once again I'm at the 'I've got everything I want' place again, where, anything I get is just cream on top, bon bons. But then, why do I have that unsatisfied feeling? ;D

Oh, it must be because I just... WANT MORE STUFF ??? ??? ???!!!

OY!

I'm actually at the point where I've drained Amazon.com, and I'm trying to figure out how to use Amazon,uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Ama...

Can you do that if you live in the US?

(Tell him no, tell him no)

Brian

Quote from: Brian on January 25, 2010, 01:30:09 PM
Total expenditures on CDs in 2009...$910
427 Jan-Apr/164 May-Aug/319 Aug-Dec

Brian's Classical Music Expenditures 2010
Jan...$225 (mostly the Abeille Musique clearance sale)
Feb...$31
Mar...$29
Apr...$12
May so far...$0!
Total after five months...$297
Goal for June/July/August combined expenditures...$20 (Paavo Jarvi Beethoven 9 + 1 Naxos disc of my choice)

snyprrr

For days now I have been staring at the Amazon screen. It mocks me, saying, Why don't you find something to buy? And,...and,... I,...I just can't think of anything that's absolutely necessary to my wellbeing :o!

Ah me, I am in an island of peace in between compulsives, and yet, I find no peace. I WANT stuff, but,...there IS no stuff ??? :-\ ??? :-\ ??? :-\.ahhhh.....

pre-1800 cds,...check!

1880s-1919 cds,...check!

The War Years,...check!

Avant garde,...

Postmodern,...

Actually, now that we have a 21st century computer, I can actually listen to samples again, which usually cures me of the 'newsies' (the constant need to hear something new).

sospiro

Quote from: snyprrr on May 25, 2010, 02:53:01 AM

I'm actually at the point where I've drained Amazon.com, and I'm trying to figure out how to use Amazon,uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Ama...

Can you do that if you live in the US?

(Tell him no, tell him no)

Well I live in UK and have bought stuff from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca & Amazon.de so there's no reason why you can't start emptying their warehouses as well.

link
Annie

snyprrr

Quote from: sospiro on May 27, 2010, 11:01:18 AM

Well I live in UK and have bought stuff from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca & Amazon.de so there's no reason why you can't start emptying their warehouses as well.

Haha, that's funny!

The point is, you just have to pay their shipping, right? Wow, the Germans want to charge you 14 Euros :o per cd!! Wow!! :o

Will someone be my Amazon.de pimp? Bunny? :-*

I am 'shoring up' Amazon.com whilst I get the bank account to start doing pushups for the UK Assault!! :P

sospiro

I found something worse than Amazon.

I saw La Fille du RĂ©giment at ROH last Tuesday & after collecting our tickets from the box office, found myself in the ROH shop

- Big Mistake.

Annie

knight66

Yes, it is usually top price for new releases! Very unwise, unless they had the bargain table.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.