Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sospiro

Quote from: knight on May 28, 2010, 10:21:57 AM
Yes, it is usually top price for new releases! Very unwise, unless they had the bargain table.

Mike

Yep!

I could have swooned over Juan Diego as Tonio twice more for what I spent in there - but it was so lovely to sort through lots of different versions of a favourite.

Annie

Gurn Blanston

All this talk about Amazon reminds me of one of the symptoms that rarely gets discussed, likely due to embarrassment on the part of the party of the first part, to wit, myself;

I bought a CD on Amazon this morning, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Only that it was not something in the mainstream of what I've been collecting lately.  :-[

So now I'll have to go and look through the "My account" stuff and see what little treat I've given myself. or maybe I should leave it for a surprise... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

The CDC should be informed of the CDCDCD post haste.
Regards,
Navneeth

Franco

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2010, 10:51:01 AM
All this talk about Amazon reminds me of one of the symptoms that rarely gets discussed, likely due to embarrassment on the part of the party of the first part, to wit, myself;

I bought a CD on Amazon this morning, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Only that it was not something in the mainstream of what I've been collecting lately.  :-[

So now I'll have to go and look through the "My account" stuff and see what little treat I've given myself. or maybe I should leave it for a surprise... :-\

8)

Similar to what I've been guilty of: buying a CD I already had.  But the aspect I am trying to change right now is the Completist Impulse.  After listening to a dozen or so Haydn Baryton Trios I realized I did not need 21 discs of them in order to enjoy that particular kind of work.

bhodges

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2010, 10:51:01 AM

8)

;D

Love that little story (and I vote for "surprise").

--Bruce

sospiro

;D

Don't worry about it Gurn! If you don't check you'll have a nice surprise as long as you don't do what I did.

Like Franco my most embarrassing Amazon moment was buying a wish-list CD from Amazon.com and then buying the same CD from Amazon.UK from my work PC the next day.

I only realised what I'd done was when I got home from work a week later to find the Amazon.UK order on the mat & a message from Amazon.com on my PC to say they could no longer supply it.  The Gods were smiling on me that day.

I have banned myself from buying from work now and I keep an 'on order' spreadsheet.
Annie

Gurn Blanston

;D

OK, feel better. At least I'm not the worst offender! :)

I do tend to buy a lot of things on Amazon USA, and one of the reasons for it is that when I go to "double-order" something, it comes up and tells me "whoa, mate, you bought that on April 12, 2004. Don't you remember?". It has saved me a dozen times already.  0:)

I agree, I will leave it as a surprise. Now, I can't wait to see what I got myself!   :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Like Franco I've purchased a cd that I had before.  Didn't realize it, but I also didn't realize that I sold it as well, and that this time around I would love it when I didn't before.  So it all worked out. :D

sospiro

Quote from: DavidW on May 28, 2010, 11:14:08 AM
Like Franco I've purchased a cd that I had before.  Didn't realize it, but I also didn't realize that I sold it as well, and that this time around I would love it when I didn't before.  So it all worked out. :D

:)

That is so funny!

All's well etc though
Annie

Antoine Marchand

I don't usually post on this thread. Today I understood the reason: I don't like hospitals.  ;)

Anyway, one embarrassing question: Do you hide some of your purchases, for example, from your wives? Sending your discs to the office address, f.i.? (obviously, Sonic doesn't need to reply this time  :D).   

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 28, 2010, 11:23:52 AM
I don't usually post on this thread. Today I understood the reason: I don't like hospitals.  ;)

Anyway, one embarrassing question: Do you hide some of your purchases, for example, from your wives? Sending your discs to the office address, f.i.? (obviously, Sonic doesn't need to reply this time  :D).

I used to have ALL my purchases sent to work. Now we've reached a detente. Perhaps she will get tired of having me kiss her feet every night before bed, but if not, I can live with it... :D

8)

Scarpia

Quote from: DavidW on May 28, 2010, 11:14:08 AM

Usually the opposite for me.  I go looking for a recording on my shelves. It's not there, then I remember I sold it.  "Why did I sell it?  It was so good!" I say to myself.  Then I buy it again.  "Ohhhhh, now I remember."   ???

DavidW

Quote from: Scarpia on May 28, 2010, 11:29:25 AM
Usually the opposite for me.  I go looking for a recording on my shelves. It's not there, then I remember I sold it.  "Why did I sell it?  It was so good!" I say to myself.  Then I buy it again.  "Ohhhhh, now I remember."   ???

Yeah I've been down that road too. :-\

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2010, 11:26:06 AM
I used to have ALL my purchases sent to work. Now we've reached a detente. Perhaps she will get tired of having me kiss her feet every night before bed, but if not, I can live with it... :D

... and the trick of the office is just a transitory solution. After all , they also have eyes and, late or soon, will notice 2,500 discs and several big boxes at their homes...  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 28, 2010, 11:36:53 AM
... and the trick of the office is just a transitory solution. After all , they also have eyes and, late or soon, will notice 2,500 discs and several big boxes at their homes...  :)

In my case, my wife is also my accountant. Did I suppose that any credit card statements went truly unnoticed? ;D

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2010, 11:48:14 AM
In my case, my wife is also my accountant. Did I suppose that any credit card statements went truly unnoticed? ;D

Your accountant! It must have been a true nightmare!  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 28, 2010, 12:08:52 PM
Your accountant! It must have been a true nightmare!  :)

I think that it's a credit to my skill. It's easier to just kiss her feet and get it over with though. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2010, 12:12:04 PM
I think that it's a credit to my skill. It's easier to just kiss her feet and get it over with though. :)

8)

... a melomaniac and a gentle lover: the best combination.  8)

vandermolen

Oh yes, I have nearly all my CD purchases sent to work (do you think that I have a death wish?) - in fact I now have an 'overflow tray' to accomodate the large number of CDs which arrive for me. CDs are of course much easier than LPs to smuggle into the house. My smuggling tendencies developed as an adolescent when I used to creep through the communal gardens to my parent's ground floor flat to my bedroom window, which was always left slightly open for our cats to get in and out - I would then throw the LP that I had just purchased through the window and then appear, all innocent, at the front door a few moments later  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

prémont

Anyway, one embarrassing question: Do you hide some of your purchases, for example, from your wives? Sending your discs to the office address, f.i.?

No, - never. And if we are out, when the postman tries to deliver some CDs, my wife often is helpful and picks the CDs up at the post office the following day.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν