Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 14, 2010, 08:14:19 PM7,000 classical CDs

hmm, I notice you say 7000 classical cds. that sounds slightly selective, hmm?? are you leaving other musics out?? how many cds in TOTAL do you have??

(prepare for shocking number)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 14, 2010, 08:14:19 PM
I definitely suffer from this disease as many do here. I'm a pretty hardcore collector. I own around 7,000 classical CDs. I'm not sure if this number is good or bad, but I know I'm running out of room to store them all! :D

MI - yes, many of us face the same problem, i.e. storage space!  ;D

I believe that Harry bought a bigger house to help w/ his space requirements, IIRC -  :D

We even have a thread addressing this situation but have not seen any posts 'pop up' recently - Dave

Bulldog

Quote from: snyprrr on September 15, 2010, 05:52:19 AM
hmm, I notice you say 7000 classical cds. that sounds slightly selective, hmm?? are you leaving other musics out?? how many cds in TOTAL do you have??

(prepare for shocking number)

It's likely that many of us have thousands of cds, very few of them other than classical.  That happens to be my situation - the only non classical cd I own is a Donald Fagen disc from many years ago.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bulldog on September 15, 2010, 06:12:03 AM
It's likely that many of us have thousands of cds, very few of them other than classical.  That happens to be my situation - the only non classical cd I own is a Donald Fagen disc from many years ago.

:) That's interesting, Don, since the only non-classical CD that I own is "Steely Dan's Greatest Hits"...  0:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bulldog

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 15, 2010, 06:16:55 AM
:) That's interesting, Don, since the only non-classical CD that I own is "Steely Dan's Greatest Hits"...  0:)

8)

We must be sharing some DNA. ;D

By the way, that "Nightfly" Fagen disc I have is a beauty.  It even has a song titled "Maxine" that's in honor of my mother-in-law who recently celebrated her 85th birthday.

Franco

This is not true for me.  I technically have probably over a thousand CDs that are not Classical or Jazz.  But these days, and for a while now, I only listen to Classical & Jazz.  I guess I have about 1500 Classical CDs and about 1000 Jazz CDs.  The rest are in boxes on their way to a second hand store for re-selling.

Also, I have pretty much stopped buying recordings (I have more than enough already and other pursuits have taken over the discretionary spending line on our budget), so I think my CDCDCD is in remission.

;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bulldog on September 15, 2010, 06:22:17 AM
We must be sharing some DNA. ;D

By the way, that "Nightfly" Fagen disc I have is a beauty.  It even has a song titled "Maxine" that's in honor of my mother-in-law who recently celebrated her 85th birthday.

I've heard some cuts off that disk and thought I might like it. I'm just stubborn though... haven't bought a non-classical disk since this one, way back in 1993 when it was released. It was my first CD that I bought to try out my new first player (I was a late bloomer  :-[ ). If I was doing it over again, I would probably have gotten Show Biz Kids instead... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

I wonder what the percentage is. How many is "many"? The non-classical listening thread is the third largest and while the classical listening thread does have six times the posts, we "popular music" fans are still a considerable presence. I have about 6000 CDs total of which approxiamately 2000 are non-classical (jazz, blues, rock, country, alt country, world, R&B, soul, funk, rap, pop). My gut reaction to someone who said they owned a sizable collection but owned no popular music (I'm including jazz here) would be: what a small-minded snob!  ;D  How can anyone who loves music dismiss so much great music? But neither you nor Gurn strike me as snobs. Quite the opposite. So I'm really puzzled.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 15, 2010, 07:10:53 AM
I wonder what the percentage is. How many is "many"? The non-classical listening thread is the third largest and while the classical listening thread does have six times the posts, we "popular music" fans are still a considerable presence. I have about 6000 CDs total of which approxiamately 2000 are non-classical (jazz, blues, rock, country, alt country, world, R&B, soul, funk, rap, pop). My gut reaction to someone who said they owned a sizable collection but owned no popular music (I'm including jazz here) would be: what a small-minded snob!  ;D  How can anyone who loves music dismiss so much great music? But neither you nor Gurn strike me as snobs. Quite the opposite. So I'm really puzzled.

Sarge

I don't 'not listen' to other kinds of music; I just don't spend money on it. :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Bulldog

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 15, 2010, 07:10:53 AM

Sarge

Although I had to do a lot of multi-tasking before I retired, that's not my thing.  I like to zero in and concentrate on those activities I most treasure.  At some point when I was a teenager, I switched from classical music to folk rock and progressive rock.  In my late 30's I decided to switch back to classical and concentrate on it exclusively.  That's just natural for me.  So, unlike Gurn, I listen very little to non-classical.  "Eclectic" is an alien concept in my world.

Guido

Quote from: Brian on January 25, 2010, 01:30:09 PM
Total expenditures on CDs in 2009...$910
427 Jan-Apr/164 May-Aug/319 Aug-Dec

what are the numbers - the amount of CDs? Can't be!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Franco

Quote from: Guido on September 15, 2010, 08:50:16 AM
what are the numbers - the amount of CDs? Can't be!

The numbers would seem to be the amount of dollars spent in each of those periods.

Guido

Quote from: snyprrr on January 29, 2010, 08:13:46 AM
IAnd, of course, I went back to the Boccherini page, and now the cd is up to $62. It seems like all the cds I want now are in the $100-200 range, haha! I've so wanted to write some of these sellers just to understand why the change so much. Does anyone know?

This thread is hilarious (mostly because of snyprrr's stream of consciousness posts). I have in fact emailed one of these with a veiledly sarcastic tone, in mock innocence asking whether they had made a mistake. I got a sarcastic response, and the guy had clearly google stalked me too...!
Geologist.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bulldog on September 15, 2010, 07:59:14 AM
Although I had to do a lot of multi-tasking before I retired, that's not my thing.  I like to zero in and concentrate on those activities I most treasure.  At some point when I was a teenager, I switched from classical music to folk rock and progressive rock.  In my late 30's I decided to switch back to classical and concentrate on it exclusively.  That's just natural for me.  So, unlike Gurn, I listen very little to non-classical.  "Eclectic" is an alien concept in my world.

I can relate to that. I tend to concentrate on one type of music at a time too...unless it's a listening evening with Mrs. Rock when we roam with free association everywhere (Havergal Brian followed by Joan Baez followed by Hildegard von Bingen followed by the Bangles followed by the Wolf Glen Scene from Freischutz, etc). In high school it was classical and jazz; rock/pop in my early army years; after the deaths of Morrison, Hendrix and Joplin, back to Classical exclusively for five years until I heard Emmylou Harris the first time and went deep into Cosmic American music, followed by several years of punk/new wave and then back to classical in the mid 80s when I bought my first CD player. The last two years have been mainly classical but I'm suddenly feeling the urge to revisit my youth (Janis and the Dead calling me 8) )

Sarge

Guido

Quote from: Franco on September 15, 2010, 08:52:35 AM
The numbers would seem to be the amount of dollars spent in each of those periods.

Ah! I'm dense (and was too laszy to add them up myself!)
Geologist.

Bulldog

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 15, 2010, 09:06:17 AM
I can relate to that. I tend to concentrate on one type of music at a time too...unless it's a listening evening with Mrs. Rock when we roam with free association everywhere (Havergal Brian followed by Joan Baez followed by Hildegard von Bingen followed by the Bangles followed by the Wolf Glen Scene from Freischutz, etc). In high school it was classical and jazz; rock/pop in my early army years; after the deaths of Morrison, Hendrix and Joplin, back to Classical exclusively for five years until I heard Emmylou Harris the first time and went deep into Cosmic American music, followed by several years of punk/new wave and then back to classical in the mid 80s when I bought my first CD player. The last two years have been mainly classical but I'm suddenly feeling the urge to revisit my youth (Janis and the Dead calling me 8) )

Sarge

Mrs. Bulldog and I rarely listen to music together.  She likes pure folk, world music and tons of Willie Nelson; actually, she doesn't even listen much at all.  I find her musical preferences mind-numbing, and she has no liking for classical, although she does attend a concert with me now and then.  Fortunately, similar musical tastes have nothing to do with a successful marriage.

Franco

Quote from: Bulldog on September 15, 2010, 09:51:14 AM
Fortunately, similar musical tastes have nothing to do with a successful marriage.

That is not always the case.  When my son told us of his engagement and some about his fiancee, his mother suggested that he consider the fact that his bride-to-be did not like the music he composed as sufficient reason to consider postponing their nuptials.  He declined, and four years later they were divorced. 

But all is for the best, she is off in California selling real estate and he, 3 or 4 girlfriends later, has just released his second CD - and could not be happier.

Elgarian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 15, 2010, 09:06:17 AM
I tend to concentrate on one type of music at a time too...
Same for me. I can become quite obsessively single-minded about the current exploration - whatever it might be. If I'm interested in Handel, I listen to very little else, until Mozart comes along, and then it's goodbye Handel, for now. Then hello Wagner, and goodbye Mozart - and so it goes on.

This quantum jump approach is mirrored in the CD collection. In the classical, there's heaps of Handel, masses of Mozart, oodles of Elgar, and so on - but mere token representations of Tchaikovsky, or Mahler, or Bruckner - because these have never been the subject of one of my 'nothing-else-but' periods.

Lurking underneath the classical collection are the Steeleye Span CDs from my folk-rock periods, and scariest of all, the Dylan collection (which includes all the official releases and a ludicrously large bootleg collection of live performances). And so on ....

Bulldog

Quote from: Franco on September 15, 2010, 10:17:03 AM
That is not always the case.  When my son told us of his engagement and some about his fiancee, his mother suggested that he consider the fact that his bride-to-be did not like the music he composed as sufficient reason to consider postponing their nuptials.  He declined, and four years later they were divorced. 

But all is for the best, she is off in California selling real estate and he, 3 or 4 girlfriends later, has just released his second CD - and could not be happier.

Understood.  When one of the partners is a professional composer or performer, the importance of music in a marriage naturally increases.