Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Quote from: Elgarian on September 15, 2010, 11:30:47 AM
Same for me. I can become quite obsessively single-minded about the current exploration - whatever it might be. If I'm interested in Handel, I listen to very little else, until Mozart comes along, and then it's goodbye Handel, for now. Then hello Wagner, and goodbye Mozart - and so it goes on.

This quantum jump approach is mirrored in the CD collection. In the classical, there's heaps of Handel, masses of Mozart, oodles of Elgar, and so on - but mere token representations of Tchaikovsky, or Mahler, or Bruckner - because these have never been the subject of one of my 'nothing-else-but' periods.

Lurking underneath the classical collection are the Steeleye Span CDs from my folk-rock periods, and scariest of all, the Dylan collection (which includes all the official releases and a ludicrously large bootleg collection of live performances). And so on ....

I know of what you speak. :) 

But are there any Beach Boys discs?  Not for the faint of heart.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 15, 2010, 07:10:53 AM
I wonder what the percentage is. How many is "many"? The non-classical listening thread is the third largest and while the classical listening thread does have six times the posts, we "popular music" fans are still a considerable presence. I have about 6000 CDs total of which approxiamately 2000 are non-classical (jazz, blues, rock, country, alt country, world, R&B, soul, funk, rap, pop). My gut reaction to someone who said they owned a sizable collection but owned no popular music (I'm including jazz here) would be: what a small-minded snob!  ;D  How can anyone who loves music dismiss so much great music? But neither you nor Gurn strike me as snobs. Quite the opposite. So I'm really puzzled.

Well, I'm similar to Sarge, i.e. own close to 5000 CDs w/ just over 3000 being classical - the non-classical, a mixture of jazz, blues, country, bluegrass, celtic, & popular music (mainly pre-50-60s singers); and a little 'rock' music from the 60s/70s.  But I must say that I've been mainly buying classical discs the last half dozen years - about the same amount of time that I've been a member of this forum!  ;D

P.S. I have no LPs or tapes - went 'cold turkey' w/ those formats after buying my first CD player, Christmas time in 1984 -  :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Franco on September 15, 2010, 11:39:56 AM
But are there any Beach Boys discs?  Not for the faint of heart.

I can still find the spot showing the indentation in the earth where my jaw dropped when I read a blog post of Sandow's implying that Pet Sounds was High Art, je-je-je!

Franco

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2010, 11:48:06 AM
I can still find the spot showing the indentation in the earth where my jaw dropped when I read a blog post of Sandow's implying that Pet Sounds was High Art, je-je-je!

Well, I have been a huge BBs fan, having listened to their music since I was a wee lad - and love Pet Sounds - but Sandow can take his cultural relativism too far at times - make that, most of the time.

Elgarian

Quote from: Franco on September 15, 2010, 11:39:56 AM
But are there any Beach Boys discs?
Somewhere in the house (I know not where, and am not troubled by the lack of knowledge), there is a copy of Pet Sounds.

However, if you're going to lead with the Beach Boys, I think I may be able to trump you with Dion and the Belmonts.

karlhenning

Of course, Zappa had always a soft spot for doo-wop, so we might be daring and cite The Moonglows and The Penguins . . . .

MN Dave

Elgarian

karlhenning

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2010, 12:09:23 PM
He was just laboring with the flu, poor chap.
I didn't realise he'd been ill.

Try Dion and the Belmonts, Dave. That'll put a stop to any silly nonsense about convalescing.

MN Dave

Quote from: Elgarian on September 15, 2010, 12:20:14 PM
I didn't realise he'd been ill.

Try Dion and the Belmonts, Dave. That'll put a stop to any silly nonsense about convalescing.

I have plenty of that sorta thing.  :)

Elgarian

Quote from: MN Dave on September 15, 2010, 12:32:25 PM
I have plenty of that sorta thing.  :)
Dup, dup, woahahahawoh, .... keep away from Runaround Sue ....

It's such excellent advice for anyone recovering from the flu.

MN Dave

Quote from: Elgarian on September 15, 2010, 12:36:32 PM
Dup, dup, woahahahawoh, .... keep away from Runaround Sue ....

It's such excellent advice for anyone recovering from the flu.

Being a Dylan fan, you must have gone back further into the history of American music.

Elgarian

Quote from: MN Dave on September 15, 2010, 12:39:33 PM
Being a Dylan fan, you must have gone back further into the history of American music.
Not much further than fifties Elvis, I think. I enjoy Bob much more than I enjoy his sources, and while I believe him when he tells me that nobody can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell, I can't really see that for myself.)

MN Dave

Quote from: Elgarian on September 15, 2010, 12:47:33 PM
Not much further than fifties Elvis, I think. I enjoy Bob much more than I enjoy his sources, and while I believe him when he tells me that nobody can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell, I can't really see that for myself.)

Bummer.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MN Dave on September 15, 2010, 11:59:40 AM
I can't think of many CDs I want anymore.

I said the same thing to myself circa 1995...and here I am, fifteen years later and 3000 CDs richer  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Elgarian on September 15, 2010, 12:47:33 PM

Well, impossible to understand the emergence of Rock & Roll w/o some knowledge & listening experience to those singing & playing in the preceding decades of the early 20th century -  :-\

Back in the late 1980s, my son (then 15 or 16 y/o) and I became interested in the blues, particularly the early pioneers and the history; so we took a trip (w/o Susan) to Mississippi - flew into Memphis, rented a car and did one-nighters down to Vicksburg and then up the river to Clarksdale w/ a final 2 nights at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis (which included a visit to Sun Studios & Graceland).

Well, early I bought a cassette tape of Mississippi John Hurt's 1928 Okeh recordings (has been re-mastered many times now on CD and the latest version is phenomenal) - now, I had heard of this guy but our first listening experience; first mellow voice and guitar licks just blew us away - it sounded like Dylan!  When we returned home, I'd play that tape for others and tell them that it was Bob's father - often their was a hesitation -  ;D

MN Dave

Quote from: SonicMan on September 15, 2010, 03:18:43 PM
Well, early I bought a cassette tape of Mississippi John Hurt's 1928 Okeh recordings (has been re-mastered many times now on CD and the latest version is phenomenal) - now, I had heard of this guy but our first listening experience; first mellow voice and guitar licks just blew us away - it sounded like Dylan!  When we returned home, I'd play that tape for others and tell them that it was Bob's father - often their was a hesitation -  ;D

I don't think MJH sounds much like Dylan but I will say that's one of my favorite recordings--ever.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on September 15, 2010, 05:52:19 AM
hmm, I notice you say 7000 classical cds. that sounds slightly selective, hmm?? are you leaving other musics out?? how many cds in TOTAL do you have??

(prepare for shocking number)

I'm not sure what the total is, snyprr, but I guess it may look something like this:

7,000 - classical
5,000 - jazz
3,000 - rock