Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: erato on January 03, 2011, 09:16:18 AM
Haven't bought a single CD all year! What about you?

I've been bad. I bought three CDs worth of Simpson string quartets yesterday  >:D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

I'm still a good boy but I feel a breakdown approaching. Any more naughties out there?

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 03, 2011, 09:22:21 AM
I've been bad. I bought three CDs worth of Simpson string quartets yesterday  >:D

Hyperion "please buy me" offerings?

snyprrr

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 03, 2011, 09:22:21 AM

Sarge

Ohhh,...you ARE bad!!! ;D mm mm mm

snyprrr

Quote from: erato on January 03, 2011, 09:16:18 AM
Haven't bought a single CD all year! What about you?

haha, you should have seen me on the 31st, haha

Noooo,... haha, I knew this was coming. I see all y'all are just as CDCDCD as me. Yes, I've been a very, very good boy so far. And, I have tricked myself, like a neutered dog, so I don't even remember if there was anyth....

oh :'(,... gulp,... I,...I think,... I think it's happening :o

no,...back,...no,... NO :-\NOOOOOOOOOOOO

::),... no, I'm ok so far, but yes, IT is lurking out there, isn't it? Waiting,... waiting,... for YOU! :o

snyprrr

ok people, the first meeting of the year of CDCDCD will now come to order

Let me share my experience, strength, and hope for the Newcomber, who wearily has trudged into this Sacred Place of Healing from, more likely, a severe bout of Holiday CD Spending,... on THEMSELVES!!!

Oh you selfish bastards! :-* >:D

We already have evidence that some Members here have already Relapsed so soon after, probably, making vows not to buy a cd from, what? 40 days? ::) Three months? A week?

You couldn't make it a week? >:( uh, I'm disgusted! ;D

Thankfully, I have learned to shop BEFORE Dec.31, so that, like today, I will get something in the mail, that my greedy, ravaged fingers can tear open like a pack of ravening hyenas. Oh!,... that feeling,...mmmm,....oh yes,....oh,....oh yessss, yes YESSSSSS!!!!!!

???

(smoking)

ok, as I was saying,... as I'm expecting stuff in the mail, it will give me the time I need to give me my next strategy om how to deal with The Pangs,... when,...and if they come.

(looks around nervously)

shhh,... did you hear that ??????

Mirror Image

This year I'm going to try and buy less CDs. It's hard for someone with my condition, but I need to seriously back off of it for awhile or at least until I get my tax return. :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on January 03, 2011, 12:20:17 PM
Hyperion "please buy me" offerings?

Two of the CDs, yes, from Hyperion. The third from an amazon seller.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2011, 07:33:32 PM
This year I'm going to try and buy less CDs. It's hard for someone with my condition, but I need to seriously back off of it for awhile or at least until I get my tax return. :D

::) ::) ::)

;D ;D ;D

Gurn Blanston

My name is Gurn, and I am a disk-a-holic.... :(

OK, well I have only bought 3 umm, 4 oh wait, 7 so far this year, and none since the 2nd, and look, it's already the 4th! I need help, it's true... :'(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Gurn, when you wake up, pledge that you won't make any purchases before noon.  Then when noon comes, and you see that you've gone all morning without making a purchase . . . pledge that you won't make any purchases before six o'clock.  Then when six o'clock comes, and you see that you've gone all morning and all afternoon without making a purchase . . . pledge that you won't make any purchases that evening.

Baby steps, Gurn!

snyprrr

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 04, 2011, 10:02:14 AM

OK, well I have only bought 3 umm, 4 oh wait, 7 so far this year, and none since the 2nd, and look, it's already the 4th! I need help, it's true... :'(

8)

Oh Gurn. :-X You're gonna get an abscess.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 04, 2011, 10:06:17 AM
Gurn, when you wake up, pledge that you won't make any purchases before noon.  Then when noon comes, and you see that you've gone all morning without making a purchase . . . pledge that you won't make any purchases before six o'clock.  Then when six o'clock comes, and you see that you've gone all morning and all afternoon without making a purchase . . . pledge that you won't make any purchases that evening.

Baby steps, Gurn!

Oh, it sounds so simple, Karl.... :-\

Quote from: snyprrr on January 04, 2011, 10:08:12 AM
Oh Gurn. :-X You're gonna get an abscess.

Gonna get? When this bastard pops, it'll be ugly! :o :o

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 04, 2011, 10:13:27 AM

Gurn, where the will must be exercised athwart our inclinations, there's nothing simple about it at all, at all.

snyprrr

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 04, 2011, 10:13:27 AM

Gonna get? When this bastard pops, it'll be ugly! :o :o

8)

1) Make a list of all the COMPLETED parts of your 'project'.

2) Separate different 'projects' into 'blocks'. For therapy, I suggest you put these blocks in piles on the floor, as many piles as you need to make sense of the blocks.

3) Separate also orchestral, chamber, and so forth, and list all COMPLETED parts.

4) Put 'fake', empty jewel boxes in the places where the ones you 'need' will go (when you get to them), so you CAN see what your Final Masterpiece will look like without having to literally HAVE all the cds at once.

5) Make sure to buy things you don't want, but NEED. If some frivolous thing will complete an entire block of stuff, get it, so you can sleep at night and spend more time 'plotting' and less time actually buying.

6) Even when binging, ALWAYS get some things you don't want, but keep putting off.

7) Or, somehow manage to convince yourself you don't need it. It has actually worked for me. Of course, listening to samples has been a boon.

8) Don't torture yourself over things that are outrageously expensive. Set a per-cd limit on how much you would spend. I won't spend $60 on one cd anymore.

9) Buy used.

10) Give yourself a break. Read Ecclesiastes. Get some sleep.

Harry

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 04, 2011, 10:02:14 AM

8)

I don't even know if disk-a-holic could be applied to me, I have bought more than 600 CD'S in 2010, and I am very much afraid, that 2011 will generate even more.
A resolution to buy no more meets with a lot of resistance, that comes from within, and seems to lead a totally separate life.

PaulSC

Quote from: Harry on January 04, 2011, 11:17:58 PM

I don't even know if disk-a-holic could be applied to me, I have bought more than 600 CD'S in 2010, and I am very much afraid, that 2011 will generate even more.
A resolution to buy no more meets with a lot of resistance, that comes from within, and seems to lead a totally separate life.
box-a-holic?  ;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: snyprrr on January 04, 2011, 09:53:48 PM
8) Don't torture yourself over things that are outrageously expensive. Set a per-cd limit on how much you would spend. I won't spend $60 on one cd anymore.

I suppose $35 (plus shipping and handling from Taiwan) for the Seven Last Words played by the Festetics, it would be acceptable, Dr. snyprrr?  :-\

The new erato

I'm still a 2011 virgin, though these arrived yesterday, they were ordered and sent in 2010:

I'm saving money for what may be a big, bad breakdown, you will know more in a week.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: erato on January 05, 2011, 01:43:05 AM
I'm saving money for what may be a big, bad breakdown, you will know more in a week.

Abeille Musique?  :)