Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

When I consider that post I know I should consider C. S. Lewis' advise... but I don't... I need a digest version... ;D

Lethevich

I kinda wish I had the condition described by many in this thread: accumilation, but enjoying adding to the collection.

I like buying stuff - it's nice - and I amass a lot of CDs, but once I have them in my hands I rapidly find that I do very little with them and they become pointless trinkets that I wish I could be rid of. A bizarre and self-defeating cycle.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DavidW

Lethe, it sounds like streaming from nml might be more up your alley if you're not doing alot of repeats in your listening.

Lethevich

Indeedie! I need to get past this silly sound quality fixation. Even in historical recordings I strongly prefer lossless even where it offers no discernable difference ::)

DavidW

One site that I've used in the past has 320k streaming.  Alas it really does not have the classical catalog that nml has.  You know for how much they charge, they should throw in a lossless option, that would be awesome!! :)

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on June 16, 2011, 04:08:26 PM
One site that I've used in the past has 320k streaming.  Alas it really does not have the classical catalog that nml has.  You know for how much they charge, they should throw in a lossless option, that would be awesome!! :)
They do have a "CD Quality" option but it seems to be only for institutions that can pay through the nose...

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on June 17, 2011, 02:01:50 AM
They do have a "CD Quality" option but it seems to be only for institutions that can pay through the nose...

Oh the 128k streaming?  That is what I've paid for.  I think it's worth the extra money,  64k is just not enough for me. :)

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on June 17, 2011, 05:34:25 AM
Oh the 128k streaming?  That is what I've paid for.  I think it's worth the extra money,  64k is just not enough for me. :)
64 they market as "FM Quality"
128 they market as "Near CD"
The CD one is greyed out for me. :(

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on June 17, 2011, 05:39:20 AM
64 they market as "FM Quality"
128 they market as "Near CD"
The CD one is greyed out for me. :(

Oh okay... there is a higher bit one!  Oh man I want that... wait you are at a school... guess it doesn't subscribe...

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on June 17, 2011, 05:40:21 AM
Oh okay... there is a higher bit one!  Oh man I want that... wait you are at a school... guess it doesn't subscribe...

I might be illegally using a different school's login to avoid the Historical labels' copyright restrictions. Ssshhh!

snyprrr

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 16, 2011, 01:03:36 PM
I kinda wish I had the condition described by many in this thread: accumilation, but enjoying adding to the collection.

I like buying stuff - it's nice - and I amass a lot of CDs, but once I have them in my hands I rapidly find that I do very little with them and they become pointless trinkets that I wish I could be rid of. A bizarre and self-defeating cycle.

Hmmm,... you're in total denial. You most certainly have CDCDCD, but a virulent sub-form of it. mm mm mm It seems you have  'cd wrapper syndrome', where your fingers feel the new cd, and rip it open, but once you have 'violated' said 'victim', you are 'over it' and seek the next one.

mm mm mm

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on June 17, 2011, 05:55:37 AM
Hmmm,... you're in total denial. You most certainly have CDCDCD, but a virulent sub-form of it. mm mm mm It seems you have  'cd wrapper syndrome', where your fingers feel the new cd, and rip it open, but once you have 'violated' said 'victim', you are 'over it' and seek the next one.

mm mm mm

Yes, I agree - a sad case  ;D

As for 'rip [the CD] open' - that is easier said than done. It is be no means easy to 'rip open' a CD. I have been apoplectic with rage trying to get the protective wrapper off a new CD. I have even used a kitchen knife (as in 'Psycho'), on occasion, to assist me - invariably the hinges break off in the process - it is infuriating. To cheer myself up I have to order a new CD and the ghastly cycle continues....
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 16, 2011, 11:58:35 AM
This is not working. I am not mashing the BUY ME link!

(Yet . . . .)

All right, I have yielded to the inevitability of Xenakis!

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on June 17, 2011, 06:13:37 AM

As for 'rip [the CD] open' - that is easier said than done. It is be no means easy to 'rip open' a CD. I have been apoplectic with rage trying to get the protective wrapper off a new CD. I have even used a kitchen knife (as in 'Psycho'), on occasion, to assist me - invariably the hinges break off in the process - it is infuriating. To cheer myself up I have to order a new CD and the ghastly cycle continues....

The worst ones are from the USA as they come with some sort of 'securiy device' sticker that is virtually impossible to remove.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 17, 2011, 07:10:22 AM
All right, I have yielded to the inevitability of Xenakis!

I was waiting for a purchases today post but it never happened! :D

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on June 17, 2011, 01:59:57 PM
I was waiting for a purchases today post but it never happened! :D

I've ordered two Xenakis discs . . . one should arrive sometime next week, maybe both . . . .

DaveF

As for 'rip [the CD] open' - that is easier said than done... I have even used a kitchen knife (as in 'Psycho'), on occasion, to assist me - invariably the hinges break off in the process - it is infuriating.

I find as a (very bad) guitarist that the elongated fingernails of the right index or second finger are quite good for puncturing the film over the crack where the case opens up.  It's worth the endless hours of slaving over a 6-stringed instrument of mental torture to culvate such nails.  (And I'm told the guitar is easy compared with the lute - imagination fails me...)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

snyprrr

Quote from: DaveF on June 18, 2011, 10:04:17 AM
I find as a (very bad) guitarist that the elongated fingernails of the right index or second finger are quite good for puncturing the film over the crack where the case opens up.  It's worth the endless hours of slaving over a 6-stringed instrument of mental torture to culvate such nails.  (And I'm told the guitar is easy compared with the lute - imagination fails me...)

Oi, I've been trying to get GuitarNails my whole life! ??? nom nom nom munch munch munch nom nom nom

Try bloody stumps, haha...

See, we're all the same,... in this Thread at least, haha!

Yes, I don't 'rip' anymore. I have learned respect. I use a knife edge between the jewel case cover and the tray tab,... just enough to open it, and THEN!! I destroy like a five year old on christmas, haha!

Back in the day, I would ever so carefully try to get the cd out of the wrapper without breaking the wrapper, so if I didn't like said cd, I could simply slide it back into the wrapper, super glue it back together, and trot on back to Tower to exchange. oh, that's funny now, haha...

Lethevich

After going to JPC, and filling my basket with more and more sale things that I wanted I reached the point where I found I wanted around £300 worth of items, and couldn't manage to cull it down to below £100 so I just closed the window. Bleh.

kishnevi

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 03, 2011, 05:06:27 PM
After going to JPC, and filling my basket with more and more sale things that I wanted I reached the point where I found I wanted around £300 worth of items, and couldn't manage to cull it down to below £100 so I just closed the window. Bleh.

Good for you.  I am trying to keep myself from ordering anything for another week,  so it won't show up until the next credit card bill,  but while the flesh is willing, the spirit is rather weak.    I did order two things in the last couple of days, and bought a third at the only mall CD store in the area. but the two orders are only $50 and I paid cash for the b&m, so I'm telling myself they won't matter.  What's paying a $950 credit card bill if you already have to pay $900 anyway?  (Not all of it is CDs.  Just way too much of it.)