Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 18, 2011, 09:51:54 AM
. . . It's where to put it all!

Sarge

My dear chap, that's it!  Musically, I should be interested in a second set, but out of mere space considerations, my dear missus would certainly query, really, who needs more than one complete set of Haydn trios? : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 18, 2011, 09:51:54 AM
Don't I know it. I bought one Kuijken symphony disc. Thought that would suffice. But    :-[  ...the rest are now enroute. And really, who needs more than one complete set of Haydn trios? Really, who? ...and yet, the 1790 box has now been ordered. For me it's not about the money. It's where to put it all!

Sarge

Quote from: karlhenning on December 19, 2011, 05:23:59 AM
My dear chap, that's it!  Musically, I should be interested in a second set, but out of mere space considerations, my dear missus would certainly query, really, who needs more than one complete set of Haydn trios? : )

Really! ::) ;D

Weeeeeeeeeeell,... on second thought, if it's the Beaux...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on December 19, 2011, 05:23:59 AM....but out of mere space considerations, my dear missus would certainly query

Oh, Mrs. Rock mentions that with each new purchase. And where are you going to put it? says she with an exasperated look as I sheepishly lower my head and mumble, I don't know. Sigh, says she as she calls my CDCDCD sponsor.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: snyprrr on December 19, 2011, 07:52:31 AM
Weeeeeeeeeeell,... on second thought, if it's the Beaux...

Dammit, snyprrr, don't mention them. It'll make me crave a third complete set.

Sarge

snyprrr

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2011, 12:23:46 PM
Oh, Mrs. Rock mentions that with each new purchase. And where are you going to put it? says she with an exasperated look as I sheepishly lower my head and mumble, I don't know. Sigh, says she as she calls my CDCDCD sponsor.

Sarge

She's calling your sponsor? No no no, she needs to go to CDCDCDCD (Co-Dependent Compulsive Disassociate CD Collecting Disease!). That's FOUR CDs!!,... so,... go on, go buy yourself four more cds and then you can blame it on her! See how easy that was, tee hee!! :P :o ;D ???

snyprrr

btw- my bank account is so screwed up now, I can't figure out my true balance, so I had to just put a few more dollars in there just... to... be... sure.

Just... to be sure.

It's... only... JUST to be sure.

...Is that someone outside the curtains?...
:o :o :o

Mirror Image

My main problem is I can't get my brain to tell my hand to stop clicking on Amazon. :)

Conor71

So... the plan is next year to not buy any CD's whatsoever! The main reasons for this are that I want to save money to get Married (already promised the g/f this would happen!  :D ) and I already have tons of Music.. much more than I can listen to regularly!
I hope I will not be eating my words in a couple of weeks, as this has happened before, but we will see this time!  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on December 23, 2011, 08:18:12 PM
So... the plan is next year to not buy any CD's whatsoever! The main reasons for this are that I want to save money to get Married (already promised the g/f this would happen!  :D ) and I already have tons of Music.. much more than I can listen to regularly!
I hope I will not be eating my words in a couple of weeks, as this has happened before, but we will see this time!  ;D

Allow me congratulate you on your commitment to get married. If you love the woman, which you obviously do, then marriage is the only natural step. I wish many years of happiness.

By the way, I hear you on the CD buying thing. I hope to hold out at least until April or May, because there are already some good things going to be released January-April. I hope I don't eat my words either. :D

Conor71

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2011, 08:25:22 PM
Allow me congratulate you on your commitment to get married. If you love the woman, which you obviously do, then marriage is the only natural step. I wish many years of happiness.

By the way, I hear you on the CD buying thing. I hope to hold out at least until April or May, because there are already some good things going to be released January-April. I hope I don't eat my words either. :D

Thanks for the well-wishes MI  :D  - it's going to be pretty tough holding out on buying stuff as there are always so many cool box-sets coming out! *gulps*  ;D

The new erato

But I mean; in the dilemma where are you going to put it vs where are you going to put it all, it seems clear who should win, doesn't it? ;)

Congrats!!!1

Jared

Hi GMGers....

Do you have one of those infamous 'to be listened to' shelves which contains a pile of CDs you have recently purchased, but haven't as yet gotten around to listening to?  I'm sure most of us have, to some degree or other...

Well, I have come to the conclusion that mine is quite simply getting out of hand... I have 73 unlistened to CDs sat on the shelf, which in all probability is going to last me until the other side of Easter, assuming that I don't buy anything else before then! (Some chance!)

I really need to work this pile down to respectable levels in the New Year...  ???

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Jared on December 24, 2011, 02:17:31 AM
Hi GMGers....

Do you have one of those infamous 'to be listened to' shelves which contains a pile of CDs you have recently purchased, but haven't as yet gotten around to listening to?  I'm sure most of us have, to some degree or other...

Well, I have come to the conclusion that mine is quite simply getting out of hand... I have 73 unlistened to CDs sat on the shelf, which in all probability is going to last me until the other side of Easter, assuming that I don't buy anything else before then! (Some chance!)

I really need to work this pile down to respectable levels in the New Year...  ???

73?  ;D ;D ;D ;D :P
Your lucky, so little in your listening que!

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Okay for the fun of it,  give or take a few 800 cd's in the to listening pile. :o
With Erato that will be a bit more I guess.

Jared

The new erato

I see before me 200 unlistened to Haydn CD's.......more or less all of the Brilliant box (I've managed 5 or 6) and more or less the complete Dorati symphonies (I've managed about 3 discs), the 70 CD Callas collection, Pinnocks Mozart symphonies, about 70 CDs worth of Brilliant Russian Legends, the 80 CD Universal Verdi set, Scott Ross' complete Scarlatti, the 34 CD Liszt set from DG (I've managed 5 discs), the 30 CD Britten box (I've managed 2 discs), the 21 CD EMI Furtwangler, the 37 CD Plasson set of french music (I'm making inroads), the 50 CD aniiversary set from the Liege Philharmonic (of which I'm concentrating on the Flemish composers), Brendels complete Beethoven, Perahia's Mozart ..... OK; I haven't all day, these are just some of the major eyesores at a quick glance.

I see a collection as a library to be enjoyed at will. On the bright side I'm just about finishing the 10 CD Victoria set and the 10 CD set of Rheinberger piano music.  And the 5 CD EMI set of Bliss has been a major revelation. 1 disc to go....

Currently concentrating on Danish music post Nielsen, after that I have a few sets of baroque opera I want to listen to.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Conor71 on December 23, 2011, 08:29:04 PM

Thanks for the well-wishes MI  :D  - it's going to be pretty tough holding out on buying stuff as there are always so many cool box-sets coming out! *gulps*  ;D

I know...and box sets keep getting cheaper. I just saw the Pires Mozart Sonata box going for €19.99!!! That's the last thing I need but, man, is that tempting.

Sarge

Jared

Quote from: The new erato on December 24, 2011, 02:47:42 AM
I see before me 200 unlistened to Haydn CD's.......more or less all of the Brilliant box (I've managed 5 or 6) and more or less the complete Dorati symphonies (I've managed about 3 discs), the 70 CD Callas collection, Pinnocks Mozart symphonies, about 70 CDs worth of Brilliant Russian Legends, the 80 CD Universal Verdi set, Scott Ross' complete Scarlatti, the 34 CD Liszt set from DG (I've managed 5 discs), the 30 CD Britten box (I've managed 2 discs), the 21 CD EMI Furtwangler, the 37 CD Plasson set of french music (I'm making inroads), the 50 CD aniiversary set from the Liege Philharmonic (of which I'm concentrating on the Flemish composers), Brendels complete Beethoven, Perahia's Mozart ..... OK; I haven't all day, these are just some of the major eyesores at a quick glance.

I see a collection as a library to be enjoyed at will. On the bright side I'm just about finishing the 10 CD Victoria set and the 10 CD set of Rheinberger piano music.  And the 5 CD EMI set of Bliss has been a major revelation. 1 disc to go....

Currently concentrating on Danish music post Nielsen, after that I have a few sets of baroque opera I want to listen to.

all I can say is that that's incredible... a lifetime's enjoyment at your fingertips, in one very room!   8)

I think I must go about things quite differently to most people...

I take random themes, usually in blocks of 7 or 8 CDs at a times, say Renaissance, Schubert Chamber, Classical Oratorios, Mozart Piano Sonatas per se...

then listen to every CD through *at least* 6 times, before putting them into my main library...  they will then come back out several months down the line for one or two revision listens, to make sure it's gone in.

I have usually got a couple of 'projects' on the go at any one time... so say the Renaissance disks may have had 5 listens through, the Schubert will have had 3 and the Oratorios 1 listen, with the Mozart Piano Sonatas up next, when the Renaissance project has been completed... every so often, there is then a breathing space for Revision, when a particular set of Beethoven Violin Sonatas which I listened to back in September, will come back out for another hearing.

I've been working with this system for quite some time, and find it works for me and the way I digest music... although I appreciate it won't be for everybody...

The new erato

I've been at it for close to 40 years. I tend to take things slightly thematically too, these big sets are just icing on the cake (and so cheap that I can afford not too listen at everything, the Britten box eg was mainly bought to fill in holes in my already quite representative Britten collection). As for new recordings of basic repertoire I seldom listen to them more than a couple of times, as I already know "the basics" pretty thoroughly.