Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 16, 2012, 06:47:12 AM
Well, we all love you  :)
Yes, except he said human "lovingkindess" (guess that's a word he made up). We're all very smart dogs, so we don't count.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greg on February 16, 2012, 06:57:20 AMWe're all very smart dogs

Quote from: karlhenning on February 16, 2012, 06:58:03 AM
Woof.

Bark Bark Bark Bark...

Sarge, the T.S. Eliot quoting dog
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

eyeresist

Mirror Image

I've been really experiencing some major CDCDCD lately. I'm so sick! :D

Recent purchases that have made my CDCDCD flair up:

-Stokowski: Icon, EMI, 10 CDs
-Shostakovich: Complete Symphonies, Kondrashin, Moscow Philharmonic, 11 CDs
-Panufnik: Orchestral Works, Vol. 4, Borowicz, CPO
-Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet, Ashkenazy, 2 CDs
-Prokofiev: Kuchar/Wit Naxos recordings - 10 CDs

DavidW

The cdcdcd flare up from this summer gave me such a huge list of cds it became a chore just to listen through them all!  No more. :D

Karl Henning

Zowie, and I thought you were digital only these days!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 17, 2012, 05:05:21 AM
The cdcdcd flare up from this summer gave me such a huge list of cds it became a chore just to listen through them all!  No more. :D

When it becomes a chore is when I take a break. Listening to music should never result in it being a chore. I have so many recordings filed away that I haven't even listened to and I'm not even worried about it. I'll get to them when I get to them. 8) This is my general attitude about CD collecting.

DavidW

Quote from: karlhenning on February 17, 2012, 05:06:48 AM
Zowie, and I thought you were digital only these days!

I am now.  I sold all my cds last fall. :)

snyprrr

Quote from: Greg on February 16, 2012, 06:57:20 AM
Yes, except he said human "lovingkindess" (guess that's a word he made up). We're all very smart dogs, so we don't count.

Haha... ah yes, euphemisms, euphemisms!! ;) Another s***** Valentine's Day in the can... oh, I feel like such a punk! ::),,, but, that's ANOTHER Thread! ;)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: snyprrr on February 18, 2012, 01:48:08 PM
Haha... ah yes, euphemisms, euphemisms!! ;) Another s***** Valentine's Day in the can... oh, I feel like such a punk! ::),,, but, that's ANOTHER Thread! ;)
Don't worry about it. I haven't had a "good" Valentine's Day in my life. If you've had one, that's more than me.
Just don't make women important and you'll be fine. Or you can try having crushing depression, which automatically makes women (and everything else) unimportant.

Ataraxia

I need to cut back on purchases but have not yet found a good way to do so. I was out of it for a while there but now I'm back in big time. I have Spotify but that doesn't stop me from buying downloads or discs.

Ugh.

nico1616

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2012, 07:16:37 AM
When it becomes a chore is when I take a break. Listening to music should never result in it being a chore. I have so many recordings filed away that I haven't even listened to and I'm not even worried about it. I'll get to them when I get to them. 8) This is my general attitude about CD collecting.

An attitude I would like to have, but it worries me that some of my cd's will never get listened to ::)
Box sets are especially tricky: so attractive, but hopeless once you have them. The 50 cds of the Decca sound or the Bernsteins 60cd symphony set are treasures, but how will I ever get through them? Where will I find the time when my collection keeps growing?
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: nico1616 on February 27, 2012, 08:34:37 AMWhere will I find the time when my collection keeps growing?

You won't find the time. You'll die alone in a room littered with unheard, possibly unwrapped, CDs.

My confession: after promising myself that I'd cut back this year, I recently bought my thirteenth Ring cycle (total Ring CDs now stands at 182) and seventh Prokofiev symphony cycle (Rozhestvensky).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

nico1616

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 27, 2012, 09:02:47 AM
You won't find the time. You'll die alone in a room littered with unheard, possibly unwrapped, CDs.

My confession: after promising myself that I'd cut back this year, I recently bought my thirteenth Ring cycle (total Ring CDs now stands at 182) and seventh Prokofiev symphony cycle (Rozhestvensky).

Sarge

At least you will know every note of the Ring!
I have 3 complete Mahler cycles and several individual recordings and I only know the 1st and 6th well...
I should buy stop buying new versions of works that I already own and do not know yet  ::)
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.