Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

I'm reformed, I tell yaz!

Haven't bought a new LP since .... well ... since they (basically) stopped makin' 'em.

Classical purchases for many years have been CD's.

BUT I GOT IT UNDER CONTROL!  I'm like Yosemite Sam post-Bugs Bunny.  "I got it licked, rabbit!"   :-\
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on March 05, 2012, 04:31:20 PM
I'm reformed, I tell yaz!

Haven't bought a new LP since .... well ... since they (basically) stopped makin' 'em.

Classical purchases for many years have been CD's.

BUT I GOT IT UNDER CONTROL!  I'm like Yosemite Sam post-Bugs Bunny.  "I got it licked, rabbit!"   :-\

Me too! 24 hours and counting. Don't mind that little twitch, it gooees awawaway .....  usually after a visit to Ammaaaz...... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scion7

And those two used, mint jazz LP's I bought at Papa Jazz in Columbia last month don't count.

Neither do those Ltd. edition Deep Purple Anniversary Edition LP's.

And I most certainly DO NOT COUNT those two vinyl Bruckner's I got by Haitink at a used book store in 2007 !!!!

:'(
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on March 05, 2012, 04:48:50 PM
And those two used, mint jazz LP's I bought at Papa Jazz in Columbia last month don't count.

Neither do those Ltd. edition Deep Purple Anniversary Edition LP's.

And I most certainly DO NOT COUNT those two vinyl Bruckner's I got by Haitink at a used book store in 2007 !!!!

:'(

Oh, I completely agree with you. The jazz and the Deep Purple are mandatory purchases, thus not covered by the "discretionary clause" of the definition. And 'used' disks are exempt by their very nature; that was a mercy rescue situation that couldn't be passed up by any music lover with a heart. So it seems you are really, really on the road to recovery!   Congratulations!  BTW, I saw a great sale on Philips Complete Mozart Edition sets, I'll see you there!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on March 05, 2012, 04:31:20 PMBUT I GOT IT UNDER CONTROL!  I'm like Yosemite Sam post-Bugs Bunny.  "I got it licked, rabbit!"   :-\

One of the many warning signs of CDCDCD: complete denial. ;) :D

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 05, 2012, 05:45:34 PM
One of the many warning signs of CDCDCD: complete denial. ;) :D
CDCDCDCDCD
Complete Denial of Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease of Complete Discographies...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on March 05, 2012, 06:52:21 PM
CDCDCDCDCD
Complete Denial of Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease of Complete Discographies...

:P

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on March 05, 2012, 06:52:21 PM
CDCDCDCDCD

Hahahaha awesome! :D

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on March 05, 2012, 04:19:16 PM

Since last summer, I have only bought two CD's - an Enescu piano quartets and a Bacewicz et al woodwind set.

This man's good taste is its own reward. See people, if you are on this level of purchasing, you have already traipsed through the brambles and are on your way to on high! Notice how he didn't say 'Bernstein Box' or 'EMI Opera Box' or any such thing.

I know what it must have taken for you, having found myself squaring off against that Bacewicz cd a good while back. It's an odd label, right? Well, if you're considering something like that, you probably aren't going to be getting caught up in 39 Mahler 9ths.

I... presume. :o

I must say that I just can't seem to care about getting anything right now. I REALLY realize that I have enough music to last a 'normal' person's lifetime...

yeah....ok, don't get me wrong,  ;D I loooove NEW STUFF... YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

but, I can REMEMBER when everything was new, and many of these recordings still pack the required frisson.

I know it's easy to fall into 'rabbit holes', new interests that bring on a 'crackhead' like need for completion of the task at hand. Currently, I feel like I sit on top of the mountain, no needs or wants, but to further the relationship with those that I already have.

I suppose I can now claim three months purchase free. I guess it feels good, but then, this isn't an AA meeting!

Is it??? :o

Either way, you're NOT getting a chip!! ;) ;D

Hey, 'compulsion', if it's NOT a 'disease', well, sure can feel like one. I'm sure myself and many others here have actually 'suffered' in this silly game of materialismo... I know I can only speak for myself. I'm not saying I've broken out in hives over a cd, but... now... that... I think about it...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Greg on March 05, 2012, 11:52:21 PM
CDCDCDCDCD

(* applause *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

nico1616

Quote from: karlhenning on March 06, 2012, 04:45:11 AM
Quote from: Greg on March 05, 2012, 11:52:21 PM
CDCDCDCDCD

(* applause *)

I have given up on box sets and complete discographies. I still have 50 of the 60 cds of the Bernstein symphony set to listen to and 30 of the 50 of the Decca sound box ::) Like a mountain I will never get over...

Now only single cds in my shopping basket. Problem is they are so cheap on the amazon.co.uk used market that I can not stop buying them  :-\

Nico
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: nico1616 on March 12, 2012, 11:06:13 AM
I have given up on box sets and complete discographies. I still have 50 of the 60 cds of the Bernstein symphony set to listen to and 30 of the 50 of the Decca sound box ::) Like a mountain I will never get over...

Now only single cds in my shopping basket. Problem is they are so cheap on the amazon.co.uk used market that I can not stop buying them  :-\

Nico

You figure it's people bailing out and going digital? I think there will be a period there where there is an abundance, and if you want CD's, that will be the time to get them. After that, who knows?

I haven't ever really gone the route of Big Boxes anyway, and never discographies, but I do collect the 'Complete Works of Xxxxxx', usually 1 disk at a time. I have the Haydn Big Box, but that was the exception, since it actually contained some things that couldn't be bought separately.

I expect that one day I will get rid of half of my disks, but will keep the core set of my Top 4 composers as actual CD's.

8)

nico1616

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 12, 2012, 11:30:47 AM
You figure it's people bailing out and going digital? I think there will be a period there where there is an abundance, and if you want CD's, that will be the time to get them.

I expect that one day I will get rid of half of my disks, but will keep the core set of my Top 4 composers as actual CD's.

8)

I will never get rid of my cds. I still feel the same magic of that perfect sound, without a scratch, which I discovered in 1988 when I bought my first cd player.
There will always be an element of nostalgia, and I will gladly expand my collection if others want to get rid of it.

Now listening to Bernstein's Haydn symphonies 92 and 94 on DG which I bought for 0,01 pounds (2,12 euros including postage). Bargain of the year  :D
Keep them coming!!!

Nico
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: nico1616 on March 12, 2012, 11:50:18 AM
I will never get rid of my cds. I still feel the same magic of that perfect sound, without a scratch, which I discovered in 1988 when I bought my first cd player.
There will always be an element of nostalgia, and I will gladly expand my collection if others want to get rid of it.

Now listening to Bernstein's Haydn symphonies 92 and 94 on DG which I bought for 0,01 pounds (2,12 euros including postage). Bargain of the year  :D
Keep them coming!!!

Nico

Well, pretty much all of my CD's have been played once (to rip) and then stored. I don't know how many I have, between 4000 & 5000 would be a fair guess. I don't subscribe to the superiority of sound theory. FLAC is good enough for me. However, that is only if I rip it myself. :D   The reason I won't part with my Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert is not because of listening quality but simply to have relics of the bygone age... ;)

8)

nico1616

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 12, 2012, 12:03:14 PM
Well, pretty much all of my CD's have been played once (to rip) and then stored. I don't know how many I have, between 4000 & 5000 would be a fair guess. I don't subscribe to the superiority of sound theory. FLAC is good enough for me. However, that is only if I rip it myself. :D   The reason I won't part with my Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert is not because of listening quality but simply to have relics of the bygone age... ;)

8)

I thought FLAC quality was identical to cd quality? Relics of the bygone age, nicely said  :)
My cdcollection is about 2000 large, mostly opera. I love looking in the booklets and reading the liner notes while listening with the headphone. A shame that current recordings do not have those fat booklets anymore, some were a work of art  ;)

Nico

mc ukrneal

Quote from: nico1616 on March 12, 2012, 01:07:34 PM
I thought FLAC quality was identical to cd quality? Relics of the bygone age, nicely said  :)
My cdcollection is about 2000 large, mostly opera. I love looking in the booklets and reading the liner notes while listening with the headphone. A shame that current recordings do not have those fat booklets anymore, some were a work of art  ;)

Nico
Except Opera Rara. The booklets are usually very fine and of high quality.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

nico1616

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 12, 2012, 01:11:07 PM
Except Opera Rara. The booklets are usually very fine and of high quality.

That is true, and there are still some French labels (harmonia mundi, naïve) that invest in nice booklets.
But Opera Rara has the best of all  ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: nico1616 on March 12, 2012, 01:07:34 PM

Nico

It is. That's why I don't really need to keep the disks. Also, my scanner does a splendid job making PDF's out of booklets too. So I do have them. True, they lack that intimacy that touching alone provides.... :'(

8)

Mirror Image

I had another flare up. Now I've got these recordings on the way...

-Ravel: Piano Concerto in G, Daphnis et Chloe Suite No. 2, La Valse, Gary Bertini, M. Argerich, Cologne Radio Symphony, Hybrid SACD, Capriccio
-Debussy: La Mer, Nocturnes, etc., Gary Bertini, Cologne Radio Symphony, Hybrid SACD, Capriccio
-Mussorgsky: Khovanshchina, Claudio Abbado, Vienna State Opera Orchestra & Chorus, various soloists, 3-CDs, DG
-Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky, Lieutenant Kije, Andre Previn, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Telarc
-R. Strauss: Elektra, Solti, Vienna Philharmonic, 2-CDs, Decca
-R. Strauss: Elektra, Bohm, Staatskapelle Dresden, 2-CDs, DG
-R. Strauss: Salome, Solti, Vienna Philharmonic, 2-CDs, Decca
-R. Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten, Vienna State Opera Orch., 3-CDs, DG
-Bartok: The Miraculous Mandarin, Hungarian Sketches, etc., Antal Dorati, Zubin Mehta, Detroit Symphony, Los Angeles Philharmonic, 2-CDs, Decca
-Mahler: Symphonies Nos. 1-7, Claudio Abbado, Lucerne Festival Orchestra, 4-Blurays, Euroarts

nico1616

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 13, 2012, 09:28:30 PM
I had another flare up. Now I've got these recordings on the way...

-Mussorgsky: Khovanshchina, Claudio Abbado, Vienna State Opera Orchestra & Chorus, various soloists, 3-CDs, DG
-R. Strauss: Elektra, Solti, Vienna Philharmonic, 2-CDs, Decca

Two of the best  :D
The prelude on the Abbado recording alone is worth the price. Abbado's conducting is superb, and Haugland, Atlantov and Kotscherga are the standout singers for me.

The Solti Elektra has an energy unsurpassed in any recordings I know. But beware, you may feel to urge to split someone's head with an axe after listening to this recording  ;)

Nico