Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: nico1616 on March 14, 2012, 03:51:08 AM
Two of the best  :D
The prelude on the Abbado recording alone is worth the price. Abbado's conducting is superb, and Haugland, Atlantov and Kotscherga are the standout singers for me.

The Solti Elektra has an energy unsurpassed in any recordings I know. But beware, you may feel to urge to split someone's head with an axe after listening to this recording  ;)

Nico

DON'T ENABLE HIM!!! :o :o :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: nico1616 on March 14, 2012, 03:51:08 AM
Two of the best  :D
The prelude on the Abbado recording alone is worth the price. Abbado's conducting is superb, and Haugland, Atlantov and Kotscherga are the standout singers for me.

The Solti Elektra has an energy unsurpassed in any recordings I know. But beware, you may feel to urge to split someone's head with an axe after listening to this recording  ;)

Nico

This really good to hear, Nico! I've always wanted to hear more Mussorgsky outside of the usual suspects, so this seemed like the perfect work to do so. :) As for the Elektra, this is a work I've been drooling over for quite some time. I'm glad I have two performances of it on the way too. 8)

madaboutmahler

I would certainly have CDCDCD if I had more money....

;D

I may already have it, just look at my listening pile... some cds purchased many years ago I still haven't listened to, a Wagner Ring Cycle, two new Mahler cycles, and many many many many others....
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 14, 2012, 11:07:39 AM

;D

I may already have it, just look at my listening pile... some cds purchased many years ago I still haven't listened to, a Wagner Ring Cycle, two new Mahler cycles, and many many many many others....

I would certainly have more money if I didn't have CDCDCD...
Only 66 hours of music unlistened  :P
~Karlo
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

eyeresist

Quote from: North Star on March 14, 2012, 01:58:31 PMI would certainly have more money if I didn't have CDCDCD...
Only 66 hours of music unlistened  :P
~Karlo
It would be good for each poster to have a little horizontally-scrolling graph below their avatar, with a live update of how many hours of unlistened-to music they have in their collection.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: karlhenning on March 14, 2012, 11:14:40 AM
Alas, and so young, too . . . .
When I was younger, back in the day, we had to walk 16 miles in the snow to check out library CDs and made copies when we didn't have money. Nowadays, the moneyless newer generation has it too easy with this "youtube" and "downloads" and such...

snyprrr

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 14, 2012, 11:07:39 AM

;D

Soooo... now you're going to listen to them in the meantime, right? ??? They're still new... to you?

Please say yes. :-[ ;D

ok, I'll just say yes for you. Yes. There. Much better.Enjoy! :-*

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greg on March 14, 2012, 07:25:25 PM
When I was younger, back in the day, we had to walk 16 miles in the snow to check out library CDs...

Yeah, back in the days before Global Warming, those heavy snowfalls in Florida were a bitch   ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Perfect time in the conversation to bring this along:

http://www.youtube.com/v/VKHFZBUTA4k

This was from the pre-Python At Last the 1948 Show. Yes, that's Marty Feldman . . . and you can see Tim Brooke-Taylor struggling not to "corpse," as they'd say.

QuoteWe lived for three months in a rolled-up newspaper . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

springrite

Quote from: Greg on March 14, 2012, 07:25:25 PM
When I was younger, back in the day, we had to walk 16 miles in the snow to check out library CDs and made copies when we didn't have money.

Oh, did you steal the booklet? Leave them the cover page and take out the content which is what I did (which I am not proud of now, but was damn smart back then).
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

snyprrr

I have literally stolen cds from the Enoch Pratt,... only to return them in shame. :-[ I remember Lynn Harrell playing Schumann/Saint-Saens.

I'm sure I've declared before how I would carefully take cds out of their wrappers, listen, painstakingly return cd to wrapper, and return to tower. o\Or I would scratch and return (Rachmaninoff Trios/Beaux Arts).

I know I did my part to put Planet Music out of business. 8)

I don't know 'bout none of you other... fancy people, but I got into Classical Music through the Dickens! ::) ;D

Thankfully all this stuff wasn't around when I was a kid. I'll tell you that I walked into the mall bookstore when I was very yound, with an empty grocery bag, and walked out with all manner of books... not to read, mind you, but simply to have a Collection. On a trip to a relatives in the UK, I pilfered his SciFi Classics,... not to read, just to HAVE. ??? ??? ???

Now THAT's disease!!!! ;)

Seriously, I just went through the Library, and I am quite comfortable that I have listened to most everything within the year. Soon things, obviously, are written in the brain and don't really need to be played, and sometimes I hold off until I can spend a whole day with one particular Composer, but for the most part, I enjoy everything,... even the things I don't like i keep as learning aides. I have learned from my past NOT to have endless unopened/unexperienced 'things'. What is it that you're missing???

ARE CDS MATERIALISM?

You can't take "it" with you, but isn't the music you hear through cds something that you take with you. Do you take Barber's Adagio (for instance,... it's so 'popular' everyone  knows it) "with you"?

...nevermind ::)...

Karl Henning

Obviously a very special case here:

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 15, 2012, 06:11:23 PM
I've actually bought both Britten opera sets twice and cancelled my orders. I really need to make a committment here! :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Seriously? I feel like going to the bank and depositing some cd cash.

I just want... SOMETHING! AHHH... just something. :'(

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 15, 2012, 05:25:01 AM
Yeah, back in the days before Global Warming, those heavy snowfalls in Florida were a bitch   ;D

Sarge
Yes, they were. Almost as bad as the daily summer blizzards in Brazil and Hawaii.

Quote from: springrite on March 15, 2012, 09:43:37 AM
Oh, did you steal the booklet? Leave them the cover page and take out the content which is what I did (which I am not proud of now, but was damn smart back then).
;D
I never did, but if I had my own scanner back then, I would have scanned them. It would have been a good idea, because now, it would be nice to have them. For one, if I ever wanted to learn, for example, German or French, there are tons of CD booklets with the translations in English; interesting reading + English translation = very useful for learning. 

snyprrr

OK, TECHNICALLY, I made my first purchase of the year, but, as has been stated before, it was on Ebay, so it doesn't REALLY count (because there really is no 'free will' when it comes to Ebay: you HAVE to bid on what's there, not what you wish,... and, of course, you will usually get unavailable stuff for cheap... soooo...).

I got the first two items, which are totally unavailable, and was looking to pick up a couple of other cheap deals, when I... spend $6.66 :o on the third item!! :o That's right, somehow I had jostled loose some kind of 'Clash of the Titans' fulcrum of reality, and the dark things were coming after me,... ahhhhh :o!!

ahhhh :o,... 666...
This third item now has set off a CDCDCD reaction that has me sweating. Even though it's a Composer who I don't feel an incredible urge to collect, I feel as though I NEED to get a companion to this item,... just because... THAT'S WHAT WE DO!! Most of the other cds I'm looking at are a lot more expensive than the, admittedly, cheap item ($6.66 was a pretty good price for the 2-cd set). Oy, the CDCDCD comes to bite one in the tookus!!

Thankfully, I have NO real money, but, I've been trolling for item less than $5. So, TECHNICALLY, I'm in a 'relapse', but I have not yet 'picked up',... as they say in 'Other Fellowships', haha.

I do have the feeling that I will be getting a few cheap things here in the very near... ooops, too late, haha!!

snyprrr

Well, it's my Thread, so I can blah blah on if I want to? Ahhh...

So, I've already mapped out the rest of the year's purchases, mm, I'll give it @20 let's say, and most are $5 or under! :o, some are normal and full price, but, as I see, most of it's just 'cream'. There's a few 'catch ups'... ok, this is some of what I've got lined up:

Satie (Takahashi)
Late Liszt (which one?)
Ravel- Trio/Duo/Sonata,... or Debussy/Ravel/Faure...

more Le Sacre

some V-W and Tippett! :o (I wonder why? ::)_

and then some

oops, if I tell you, you'll :-X...

:-X :-X :-X

Anyhow, you can see that... if I'm at V-W and Tippett, I'm already pretty up to date,... perhaps I'm up to '46-'47 as far as... nevermind, again, sorry, haha, I'm not drunk... time to go to bed,... oy!!!

Thankfully there's no new releases, and I'm just trolling for truffles now, so, even in my CDCDCD I don't feel too bad about it. Of course, I could always pull one and find a Composer like Rihm or Koechlin to get lost in those Hanssler Editions,... yeesh, I warn you, don't start collecting Composers who end up getting loooong Editions out of very expensive labels (I know, I know,... but).

Frankly, I've enjoying what I have now for almost four months, and I have been able to use YouTube to do all my research, and I'm always easily discouraged, so that's been working out.

Finally,... after the $6'66 cd, I pulled the plug on Crumb's Black Angels. It was $1.99 (which is almost 666 upside down :o). What's next... Wuorinen?

vandermolen

For me the awful thing is buying CDs only to find that I already have them in my collection  :o :o :o

Has anyone else had this worrying development? Hopefully not;

'Let the shipwrecks of others be your sea marks'

A warning to you all.  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: snyprrr on March 30, 2012, 08:48:18 PM
... yeesh, I warn you, don't start collecting Composers who end up getting loooong Editions out of very expensive labels...

Too late! I've been hooked by Fey's Haydn cycle on Hänssler and Honeck's Mahler cycle on Exton.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2012, 12:24:40 AM
For me the awful thing is buying CDs only to find that I already have them in my collection  :o :o :o

Has anyone else had this worrying development? Hopefully not

Despite the fact I keep a catalogue of my purchases, I've still done that about six times in the last few years. My last brain scan showed no abnormalities, so I guess I'm just naturally stupid and/or old  ;D  Most of my duplicates have found good homes.

Sarge