Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn dave

Rules for 2014:

1. Don't buy it if it's available on Spotify.

2. Concentrate on the hundreds of albums you already own instead of buying new ones.

Brian

Quote from: mn dave on January 03, 2014, 12:23:13 PM
I have this rule, but for Naxos Music Library. It recently backfired when all of Sony was added to NML after I collected like 30 of the super duper cheap Sony box sets.

mn dave

Quote from: 71 dB on January 03, 2014, 11:43:37 AM
I love popular music for that and I hate it for being 99 % crap.  ::)

Everything's 99% crap.  :)

mn dave

Quote from: Brian on January 03, 2014, 12:34:45 PM
I have this rule, but for Naxos Music Library. It recently backfired when all of Sony was added to NML after I collected like 30 of the super duper cheap Sony box sets.

Well, how could you have known?

Brian

Quote from: mn dave on January 03, 2014, 12:35:48 PM
Well, how could you have known?
Yeah! I also dropped $200 on Harmonia Mundi CDs, but I don't regret that, because they're really good and also it took several years for Harmonia Mundi to arrive on NML.

Sammy

Quote from: Brian on January 03, 2014, 12:46:38 PM
Yeah! I also dropped $200 on Harmonia Mundi CDs, but I don't regret that, because they're really good and also it took several years for Harmonia Mundi to arrive on NML.

I don't stop myself from buying a cd if it's on NML.  After all, I could dump NML tomorrow, and all those great HM cps would drop from my musical world.

Sammy

Quote from: 71 dB on January 03, 2014, 11:43:37 AM
Since the new year began, I have been putting all the CDs bought 2013 in their places. Until now these CDs have been all over the place, on the floor, on tables, on my midi keayboard etc. I still have a pile of 27 Naxos CDs on the floor. Looks like I have 15 cm room in my shelf.  :-\

I love classival music but I also hate it. Without classical music I wouldn't have any problems with CDs. The amount of classical music is just too much. Too many composers, too many works and too many performances available! The amount of ridiculously cheap bargains is insane! I could use MORE money on music but the consumption of shelf space is disastrous not to mention time limitations. It's not about money. It's about shelf space and time (spacetime  ;D )

I think I will be buying some Elder's Elgar discs this year, but that's pretty much it! Maybe I filter all "bad" CDs away to make room. I need to listen to more the CDs I have. The 170 CD Mozart box, Suzuki's Bach Cantatas, William Christie's Charpentier Médée, etc. So much to listen to! 

Buy a few more of those large boxes and you'll be in big trouble. ;D

71 dB

Not planning of buying large boxes...  :o

Quote from: mn dave on January 03, 2014, 12:34:53 PM
Everything's 99% crap.  :)

Not everything. I don't think classical music is 99 % crap.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pat B

Rules for 2014:
2. Concentrate on the hundreds of albums you already own instead of buying new ones.

I'm going to try to follow #2. I'm especially trying to cut back on duplicating repertoire. Whether this will be successful is an open question.

mn dave

Quote from: Pat B on January 03, 2014, 04:01:18 PM
I'm going to try to follow #2. I'm especially trying to cut back on duplicating repertoire. Whether this will be successful is an open question.

Good luck!  0:)

Wakefield

Rules for 2014:

On the contrary, I use Spotify as an useful tool to decide which disk is worth of being purchased.  :)

Your number 2 is incontrovertible.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

mn dave

Quote from: Gordo on January 03, 2014, 05:46:21 PM
On the contrary, I use Spotify as an useful tool to decide which disk is worth of being purchased.  :)

If something strikes me as a masterpiece, which doesn't happen often these days.

Wakefield

Quote from: mn dave on January 03, 2014, 05:48:18 PM
If something strikes me as a masterpiece, which doesn't happen often these days.

Yes, I agree: the "masterpiece-standard" would be a good one to be observed. :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

snyprrr

yes, it's definitely 'that' time for this Thread, haha!

You know, I just looove getting things in the mail. But, you all should really be following the Golden Rule of CDCDCD: LISTEN TO WHAT YOU BUY!! I know you all have stacks of unopened BoxSets that I could be listening to right now!!

mn dave

Quote from: snyprrr on January 04, 2014, 10:45:05 AM
yes, it's definitely 'that' time for this Thread, haha!

You know, I just looove getting things in the mail. But, you all should really be following the Golden Rule of CDCDCD: LISTEN TO WHAT YOU BUY!! I know you all have stacks of unopened BoxSets that I could be listening to right now!!

Just for fun over the weekend, instead of hunting for more crap to purchase, I did some iTunes sorting. Now I'm organized and ready to listen to what I already own!

snyprrr

Quote from: mn dave on January 06, 2014, 05:48:11 AM
Just for fun over the weekend, instead of hunting for more crap to purchase, I did some iTunes sorting. Now I'm organized and ready to listen to what I already own!

(everyone claps)

See, everyone, that's how you do it! lock and load

mn dave

But now...the jokers at Metal Sucks posted that, during the month of January, Amazon has 10,000 hard rock and metal albums on sale for $5-6.99.  :o

fck fck fck!

DavidW

I have a similar problem with movies.  A good rule of thumb is if you won't mind paying full price for it then buy it.  If you wouldn't, then forget about it, it obviously isn't valuable enough to you.

NJ Joe

I've been trying to do this for years, but I

just. can't. stop.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

snyprrr

Well, I bought three cds simply for their mortar quality, but here's what happened with one- I had seen it used for $7, but then when I went ot buy it I couldn't find the listing, so I got the full price SACD- but when it came I was displeased with the SACD jewel case that I searched for the $7 normal cd, and HAD TO BUY IT (now that IS the clinical definition of CDCDCD I believe!). See how I already ran into problems with only 3 cds? Imagine if I had the financial clout some of you have, ay ay ay.

So, the "cd" of the "sacd" I bought should be arriving today. Anyone a Christian Lindberg fan?